PDA

View Full Version : Buying a dive/fishing boat thread

Chilkie
06-15-2009, 09:54
I mentioned on a different thread that I have been thinking of buying a small boat for diving and fishing around the Panama City/Destin area and it essentially hijacked the thread. There was lots of good input with comments on everything from boating classes to proper anchoring technique. I figured that I would start a thread here so that it would fit into a more proper forum.
Anyway, I'm looking to buy a small and relatively inexpensive (10K or so) used center console walkaround cuddy type of boat. It will get used 7-8 times a year with my father and friends mostly in the Panama City/Destin area. Any comments and/or opinions are welcome on anything from types of boats to proper boating techniques.
Maybe we can stay away from the BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand type comments.... :smiley2:

Darthwader
06-27-2009, 23:08
I mentioned on a different thread that I have been thinking of buying a small boat for diving and fishing around the Panama City/Destin area and it essentially hijacked the thread. There was lots of good input with comments on everything from boating classes to proper anchoring technique. I figured that I would start a thread here so that it would fit into a more proper forum.
Anyway, I'm looking to buy a small and relatively inexpensive (10K or so) used center console walkaround cuddy type of boat. It will get used 7-8 times a year with my father and friends mostly in the Panama City/Destin area. Any comments and/or opinions are welcome on anything from types of boats to proper boating techniques.
Maybe we can stay away from the BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand type comments.... :smiley2:
Wow Chilkie Can't believe no one's volunteered any advice. I've been checking the papers up here in Michigan for just the same style of boat. no luck though, they all range up into the $2000.00 category!
can't believe you lucky enough to be in the Destin area, I atended a school at Eglin for several months and fell in love with the place.
just a thought, but would a boot in the category you looking at be suitable for open ocean? I know that's a big concern for me up here in Lake Mi.
keep us posted on your progress, I'll have to live vicariously through you as I'm not getting a boat any decade soon!:smiley13:

FishFood
06-27-2009, 23:44
Check out this forum:

The Hull Truth - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.thehulltruth.com/)

Lot's of knowledgable folks over there.

Check the PCB Craigslist. Usually dozens of sub $10k center consoles for sale. The used boat dealers in the Thomas Drive & Grand Lagoon area also seem to have a good selection.

Also, if you're only going to use it 7-8 times per year, it may work out better to charter/rent when you come down. That's a long way to pull a boat (from Chattanooga I assume), and boat slips in the PC area aren't cheap.