PDA

View Full Version : first time with REAL camera

scubagirlj
06-14-2009, 10:16
OK, its going to be my first time with something other than the waterproof disposible-got a Sealife DC800 with external strobe(Thank you ST!) figuring that would be a good camera to start with after reading reviews and posts-have read a lot of articles and such about how tos and do not dos-will take it on my shallower reef dives to start with(have enough to think about when going deep or doing wrecks right now)- any helpful hints???

jet126
06-14-2009, 13:09
I am also learning with a new DC800, no external flash. I spent a lot of time getting used to the settings on land and feel pretty comfortable now with that.

Underwater try taking pictures of the same subject with and without flash so you can see the difference.

The ocean blue sea mode seems to work best for the conditions we have here in South Florida.

The Great Kazoo
06-14-2009, 15:17
I just sent mine back to SeaLife. It flooded. Be sure to put it in Sea Mode before you go in. Lake mode if you are in a lake. I use a 4GB card and never need it all. I am shooting Video with it now (er...was). Maybe they will send a new one.

ektess1
06-14-2009, 20:12
If you get overwelmed during the dive, put it away. It is part of the learning process.

DevilDiver
06-14-2009, 23:32
Have fun!
Try to get as close to your subjects as possible and try different angles but don't shoot down at a subject.
If it's your fist time with a strobe be careful shooting subjects with a light or sand background, it will overexpose.

scubarobin
06-30-2009, 11:30
OK, its going to be my first time with something other than the waterproof disposible-got a Sealife DC800 with external strobe(Thank you ST!) figuring that would be a good camera to start with after reading reviews and posts-have read a lot of articles and such about how tos and do not dos-will take it on my shallower reef dives to start with(have enough to think about when going deep or doing wrecks right now)- any helpful hints???

#1....get close, closer than you think you should be
#2....shoot up, don't take pictures above a subject looking down. (rarely do these make good photos)
#3...go slow, many divers scare away the fish by swimming up too fast
#4...go slow, you would be surprised what you will find if you stop and look
#5...be safe, don't forget to watch your gauges and watch your buddy
#6...have fun, don't get overwhelmed
#7....practice, practice, practice! Put the camera in the housing and walk around your house taking photos. Get used to your camera before you get in the water. You don't want to be fiddling with it when that whaleshark swims by! LOL

Once you take the photos, take care of the camera and housing.
Always keep it clean, o-rings lubed, and never ever ever open the housing on a beach or on the boat. A single grain of sand or hair can cause it not to seal and you will flood it.
Keep the camera housing out of the sunlight topside or it will fog up.
Review your photos at the end of every day and learn from what you did right and what you did wrong.

robin:smiley20: