PDA

View Full Version : Just joined DAN

baywatch106
06-09-2009, 00:48
Having just joined DAN last night I was wondering if anyone on the forum has actually used the insurance offered by dan for anything like DCI?

Roughwater
06-09-2009, 02:29
I looked at Dan only a couple of months ago due to an O'seas trip coming up. So far the verdict (in Oz anyway) is:

- You shouldn't need DAN insurance whilst IN Australia (if you're a resident) as health cover (medicare) should cover you.

- You shouldn't need DAN insurance whilst OUT of your country as your holiday insurance should cover you.

- You should take out Dan membership as they can be very beneficial with organising evacuation and treatment in an emergency.

However, Dan Asia-Pacific (what we have here in Aus) has much less to offer than DAN USA. (I believe USA also covers gear loss, etc which isn't covered in Asia-Pacific).

However, in saying all that, I got DAN insurance to be on the safe side anyway as we will be doing deep dives.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say...

navyhmc
06-09-2009, 04:42
I took out the DAN insurance, hoping I never need it. Let's face it, less than $100 per year to help defray $10,000's is a good deal. The fact that they have a vertiable treasure trove of dving meidcine at their finger tips to help in my care if something does happen is a good thing as well.

jet126
06-09-2009, 05:56
I am a veteran of 12 marathons and an avid scuba diver. July 2007 I was gearing up to begin my DM and also train for the Disney marathon. I was in the best shape of my life. And driving home from work one afternoon I suffered a stroke. Because I didn't fit ANY profile for "stroke victim" the doctors first suspected diving-related. DAN covered the ambulance to Mercy Hosp in Miami and two chamber rides, plus my stay at Mercy.

I had also already paid for a week live aboard that Sept. DAN reimbursed my vacation (except airfare).

I'm the poster child for if-it-can-happen-to-me-it-can-happen-to-anyone. DAN is definitely worth it!

And just in case you're wondering: yes, I am diving again.

jet126
06-09-2009, 06:03
And in reply to Roughwater. Check with your own health insurance but most US companies do NOT cover chamber rides or transport to/from. One treatment can cost several thousand $$.

DAN's top policy is around $100 - super cheap in comparison.

JCAT
06-09-2009, 06:43
Have been a DAN member for 5 years. Never used them, hope I never do.

Their research is invaluable to the Scuba community, not just about insurance.

Sansho
06-09-2009, 06:59
A person on a trip with our LDS and required a helicopter flight from St Croix to San Juan for DCS chamber treatment, and the helicopter required $1000 payment up front, which DAN covered.

chinacat46
06-09-2009, 07:24
Many live aboards require you have dive insurance. It doesn't have to be DAN but you do have to show proof(usually when booking). Dive Assure is a combo of dive and travel insurance which is also accepted.

UofTOrange
06-09-2009, 08:13
I'm a member as my LDS does it when you are a "platinum member", but I do need to look into the insurance

fire diver
06-09-2009, 09:04
UofT, could you clarify? I'm not understanding your statement.

I purchased the family plan of DAN's highest level for my daughter and me (both divers) and basic for my wife and son who don't dive right now.

Every dive sight I go to is covered by the distance from home for coverage help.

I have good insurance, but it doesn't cover things like air transport. Even what it does cover, still leaves a LOT to come out of my own pocket. I hope I never need DAN's insurance, but it's so cheap compared to the alternative of thousands out of my own pocket I could have to pay.

scubadiver888
06-09-2009, 10:28
My last two companies had me insured up the wazoo. I recently switched jobs and my insurance is something like, "we'll notified next of kin free of charge." and not much else. :smiley36:

My government gives me coverage when at home and now DAN covers me everywhere else.

Growing up I was subjected to things like Murphy's law, O'Toole corollary, etc. I don't know who it is attributed to but the list of 'laws & corollaries' included, "If you have coverage, you'll probably not need it but the moment you aren't covered you will will definitely need it." :smiley2:

Miked
06-09-2009, 11:55
I have had to use my DAN insurance , and was very pleased with the entire process.
Be aware that the DAN insurance policy is a "secondary insurance". That is, it "kicks in" after your regular health insurance has paid for what ever it ( the primary) covers.

In 2004, I had an incident of DCS2 while in Grand Cayman. I had to pay, by credit card, both the hospital fees and the separate chamber fee. I'm not sure if that policy applies in all hospitals/chambers or just the one I happen to be at.

When I arrived home I filed papers with my primary health insurance carrier.
They paid the majority of the medical bills, including $15,000 worth of "chamber rides".

After receiving that payment, I submitted uncovered bills, etc., to the DAN insurance people (The actual policy was from an insurance company who has an agreement with DAN). The paperwork seemed less noxious than typical insurance paperwork, and the service was very good.

That policy reimbursed me for:

Some medical costs not covered by my primary insurance carrier.

The cost of two plane tickets home, when we could not reschedule on or original airline.

The cost of shipping the home all our luggage, including dive gear, as I had written orders from the doctor to not carry, drag, or lift anything for two week period.

Most of the cost of three additional at the hotel, also the result of written orders from the doctor. The three days were required for more medical treatment.

The reimbursement for these items totaled approximately $2700.

As a result of this experience, I would never be without the DAN insurance.
I give that product my highest endorsement, while hoping you never have to use it.
Good luck,
Mike

ektess1
06-09-2009, 14:07
I am a DAN member and have the insurance.
I have never used the insurance and hope that I never need to.
I have used other Dan services.
Dan provides many great services and the dive medical research may help us all.
Many insurance policies have restrictions that I hope the DAN insurance policy can fill.

medicdiver
06-09-2009, 14:14
I know a guy who is a technical diver and he has used it 3 times. That has saved him many thousands of dollars. I have been a member for 2 years now and with the technical training I am going through there is no way I would not have it.

gee
06-09-2009, 14:50
I've had DAN insurance for several years but, I haven't made a claim. Note, I don't think that having the insurance makes me a safer diver.

divingmedic
06-09-2009, 16:24
I used to use DAN insurance. Then I switched Dive Assure. I left them they became a Federal Government Subsidy (ala AIG). Now I am back with Dan

Roughwater
06-09-2009, 17:39
And in reply to Roughwater. Check with your own health insurance but most US companies do NOT cover chamber rides or transport to/from. One treatment can cost several thousand $$.

Different countries may have different standards. I've been informed that Australia's public health system should cover chambers (whilst in Australia that is). Hope I never have to put it to the test though...

plot
06-09-2009, 17:43
i've had DAN for quite awhile, if nothing else, than to help support DAN's medical research.

not to mention, you're always a phone call away from talking to an expert on diving related illnesses and someone that can get you to the nearest hyperbolic chamber (alot of which they help maintain in popular dive destinations).

its something everyone should have, not just tech divers. i never EVER plan on using it, but at least I know my money is going for alot more than just insurance... but supporting the sport.

Bert
06-09-2009, 18:40
Member for 1.5 years, through school I just took the DAN O2course

SEMO Scuba
06-10-2009, 12:48
I signed up with DAN before I had my open water certification dives completed. It's one insurance policy that I don't mind paying.

navyhmc
06-10-2009, 16:02
I can remember when DAN was new. Been a long standing member.

petronius
06-14-2009, 22:48
I've been a member for about 2.5 minutes (thanks for reminding me!) - thus far, I have made no claims. However, the night is young...

CompuDude
06-15-2009, 15:09
Definitely a member, and definitely have the insurance. Gear insurance is a separate policy, and well worth it. Never needed the medical insurance (knock wood), but I've made three claims on the gear insurance. Worth every penny!

UofTOrange
06-16-2009, 11:49
Joined yesterday and got dive insurance. It was funny, I had called them last week to find out something (long story) and I had written down info to call. I was looking at that paper thinking "I need to call them" and my phone rang. Wayne from DAN was following up with me. Pretty nice coincidence!

scubagirlj
06-16-2009, 13:05
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

chinacat46
06-16-2009, 13:55
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

DON'T leave home without it!

tk trekers
06-16-2009, 15:14
As everyone has already mentioned, one of the best policies for the costs involved and they offer so much more!