PDA

View Full Version : I missed a great photo op, but have a question?

Splitlip
06-07-2009, 08:43
Yesterday, my buddy and I were begining our accent from a 75 ft dive. Because I was carrying my camera (with a dead battery!), it was agreed my buddy would shoot his marker. He likes to do it from about 40 ft.

So as usual, around 50 ft he starts going through the deployment exercise and I am farting around like 15 ft behind him. I see 2 divers I did not know materialze ahead of us wearing shark shields with one carrying a stringer of bleeding Hogs. At this point I am reminded of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Marlin Perkin's explanation of how predators cull the herds on the Serengeti by taking down slower animals at the rear. I decide to do a 360.

I was surprised to see a Loggerhead turtle, about the size of 1963 Chevy Impala's hood and with a head the size of a fresh ham, hanging at around my 4:00. I think "cool", my buddy has to see this one. I fin over to him to get his attention and we both spin around and the frikkin turtle is still at my 4:00, close enough that I could pat her on the head if I wanted to.

Now mind you we are all drifting along at a couple miles an hour about 30 feet off the bottom. We have to get our marker up. We know the other 2 divers have their own marker up, presumably with their boat operator having no idea that my buddy and I are there.

With all the activity with the other boat, other marker we don't want to throw the turtle in the mix. God forbid, she get tangled up in our line. Obviousely, when somebody is shooting a marker, the best place to be is below him. That is where I was hanging with the turtle dutifuly at my hip, attached by the invisible string.

All the same, my buddy was being careful should the turtle decide to head for the surface. So there we were drifting along with my new friend at my side, but we need to get our marker up. So I try "shooing" the girl away. Nothing. I try swimming towards her. She just moved with me maintaining the same distance between us.

I this point I start acting like an idiot. I start shrugging my shoulders at the girl and waving my arms like I am saying "what?", "what?". Finally after several minutes, she swam away.

We got our marker up, completed a safety stop and surfaced to find our boat nowhere in sight. I had to laugh. "because of a frikkin turtle, we're heading to Bermuda."

Anyway. longer story than I planned. The sad thing was I did not take any pictures. I parked my camera rig when the batteries died. In hind sight, I realized might have been able to squeek on more shot after giving the batteries a rest. Oh well.

Oh. My question. Did she think I was "HOT". :) Or maybe she was a he. LOL

IrishSquid
06-07-2009, 14:40

You don't look like Barry Manilow do you?

K9Pig
06-07-2009, 14:52

You don't look like Barry Manilow do you?

I was thinking more like, Tom Jones... I loved swimming with the turtles.

Cheddarchick
06-07-2009, 16:43
More like Davy Jones....

navyhmc
06-07-2009, 20:30
Cool experience even if you didn't get photos.

FishFood
06-07-2009, 20:39
I guess the real question is... How did you get out of the water? :dunno:

Splitlip
06-08-2009, 06:13
I guess the real question is... How did you get out of the water? :dunno:

LOL. They spotted us more quickly than I expected. Our driver pretty much knew where we were all the time, but left briefly to pick up a stray diver. Of course I did not know it at the time.

It was Saturday morning, so worst case I would have hitched a ride on the first boat that came along than get on the radio. I have picked up drifting divers on my boat and once was picked up by a stranger when my father lost me and my brother.

navyhmc
06-08-2009, 09:34
I had that happen once out of West Palm Beach. There wer about 5 charters in the same area and we got onto the wrong boat. No problem, they knew where our boat was and just took us over to it. The ironic thing was that a pair of their divers were on our charter.

It's all good and i'm glad to see that the dive boats there help each other and the divers out.

moosicman
06-08-2009, 23:23
And no sharks chasing the food huh?

Splitlip
06-09-2009, 06:23
And no sharks chasing the food huh?

That was my buddy's question as we drifted. LOL