PDA

View Full Version : DIN vs. Yoke

danielh03
08-25-2007, 02:20
I have been preached and preached to about Din, is it really the future? I see so few of them out there myself. I do like the design though. Any thoughts?

Advokat
08-25-2007, 02:23
I have been preached and preached to about Din, is it really the future? I see so few of them out there myself. I do like the design though. Any thoughts?

Choose which ever you are more comfortable with and which ever is more common in you region

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 04:46
DIN with a yoke adaptor (as necessary) seems like a good way to go.

Advokat
08-25-2007, 05:34
DIN with a yoke adaptor (as necessary) seems like a good way to go.

But you need to consider, that such set up will be a little bit heavier and with some regs, there is a chance that you will be constantly hitting your head against the reg

cummings66
08-25-2007, 07:00
If you own your tanks and dive mostly local then I say DIN is the way to go. I use DIN, I've never had an O ring failure or any kind of leakage like I used to when I dove with Yoke.

I don't know that it's the future, but it is what I use.

plot
08-28-2007, 21:41
in the midwest and east (dunno about the west, i've heard rumors they might be mainly DIN) go with yoke simply becuase that's what all the shops are going to have to rent you. a DIN with a yoke adaptor is pretty pointless IMO.

If you only dive your own tanks, then DIN is the way to go... you might want to get a yoke adaptor for the DIN though so the local shop can fill it.

meesier42
08-29-2007, 11:19
I have been told that DIN is the norm in Europe and therefore RedSea and other destinations. Haven't personnally verified that. There was a big push for DIN in the US, but then XS/ Worthinton came out with the new HP steel tank (3442) that was compatible with Yoke and the DIN movement kind of died.

ScaredSilly
08-29-2007, 22:37
When I was livng in France ten years ago you saw both. In the Red Sea mostly yoke also ten years ago.

paintsnow
09-04-2007, 22:20
i dont see what the issue is, din is more compatible because it can go in a 300bar din valve, a 200 bar din valve and a yoke with a simple screw on adapter.

with a din reg you can use your own regs anywhere you go instead of finding out you have to rent a set because the shop has different valves.

and isnt the point of buying your own regs that you dont have to rent nasty sand filled, octo dragged regs anymore?

ScubaGir1
09-04-2007, 22:31
I have a DIN to Yoke converter for my Legend. It works GREAT and its not any bigger than just having a Yoke the normal way (w/o having to use a converter). :) That's one way to go :smiley20:

finflippers
09-04-2007, 22:40
I wish on my last reg purchase I would of gotten a 300DIN regulator with an adapter that way I could use any tank without having to worry about the pressure of the tank or type of valve on the tank.

somewhereinla
09-04-2007, 22:46

DIN is a better design, O ring is less likely to fail and it is more popular than yoke outside the U.S. It is also getting more and more popular here inthe U.S as well. Most new tank have valves that can accomodate both DIN and Yoke.

texdiveguy
09-04-2007, 23:04
All 7 of my first stages are DIN...I keep a Yoke converter in my scuba gear bag for 'those' times.

danielh03
09-05-2007, 03:49
Whats the average cost differance? 300 bar DIN? What are most rated at?

finflippers
09-05-2007, 08:37
300 bar DIN?

A 300 BAR DIN regulator has a longer connector than a 200 BAR regulator. So a 200 BAR regulator will only fit a 200 BAR valve, but a 300 BAR regulator will fit either a 200 or 300 BAR valve.

subsur
09-05-2007, 08:49
i don't know if it's the future or not but i'd advise you to stick with DIN reg and get a DIN to Yoke adaptor for the reg. seems like a fool proof solution. it's very possible to all you need is Yoke reg but it's nice to have your options open and the aforementioned desin is the most versatile one (din reg with an adaptor for Yoke tanks)

BSea
09-05-2007, 15:08
All my new gear is din. I really don't think it's a big deal either way, it's just the way I wanted to go. I have an adapter, so when I travel I bring it. If I'm on a liveaboard, and all they have is yoke, I'll convert my reg to yoke before I go. It's about $50 extral to get the conversion kit to change it back to a yoke reg.

All my tanks have the convertable valvue so I can use them for either din or yoke. I have some vintage regs that are yoke, so this setup works for me.

Aussie
09-05-2007, 17:35
I have 4 regs all DIN. Most brands offer the DIN with yoke adaptor for the same price as the yoke reg.

The yoke adaptor weighs about 250grams so its not going to make much difference. It does move your first stage out by a couple of inches so some might have issues with banging their head (just move the cylinder down a bit).
You can buy converison kits for most regs to convert them from yoke to DIN as well as DIN back to yoke. But once you go DIN you dont go back.
I heard that Faber Steel Cylinders are now in the states. There LP steels 232bar rate have a combo valve so you can have yoke or unscrew the plug and have DIN.
The 300bar DIN only accept DIN regs as there isnt any plugs for them as they have a longer thread.

I would buy a new reg with DIN and a yoke adaptor. Buy a new Faber 12.2L (100cf) and unscrew the DIN plug and you have a great setup.

Aussie

ScubaGir1
09-05-2007, 17:36
i don't know if it's the future or not but i'd advise you to stick with DIN reg and get a DIN to Yoke adaptor for the reg. seems like a fool proof solution. it's very possible to all you need is Yoke reg but it's nice to have your options open and the aforementioned desin is the most versatile one (din reg with an adaptor for Yoke tanks)
That's exactly why I got a DIN reg. and then got the adapter. I couldn't decided, so I went the "fool proof way" LOL :smiley20:

danielh03
09-06-2007, 01:15
Well, I guess I will do as the romans do, lol.

robjoubert
09-16-2007, 15:25
OK guys - newbie question time: when looking at the regs on ST's website (or any website for that matter), how do I know if the reg has a DIN or a yoke?

plot
09-16-2007, 19:12
OK guys - newbie question time: when looking at the regs on ST's website (or any website for that matter), how do I know if the reg has a DIN or a yoke?

assume it's yoke unless otherwise noted.

BobArnold8265
09-16-2007, 21:21
I use din on my personal tanks and regs. I think having a din set-up on your reg with a yoke gives you the most flexibility and will have you covered regardless of where you travel.

robjoubert
09-16-2007, 22:22
Thanks - does ST carry a yoke to din (or vice versa) "converter"?

scubafreak
09-17-2007, 01:10
As far as I know there is only a DIN to Yolk converter and not the other way around.

plot
09-17-2007, 06:15
I use din on my personal tanks and regs. I think having a din set-up on your reg with a yoke gives you the most flexibility and will have you covered regardless of where you travel.

where have you traveled that didn't have yoke setups?

chinacat46
09-17-2007, 07:21
I've traveled to a number of places and all I've ever seen are yokes. DIN is a better design IMO but yoke seems to be the standard everywhere I've been.

wxboy911
09-17-2007, 07:33
I like the DIN design but still have not converted-I have only had a need for yoke regs even when I travel. I may decide to do the change over on my next reg...or just keep two regs one of each.

BSea
09-17-2007, 08:11
Most regs are yoke with an option for din, but not all. For example, the poseidon regs are din and the Apeks ds4 (st doesn't sell this line) is din. I don't think either is available in a yoke version.

From my experience, you can buy a reg either din or yoke for the same price if it comes in both versions. However, if you buy din and want the yoke adapter, the adapter is extra.

plot
09-17-2007, 16:38
Every place has yoke. I agree that DIN is better, but adding an extra convertor just to have a DIN reg that is always used on a yoke tank set up? Doesn't seem like a great idea to me...

BSea
09-17-2007, 16:44
Every place has yoke. I agree that DIN is better, but adding an extra convertor just to have a DIN reg that is always used on a yoke tank set up? Doesn't seem like a great idea to me...
I guess it depends on if you have your own din tanks, and for most of your diving you use your own tanks. This year I've used rental tanks for 11 dives. On 8 of those dives I could rent din tanks, so this year I've only had to use the yoke converter 3 times. The rest of my dives I used my own tanks, so no converter was needed.