PDA

View Full Version : What is the best cozumel dive for someone on a cruise?

GoToTheRock
06-09-2009, 22:34
I am going on a cruise with my girlfriend and her family and we are stopping off in Cozumel for one day. Her dad is planning to do a scuba diving shore excursion and I was wondering if any of ya'll might know of the good ones. He has heard that Cozumel is a fantastic dive area but doesn't know which dive to go on. I will pass on your suggestions. You might want to know that he doesn't have his own gear but he is certified and has been on several dives including a few down in Maui where he and his wife went on their Anniversary.

Diver Kat
06-09-2009, 23:05
If he is booking a shore excursion with the cruise line, he will go with whatever dive op they use. If he is looking for suggestions to book with an independent dive op (and that would be my suggestion), there are lots of good ones. Personally I use Scuba with Alison, as she has always been more flexible than some when dealing with cruise ship schedules, and she has a boat that's a bit more comfortable than a standard 6-pack. I also know - from diving with her for almost 5 years, that she takes excellent care of her rental gear. I'm sure you'll get a number of recommendations, so your GF's dad may want to e-mail a number of them with questions he has so he can determine what best suits him.

Also, allot will depend on your ships schedule as most ops have a morning trip and an afternoon trip, and if you arrive to late you miss the morning slot, and leave too early you can't make the afternoon slot. Other than timing, it's pretty easy to grab a cab from the cruise pier to whereever you're meeting the dive op you choose to dive with.

Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison (http://www.scubawithalison.com/)

GoToTheRock
06-09-2009, 23:21
Cool, thanks Diver Kat. I will make sure to relay your suggestion. I am pretty sure that he doesn't plan to book one with the cruise line willy nilly. He wants to go on a spectacular dive since he has heard such great things about the area. I will tell him to check out Allison's website to check the times. Thanks for the link.

mr_tabasco
06-10-2009, 08:00
I would suggest Papa Hogs. We just got back from there and they are great. You are probably going to have to get a cab to which ever dive op you choose if it is not associated with the cruise line. Talk to Margaret or Greg and I am sure they can help you out.
Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico (http://papahogs.com/site/index2.php)

Diver mom Tulsa
07-17-2009, 08:38
Check with the cruise line to see which one they use then look it up online. I know that Carnival uses SandDollar. We did a cruise and used them and they were great and the transportation was included (the cab ride back to the pier). Dive with Martin, which is located on the International pier, won't guarantee you a spot because the schedule of the ship may vary and your debarkation may take some time.

Skinsfan1311
07-20-2009, 11:49
I booked my own dives with Eagle Ray Divers. It was a short cab ride from the cruise-ship dock, to the marina.

It's an outfit wwned by an American woman and her husband. They are very friendly. The dives were great.

DMWiz
07-20-2009, 12:40
Depending on which terminal your ship docks you could just walk down and board one of Dive with Martin (http://www.divewithmartin.com/) boats right there off of International Pier.

Skred
07-20-2009, 12:58
I booked my own dives with Eagle Ray Divers. It was a short cab ride from the cruise-ship dock, to the marina.

It's an outfit wwned by an American woman and her husband. They are very friendly. The dives were great.

+1 for Antonio and Chellie at Eagle Ray Divers. It has been several years ago, but we used them twice in the past when cruising and had good experiences both times. They are sensitive to the scheduling issues associated with arriving via cruise ship and their customer service was great.

On our first trip with them, I found out right before we departed that my computer batteries were dead (yeah, I know but this was before I was smart enough to check them before leaving home :smiley36:). Chellie made a phone call and one of her crew stopped and picked up batteries for me and delivered them to the boat.

Now that's service!

TommyD
12-02-2009, 09:58
I second SCUBA w/ Alison. Get in touch with her. She is more than happy to work with your ship's schedule. I just got back from a 2 tank dive with her on my last cruise. Very Classy Operation!!!!

mtnplayva
12-02-2009, 10:18
I second SCUBA w/ Alison. Get in touch with her. She is more than happy to work with your ship's schedule. I just got back from a 2 tank dive with her on my last cruise. Very Classy Operation!!!!
Add another vote for Alison. I dove for a week with her in June and have a day trip planned for my cruise in January. She is awesome!

firstdive2005
12-21-2009, 13:15
Scubamaucozumel.com
Give Opal a buzz her team will look after everyone very well, they get a lot of cruizers. Very safe,very fun. Amazingly good price for dives and gear. Their shop is a 2minute cab ride. Tell her kevin sent ya. Enjoy coz and all she has to offer.
ps. Yes he will get blown away from the dives.