PDA

View Full Version : Viton O-Ring kits

skdvr
06-15-2009, 08:56
Does anyone have a good source for Viton O-Ring kits. I am wanting to replace all my o-rings on a couple of manifolds and single valves after cleaning and would rather not buy all the sizes individually.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated....

Phil

navyhmc
06-15-2009, 11:25
While I always refer to ebay as the greatest example of Caveat Emptor, there are a few sources there: viton items on eBay.com (http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=viton&_sacat=16052&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmd=1&_odkw=vitron&_osacat=16052)

skdvr
06-15-2009, 12:54
While I always refer to ebay as the greatest example of Caveat Emptor, there are a few sources there: viton items on eBay.com (http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=viton&_sacat=16052&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmd=1&_odkw=vitron&_osacat=16052)

Cool, thanks... I do not know why it never crossed my mind to check there...

Thanks
Phil

Inka26
06-15-2009, 13:36
This place too:
http://www.reefscuba.com/O_Rings.htm

in_cavediver
06-15-2009, 22:15
To be honest - look at Mcmaster Carr. You might be suprised how cheap a bag of o-rings really is. You may be able to make lots of 'kits' for the cost of one on ebay.

Depending on the sizes you want, you are looking at $5-$10 per 25/50. That's a pretty good deal given the few sizes you really need.

Standard Buna o-ring are even cheaper at a couple bucks per hundred.

in_cavediver
06-15-2009, 22:21
For instance
McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/)

214 - 3/4 tank neck
Buna-N 9452K34 - 4.97/100
Viton 9464K35 - 8.18/25
EPDM 9557K483 - 4.69/50
PTFE 9559K35 - 8.80/10

112 - DIN reg seal
Buna-N 9452K22 - 2.16/100
Viton 9464K25 - 6.23/25
EPDM 9557K473 - 9.25/100
PTFE 9559K25 - 8.07/25

navyhmc
06-15-2009, 22:22
Do you have a link in_cavediver?

in_cavediver
06-15-2009, 22:28
Posted above and here:

skdvr
06-16-2009, 04:23
Posted above and here:

Thanks, I will check it out....

Phil

mm_dm
06-16-2009, 07:29
I got one of those 180 piece kits at the nearby Harbor Freight a couple of months back for about $15. I looked on their website and didn't see any listed, but the had them on the shelf locally.

skdvr
06-16-2009, 08:36
I got one of those 180 piece kits at the nearby Harbor Freight a couple of months back for about $15. I looked on their website and didn't see any listed, but the had them on the shelf locally.

Yeah I almost bought one of those when I was at Harbor Freight on Sun and I just did not know what sizes I need so I was not sure if the kit was good for me or not. I need to compile a list of sizes for my manifold and valves and check the harbor freight kit out again...

Phil

mm_dm
06-16-2009, 18:03
The kit contains several each of the following: 005, 006, 007, 008, 009, 010, 011, 012, 016, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 210, 211. Used some on regs, passed out a couple more to the moochers I dive with.

skdvr
06-18-2009, 10:48
The kit contains several each of the following: 005, 006, 007, 008, 009, 010, 011, 012, 016, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 210, 211. Used some on regs, passed out a couple more to the moochers I dive with.

Thanks for letting me know what is in there. It looks like it has all the right o-ring sizes except for the neck ring....

Thanks
Phil

Jack Hammer
06-18-2009, 11:02
I don't know how reliable the info was, I saw something on dive rite expresses site about there being a lot of 'knock-off' o-rings out there that claim to be viton or O2 compatible but are actually made of cheaper materials that are dyed to look like the pricier stuff. It also mentioned not all viton o-rings are o2 compatible.

I have no personal experience or any form of expertice on the subject, just regurgitating a possible situation to be aware of.

Jack

skdvr
06-18-2009, 11:38
I don't know how reliable the info was, I saw something on dive rite expresses site about there being a lot of 'knock-off' o-rings out there that claim to be viton or O2 compatible but are actually made of cheaper materials that are dyed to look like the pricier stuff. It also mentioned not all viton o-rings are o2 compatible.

I have no personal experience or any form of expertice on the subject, just regurgitating a possible situation to be aware of.

Jack

Yeah, I had read that too... Not sure how reliable it it is either, but I do not know what reason they would have to lie about it...

Phil

in_cavediver
06-18-2009, 11:47

Jack

This is a good point. Color means nothing. I tend to buy from industrial suppliers where material and size is all that matters.

On a side note - viton is not the only option. (and actually - viton brings issues as well - very toxic combustion products for instance). There are many materials used for o-rings and others such as EPDM and PTFE are also used in HP o2 service. PTFE aside for the hardness is one of the best materials to use. Even Buna-N has its place. (high wear and frequently replaced o-rings such as tank outlets and fill whips).

Just remember, the best o-rings/materials do little to help when you use poor technique. They will burn just the same.

mm_dm
06-18-2009, 18:15

Jack

I think it's a good point to bring up as well. The Harbor kit o-rings are constructed of Viton polymer according to the label (Viton with the trademark symbol wherever the name occurs). It doesn't say whether or not they are 100% Viton. Probably a decent o-ring, though I'll rule them out for O2 use.

Darthwader
06-26-2009, 09:28
To be honest - look at Mcmaster Carr. You might be suprised how cheap a bag of o-rings really is. You may be able to make lots of 'kits' for the cost of one on ebay.

Depending on the sizes you want, you are looking at $5-$10 per 25/50. That's a pretty good deal given the few sizes you really need.

What as the specs required for o-rings? I've seen O-ring kits for Hydraulic repair that were pretty tempting, but since they're not specifically rated for scuba I have steered clear.

DevilDiver
06-26-2009, 11:56
If you call ST they will put something together for you (possibly custom to your needs) and I am sure they will be competitive.

CompuDude
06-26-2009, 15:39

HF had a Viton o-ring set, or just standard material o-rings? I'll have to go take a look, since there's one a few blocks from my office...

skdvr
06-26-2009, 15:40

HF had a Viton o-ring set, or just standard material o-rings? I'll have to go take a look, since there's one a few blocks from my office...

The one by me has Viton o-rings....

Phil

in_cavediver
06-26-2009, 18:45

What as the specs required for o-rings? I've seen O-ring kits for Hydraulic repair that were pretty tempting, but since they're not specifically rated for scuba I have steered clear.

THe specs - well that depends on the intendend use. Usually you find its size given as an ANSI number (I think it ANSI off the top of my head). For example, a 214 o-ring. This number conveys information about the physical dimensions of the o-ring. Very important to make sure it fits. A second measure is the hardness. This basically is just what it sound, how soft/flexible is the material. You will normally see this as durometer rating IE a Shore A 70 durometer. You do need to be carefull as there are different scales and a Shore A 70 is quite different from a Shore D 70 durometer. This spec is also defined by the manufacturer. The last bit is material composition. Some materials have a wide range of durometers, some have a narrow range. They also vary in tolerance to solvents, o2 etc. These are material characteristics.

So what does this all mean? Simple. There is no such thing as o-rings for scuba. They are all o-rings made to industrial standards. Some get re-packaged for hydraulics, pneumatics, water, steam or whatever use but they all start out the same.

Still, for most people, a couple of bulk packs for a few bucks goes a long way. Think the tank yoke outlet o-ring or a DIN reg connection o-ring. Having 50 or 100 for $5 or so is nice if you are hard on o-rings. Generally speaking there, good ole cheap buna-n in a 70 durometer is good enough - even for o2 service. Buna-N is not used mostly due to breakdown of the o-ring. If you change them frequently, like you would on a tank or reg, its not a big deal.