PDA

View Full Version : You're outta here!

PlatypusMan
07-11-2007, 23:29
What item(s) of gear have you gotten, then totally gotten rid of it at the earliest opportunity? Why?

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 02:10
Retractors. They break. Usually when you least want them to. Think Stainless steel bolt snaps instead.

Cheap flashlights. They flood. Get the better light, with the good warranty. And then realize that until you get into tec lights, even those will have hiccups due to mass-production.

Poorly-fitting drysuits/wetsuits. They are baaaaad. Ditto for nearly any poorly-fitting gear I thought I could make do with.

Jacket-style BCs. Way inferior to a good bp/w with a basic hogarthian harness.

cummings66
07-12-2007, 07:28
Snorkel and jacket style BC.

jacewindu
07-12-2007, 08:53
I second the jacket BC - will never go back, and currently own a rear bladder.
depending on the dive, snorkel stays or goes, but usually goes.

also, with most of my diving, fins & booties are a no-go, full foot all the way!

Vercingetorix
07-12-2007, 10:56
I gotta agree with CompuDude.
<DIV>Retractors...gone (they get hung-up on things).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Console...gone (replaced with wrist boots for Veo 250 computer and compass).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Never bought a stab jacket...went straight to BP/W with hog harness. My rig is giving Rescue class fun-and-games, because they have to remove gear fom me when I'm a victim.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Aqualung Blades II fins. They're huge and I'm not a strong swimmer, just average. Went to hybrid.</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-12-2007, 13:35
<div>Retractors...gone (they get hung-up on things).</div>
<div></div>
<div>Console...gone (replaced with wrist boots for Veo 250 computer and compass).</div>
<div></div>
<div>Never bought a stab jacket...went straight to BP/W with hog harness. My rig is giving Rescue class fun-and-games, because they have to remove gear fom me when I'm a victim.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Aqualung Blades II fins. They're huge and I'm not a strong swimmer, just average. Went to hybrid.</div>

That's what I have my rescue cutter handy for. smileys/smiley15.gif

I still have, and like my retractors for my backup computer and my SPG. I did ditch the compass retractor and go to a wrist mount, much nicer. I hate my snorkel and wish I didn't have to wear it during class. I hated and got rid of my air2. It required I put a longer primary hose on and that made it too long. I switched to a standard primary/octo and now my BCD and reg connections are standard, which is also nice. I had a slate which was also on a retractor but it was a pain, I now have one that goes on my arm if I carry one at all. I also had a backup light that was a twist on/off, it flooded and now I have one with a real on/off switch. I'll never buy another twist type again.

mwhities
07-12-2007, 13:41
Never bought a stab jacket...went straight to BP/W with hog harness. My rig is giving Rescue class fun-and-games, because they have to remove gear fom me when I'm a victim.
<div>

I do have my DSS knife on my waist strap, I could get you out quick! :P

Michael
</div>

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 13:44
<div>Retractors...gone (they get hung-up on things).</div>
<div></div>
<div>Console...gone (replaced with wrist boots for Veo 250 computer and compass).</div>
<div></div>
<div>Never bought a stab jacket...went straight to BP/W with hog harness. My rig is giving Rescue class fun-and-games, because they have to remove gear fom me when I'm a victim.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Aqualung Blades II fins. They're huge and I'm not a strong swimmer, just average. Went to hybrid.</div>

That's what I have my rescue cutter handy for. smileys/smiley15.gif

I still have, and like my retractors for my backup computer and my SPG. I did ditch the compass retractor and go to a wrist mount, much nicer. I hate my snorkel and wish I didn't have to wear it during class. I hated and got rid of my air2. It required I put a longer primary hose on and that made it too long. I switched to a standard primary/octo and now my BCD and reg connections are standard, which is also nice. I had a slate which was also on a retractor but it was a pain, I now have one that goes on my arm if I carry one at all. I also had a backup light that was a twist on/off, it flooded and now I have one with a real on/off switch. I'll never buy another twist type again.

Twist-type lights can be good. The Photon Torpedo backup light is an excellent example of twist-actuators done right. I agree, though, most are done poorly.

As for snorkels, well, that's what pocket snorkels are made for. :) I only wear a "real" snorkel when assisting pool sessions. I always keep a pocket snorkel with me in open water, though. (Oceanic's pocket snorkel is the best by far!)

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 13:48
Never bought a stab jacket...went straight to BP/W with hog harness. My rig is giving Rescue class fun-and-games, because they have to remove gear fom me when I'm a victim.
<div>

I do have my DSS knife on my waist strap, I could get you out quick! :P

Michael
</div>
Ha! I'm sure you know by now that they are actually quite easy to get someone out of, once you know how to do it. I was very happy to be the only one wearing a hog harness in Rescue class, because after the head-scratching stopped and I demonstrated the proper way to get out, they were actually able to get me out of it as fast as the regular BCs, sometimes faster! (without cutting me out, thankyouverymuch!) And now there are that many more Rescue-trained divers out there who know the simple methods for dealing with a hog harness bp/w.

Vercingetorix
07-12-2007, 13:54
Ha! I'm sure you know by now that they are actually quite easy to get someone out of, once you know how to do it.Yep. The instructor asked me to demo to class how you get somebody out of a hog. Drop weight (I wear a crotch strap with weights outside), chicken-wing left, chicken-wing right, and I'm out. About 20 seconds. Quicker than cutting me out of rig.

MEL-DC Diver
07-12-2007, 16:19
Wrist slate with velco to secure it around the arm. Damn thing always moved or came off.

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 16:34
Wrist slate with velco to secure it around the arm. Damn thing always moved or came off.
I had one of those, and replaced the velcro with bungee. Worked quite well after that, but I still got tired of wearing it all the time when the reality is I rarely needed it. Now I keep wetnotes in my pocket permanently so I don't have to put on yet another piece of gear all the time.

MEL-DC Diver
07-12-2007, 20:16
Too funny. Exact same experience. I didn't go with the bungee, though - straight to the wet notes.

Doug B
07-12-2007, 20:46
Too funny. Exact same experience. I didn't go with the bungee, though - straight to the wet notes.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Wet notes??http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif</DIV>

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 20:53
<div></div>
<div>Wet notes??http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif</div>
A small spiral notebook of waterproof paper. I wish ScubaToys carried them!

http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/1/0/9/1/10910F-p.jpg

Centerius
07-12-2007, 23:02
<div></div>
<div>Wet notes??http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif</div>
A small spiral notebook of waterproof paper. I wish ScubaToys carried them!

http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/1/0/9/1/10910F-p.jpg

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DivewRites

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/bcds/pics/DiveRite/notebook.jpg

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 23:08
Touche... good to know! :)

GLENFWB
07-13-2007, 00:41
<DIV>Let me be the lone voice saying, don't discount the fact that a Zeagle Brigade from ScubaToys can be a good bridge between a full jacket BC and the BP/W. There are some strange people like me who have tried the BP/W and just don't like it. Not sure I would agree with the term "inferior"... a modified jacket BC can be best choice for some people depending upon where and how they dive.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
Jacket-style BCs. Way inferior to a good bp/w with a basic hogarthian harness. </DIV>

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 01:10
<div>Let me be the lone voice saying, don't discount the fact that a Zeagle Brigade from ScubaToys can be a good bridge between a full jacket BC and the BP/W. There are some strange people like me who have tried the BP/W and just don't like it. Not sure I would agree with the term "inferior"... a modified jacket BC can be best choice for some people depending upon where and how they dive.</div>
<div></div>
<div>
Jacket-style BCs. Way inferior to a good bp/w with a basic hogarthian harness. </div>
Just playing the game set up by the OP. I agree each person should dive what's right for them, and while I fully concur that the Brigade is a phenomenal BC, for me (and many others), a bp/w is a superior product. If I was to ever give up the bp/w, though a Zeagle BC (and possibly the Brigade) would be at the top of my list of potential replacements.

Fortunately, ScubaToys sells both! My beloved OxyCheq Mach V was purchased from this very site.

gangrel441
07-13-2007, 14:42
AirXS. Was interested in the streamlining properties of an integrated second/power inflator, but not very convenient to use in an emergency, and non-standard configuration (different size LP connector) meant that if BCD was in the land of lost luggage, a rental would require a reconfiguration of the regs as well.

frankc420
07-13-2007, 14:59
Jacket BC.

Rascal1933
07-15-2007, 15:49
Big ol' CROCODILE DUNDEE Dive Knife
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You Know..."That's not a knife - this is a knife."</DIV>
<DIV>Just way too big and not very practical. </DIV>

RECDiver
07-16-2007, 21:08
Oceanic Zeta regulator and Sherwood Avid BCD ( I don't like cumberbuns).

Michael
07-17-2007, 13:52
That tiny car that would barely fit a tank.

And a credit card that the wife knew about.

tx.lakerat
07-17-2007, 15:41
got rid of the small truck... went to a f150 crew cab, and jacket bcd...
<DIV></DIV>