PDA

View Full Version : How to get your friends/partner interested in Scuba?

porsche060
08-25-2007, 07:43
For those "solo" divers not by choice, any tricks to get a buddy or partner into scuba. I'm sure it just easier to find a scuba buddy then teach a buddy scuba but...

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 07:46
Step 1. Get a girlfriend/boyfriend.
Step 2. Buy them an expensive ring to convert them to a fiance
Step 3. Take them on an all expenses paid vacation to the carribean
Step 4. Suggest taking a DSD while there

greyzen
08-25-2007, 10:44
Yeah, I tried that...
My wife is all about snorkeling.

She went and got scuba cert'd... but really isn't all that interested in pursuing a new life as a diver. She likes going on vacations and getting some dives in, but not really interestred in going FOR the dives.

porsche060
08-25-2007, 19:14
Step 1. Get a girlfriend/boyfriend.
Step 2. Buy them an expensive ring to convert them to a fiance
Step 3. Take them on an all expenses paid vacation to the carribean
Step 4. Suggest taking a DSD while there

Not sure I'd want to dive with someone who got certified on a video course while on vacation. The problem is I want my future buddy or buddies to take a reg several week course, so they understand all aspects of diving.. video courses at resorts, well i'm sure there are a few that are decent

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 19:17
well after the dsd she went on to get ow, aow, rescue, dm all because she had so much fun.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-25-2007, 19:33
tell them theres treasure out there. Its hard to get people into it if they have no interest in it, you have to try and find people that want to do it in first place.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 19:42
And people who can afford to. This is expensive!
it's worth it... but expensive.

:smiley16:

WV Diver
08-25-2007, 19:46
I promised my wife a beautiful, tropical vacation after years of trying to get her to certify without success and presto, a shiny new diver. We went to Bonaire, she loved it and now she has the "disease" as bad as I do.

Kingpatzer
08-26-2007, 09:15
I had my wife do OW before our trip. She hated the class and everything associated with it. She finished it but was pissy about the whole idea, certain that the vacation would be the worst one ever (it was my year to pick though, so she had to go along :) ).

It turned out that she loved it and can't wait to go again. Next year it's her turn to pick and she's debating as to which live-aboard we'll be going on. She's also gotten our two oldest son's certified, and next month she finishes her rescue diver course.

skippy11
08-26-2007, 20:15
If you find that something that works, I'd like to know. My hubby had a pretty bad experience w/ Discovery Class. He is open to trying it again, even going through OW. However, I'm not sure he is saying it for himself, or for me. He had to listen to me go on and on about my dive experiences while in Cozumel and now my OW Class. I have expressed how much I wish he was my dive buddy instead of a stranger, so maybe he will go thru w/ the class. Hopefully, he will enjoy it as much as I.

Several of my friends have expressed interest, but it is not the same as your spouse enjoying something this exciting w/ you.

plot
08-28-2007, 21:51
Show them pictures from your dive trips. :D

also check out http://www.divebuddy.com/

Disneymom
08-29-2007, 08:53
It's kind of crazy - ever since I certified, they're kind of coming out of the woodwork, wanting to give it a try. As of this date, I've/we've got 6 friends and 3 family members wanting to try diving. I think I'm going to ask my instructors for some kind of referral program. :smiley36: And of course, ya'll know the story of my hubby! For him, it just took him hearing about the great time I was having, and he has done his share of bubble-watching - which has given him time to consider that it might actually be pretty cool to do.

Skippy - I'm not sure where you're at in OK, but maybe hubby can try discover again with a different instructor. At least he's willing to try OW, and hopefully it is for him. I hope, for you guys, that he does enjoy it!

thor
08-29-2007, 08:59
I promised my wife a beautiful, tropical vacation after years of trying to get her to certify without success and presto, a shiny new diver. We went to Bonaire, she loved it and now she has the "disease" as bad as I do.

Can you please infect my wife. She dives, but she somehow got cured of the addiction when we had our second child. She keeps making lame excuses like, "I have to feed our son" or "We can't leave him all alone in the house just to go diving." Priorities, priorities.

RonFrank
08-29-2007, 09:18
Diving is not something that you should push anyone into. If your requirement for a SO, wife, whatever is that they dive, you best find someone that is *into it* as a requirement for a relationship.

If not, well then so be it. Think about it... what if all the people out there made a personal interest a requirement for a relationship. How many *guys* are into crafting, cooking, sewing, fashion, interior decor, or the more feminine hobby's that a lot of woman are into?

scubasamurai
08-29-2007, 11:18
my wife has this thing about water and being closed in so it is a dead issue no matter how much time we spend in the islands and yes we spend alot of time down there, me diving and her with you boyfriends hahahh, everybody is happy

lucidblue
08-29-2007, 18:56
A couple of my friends are interested in scuba, but they're not doing anything about it. One quit her job to go into a master's program. She's finishing in December... hopefully after that she'll get another good job and have the money to do it. My other friend and her husband that want to dive, live in Chicago and have the money to do it, we could probably only meet up once a year for a vacation or something, which would be fun.

diverdad
08-29-2007, 19:03
i have been working on my wife for about 2 years. it looks like im going to get my kids certified before her. which is all right but it is not the same

Xspect
08-30-2007, 18:33
easy go to on exotic locations and tell them only divers can go.

georoc01
08-31-2007, 20:24
I think most people want that I know think its cool, but are afraid for whatever reason to do it. Some its a lack of basic swimming skills. Other its a fear of deep water.

You get them past their fears, they will jump in the water with you every time.

somewhereinla
09-02-2007, 02:06
It depends where you live and the type of diving you do... Most divers are vacation divers, if it's your case it should be easier to find people interested in diving with you, all you have to do is find an exotic location... If you are looking for buddies to dive in the area where you live, then it might be more difficult. The best way is to look for local scuba clubs or local scuba forums. I dive mostly in Southern Cal., and I have found that the biggest chalenge to get my girlfriend or some of my friends diving, is the water temperature. Most people don't like cold water. I do tell them that with a dry suit or a 7mm wetsuit they won't be cold, they still seem very reluctant to dive with me.

divechaplain-sara
09-02-2007, 02:29
I think that sharing our own enthusiasm for diving is the key to getting someone else interested. It is what got me interested to the point of getting certified. I've always loved to swim, loved to be around the water, loved watching Jacques Cousteau. 5 years ago, I went on a camping and whitewater rafting trip with some friends. We drove from Texas to Colorado and back and spent two days in Colorado. We had all met as part of a Christian Singles group. One of the other ladies and I had both got involved in ballroom dancing through that group as well and were scheduled to go on a cruise to Cozumel in the Fall with our dancing buddies. What seemed like half the trip to and from CO, she talked about diving and how much fun it was going to be when she went diving during our cruise stop in Cozumel. She talked about what all she would get to see there and just about how wonderful diving itself was. The spiritual experience of diving. By the time we got back, home I wanted to learn to dive. I took an open water class, told a friend who had a dive flag on her car about the class and got her to take it with me. My first dive post certification was in Cozumel on the cruise and my next ocean dive was in Hawaii with my friend that I invited to join the class with me.

plot
09-02-2007, 07:09
I think that sharing our own enthusiasm for diving is the key to getting someone else interested. It is what got me interested to the point of getting certified. I've always loved to swim, loved to be around the water, loved watching Jacques Cousteau. 5 years ago, I went on a camping and whitewater rafting trip with some friends. We drove from Texas to Colorado and back and spent two days in Colorado. We had all met as part of a Christian Singles group. One of the other ladies and I had both got involved in ballroom dancing through that group as well and were scheduled to go on a cruise to Cozumel in the Fall with our dancing buddies. What seemed like half the trip to and from CO, she talked about diving and how much fun it was going to be when she went diving during our cruise stop in Cozumel. She talked about what all she would get to see there and just about how wonderful diving itself was. The spiritual experience of diving. By the time we got back, home I wanted to learn to dive. I took an open water class, told a friend who had a dive flag on her car about the class and got her to take it with me. My first dive post certification was in Cozumel on the cruise and my next ocean dive was in Hawaii with my friend that I invited to join the class with me.

your friend randomly had a dive flag on her car when she wasn't certified? not that i dissaprove or anything, but that's kind of odd..

chewyjr15
09-02-2007, 09:27
i wish i could get my girlfreind to become OW certified with me

divechaplain-sara
09-02-2007, 18:19

your friend randomly had a dive flag on her car when she wasn't certified? not that i dissaprove or anything, but that's kind of odd..

It wasn't totally random that she had one. Her grandfather lived on Maui. Her uncle who was certified moved to Maui and sold his car to her rather than pay to ship it to Maui. She had done one of those scuba discovery things when she had been out visiting them so she thought the sticker was cool and didn't take it off the car when she got it. I thought she was already certified because of the sticker on her car and fortunately brought up the class to her before it started instead of half-way through it. She's been a great dive buddy.

jwdizney
09-02-2007, 22:54
I think there's a lot to be said about the quality and thoroughness of the training facility. I was enthusiastically against the whole idea of getting in deep water, much less going under and diving, but i witnessed a training program that was slow, thorough, and detailed with emphasis on the student and his/her comfort level as my wife went through her OW classes. seeing their dedication to COMPLETE training and diver confidence helped me better understand the safety of proper diving technique. I would not recommend any "quick" courses, because I think it could overlook some very important training issues or even push a new diver into an uncomfortable situation. many of the fears of diving are based on myths about the dangers that no longer exist.... knowledge is power!

plot
09-03-2007, 07:42
I think there's a lot to be said about the quality and thoroughness of the training facility. I was enthusiastically against the whole idea of getting in deep water, much less going under and diving, but i witnessed a training program that was slow, thorough, and detailed with emphasis on the student and his/her comfort level as my wife went through her OW classes. seeing their dedication to COMPLETE training and diver confidence helped me better understand the safety of proper diving technique. I would not recommend any "quick" courses, because I think it could overlook some very important training issues or even push a new diver into an uncomfortable situation. many of the fears of diving are based on myths about the dangers that no longer exist.... knowledge is power!

just out of curiosity, what myths are you talking about? Leviathan?

jwdizney
09-03-2007, 08:45

just out of curiosity, what myths are you talking about? Leviathan?

Diving is dangerous.. for starters! "you can get the bends", you'll get lost or sink straight to the bottom....basically, all the normal safety concerns, only blown WAY out of proportion for a non-diver. I've found that diving is an extremely safe sport, but can be very unforgiving of carelessness or wrecklessness.

we don't have a Leviathan here in OK, but i've heard of catfish as big as a car, that eat divers!..... hopefully, that's a myth too!

fire diver
09-03-2007, 09:04
we don't have a Leviathan here in OK, but i've heard of catfish as big as a car, that eat divers!..... hopefully, that's a myth too!

I've heard those stories too. I've even gone looking for them. Never seen one though. Never even seen anything as big as a 20-30 pounder. Biggest fish I've seen yet was a largemouth bass. She may have been a contender for the state record.

That school of minnows your wife and I swam through was huge, and really cool though!

FD

skippy11
09-07-2007, 10:33
It's kind of crazy - ever since I certified, they're kind of coming out of the woodwork, wanting to give it a try. As of this date, I've/we've got 6 friends and 3 family members wanting to try diving. I think I'm going to ask my instructors for some kind of referral program. :smiley36: And of course, ya'll know the story of my hubby! For him, it just took him hearing about the great time I was having, and he has done his share of bubble-watching - which has given him time to consider that it might actually be pretty cool to do.

Skippy - I'm not sure where you're at in OK, but maybe hubby can try discover again with a different instructor. At least he's willing to try OW, and hopefully it is for him. I hope, for you guys, that he does enjoy it!

Disneymom, I am from Durant (Area) of Oklahoma. My class was held in Sherman, Tx. My hubby had a really bad experience w/ Discovery. But, I have learned so much more and the pace was slow enough to retain everything the instructor was teaching. I know my husband will take the class, now it is just when.

skippy11
09-07-2007, 10:35

Disneymom, I am from Durant (Area) of Oklahoma. My class was held in Sherman, Tx. My hubby had a really bad experience w/ Discovery. But, I have learned so much more and the pace was slow enough to retain everything the instructor was teaching. I know my husband will take the class b/c he has seen how much more I love it. Now the question is when.