PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuits for "real-size" women!

scubagirlj
06-15-2009, 11:28
After a long(and expensive) search for a wetsuit that can actually be put on in front of people(you know what I mean girls), I have found nirvana! Sea Dreams(sorry ST) makes a really nice Farmer Jane jumpsuit(with back zipper, no velcro shoulders) for a very reasonable price-and on top of that it has a titanium like lining that makes it slide right on and dry really fast!-For you girls out there that struggle with trying to get into suits that are made for supermodels or men, with no inbetween, this is an answer!:smiley20:

navyhmc
06-15-2009, 11:48
Sounds great! Do you have a link?

scubagirlj
06-15-2009, 12:30
seadreamswetsuits.com

Zenagirl
06-15-2009, 19:00
I've found both Pinnacle Elastaprene and Henderson Hyperstretch suits are easy to don and doff in public as well.

scubagirlj
06-15-2009, 19:45
but these are 1/3 the price and come in sizes for other than stick people

Divervon
06-15-2009, 23:05
thanks for the link I have been needing a new wetsuit and didnt want to pay and arm/leg for it

Diver Kat
06-15-2009, 23:52
I am seriously not a stick person - in fact quite the opposite, and have 2 Henderson Hyperstrech wetsuits ... they can be a bit pricey, but my 3 mil full is in excellent shape after 6 years and hundreds of dives. So I'd have to say that it was money well spent.

The seadreams look interesting, but appear to have only a 1 mil in a full, and a sleeveless jumpsuit and separate jacket each in a 2 mil. Maybe if they come out with a 3 mil, I'll be more interested.

Zenagirl
06-16-2009, 07:57
Guess I thought the title was about finding a wetsuit for "real sized" women....which Pinnacle and Henderson fit the bill. If you don't want to spend the money on the Elastaprene or Hyperstretch, both brands have other stretchy suits for a bit cheaper, particularly in the thinner ones.

Not seeing how the Seadreams is cheaper at $139 for a 1mm suit, whereas you can get a Pinnacle 1.5mm suit for $119 up to 3X in size, or a Henderson 1mm suit for $109, or even cheaper at $50 for a Neosport....

Though I agree with DiverKat, not interested in anything less than 3mm in thickness.

dbboyd
07-04-2009, 19:17
My shoulders are built like a line-backer, I'm 5'5" and weight (none of your biz, lol) and I'm basically built straight all the way down.

The Henderson Male, Large, Elastapreme (Sp?), 7 mm is what I recently purchased, a one piece and I LOVE It. I wore it the whole day, it was THAT comfy.

Splitlip
07-05-2009, 09:56
seadreamswetsuits.com

Thanks for the link. Knowing the distaste my daughter has for neoprene, the 2 mil jump suit and Diva jacket would serve her well for most of the year.

Recon
07-05-2009, 10:45
Just for a personal opinion, (not a gal here, but... I like comfort, and I am willing to pay for it), I have the Henderson Thermoprene, and it is WAY comfortable. Stay away from the neosport (normal ones that the new super strechy ones) I bought one when I was trying to be cheap with it... and well, I could not stand the feel of the neoprene on my skin, that is how bad it was.

~Recon

scubagirlj
07-05-2009, 10:54
whats nice about debbie's wetsuits are the torso length is not out of sync with the inseam, such is the problem with larger size w/s from mainstream manufacturers-have an excel and an aeris that are stretchy and feel good on my skin but the arms and legs are 3"too long-my husband wears the henfersons and loves them but he is a conventional size

PhD4JC
03-21-2010, 18:04
2mm is not thick enough for me, I enjoy my Bare 3mm and am thinking of getting the 5mm

I'm also concerned that the jacket may not stay on my hips

emtdiver
03-21-2010, 23:23
2mm is not thick enough for me, I enjoy my Bare 3mm and am thinking of getting the 5mm

I agree with PhD4JC on the Bare suits. I have a Neosport 7mm, Neosport 3mm, Neosport 2/0 shorty, & a Bare 3/2 Velocity Progressive Stretch. I've used ScubaPro & Akona & out of all of them the Bare is the best! :smiley20: I have to get the men's size cause I am to big for women sizes. The Bare length is a bit long in the arms & legs but I am able to get in & out with ease (no need for help like my 7mm) & in front of people w/out drawing attention to myself. Slips right & off! Only thing I wish was Bare made a short in the Velocity I'm 5'6" & it's for taller folks. I really recommend the Bare suits!!!!

CompuDude
03-22-2010, 00:49

Perhaps we could say "more conventionally-sized" people instead of stick people.

Insults work both ways. :smiley21:

Lulubelle
03-22-2010, 01:09

Perhaps we could say "more conventionally-sized" people instead of stick people.

Insults work both ways. :smiley21:

Hi CD:smiley31: Thing is, the average American woman is a size 14, so she IS conventionally sized. Henderson makes a 14, but I think that is the biggest they go. Interestingly, the Hyperstretch 14 was too big for me. My 4'9 buddy and I both take the 12, although if I borrow hers it is like a Capri.

Scuba world does need to be a bit more size friendly in all directions. My biggest problem is fins.

diving_newbie
03-28-2010, 19:51
Has anyone seen or heard of or purchased from TommyDSports (TommyDSports.com | Wetsuits, Scuba Dive Gear, Diving Fins & MORE! (http://www.tommydsports.com/))? They advertise "plus size" wetsuits and by looking at the measurements, it looks like they are pretty well in touch with reality.

vvitola
04-21-2010, 21:30
I have Henderson Hyperstrech 3mm and Bare Velocity Short, they come in size 18 are really strechy, but what I really love is a ScubaPro 0.5 profiler XL Mens, the women size is too small for me! Also you can try wearing a lycra suit under so it is easier to put on your wet suit!

Kryssa
06-16-2010, 13:47
I am a larger woman (size 18-20) and love my Pinnacle (by Zeagle) woman's XXL 5mm Breaker. I will probably be buying a 3mm suit from them for our upcoming Cancun trip. I have short legs so buying a men's suit is not a good fit for me. Highly reccomend the Pinnacle suits! (Although I've heard bad things about the Venture, my friend bought one trying to save money and says the neck is not comfortable)

brojack17
06-16-2010, 13:50
Got my wife the Henderson Hyperstrech. It fits well, just a little long in the legs.

Amy Baker
09-15-2010, 12:12
I am a new diver and really appreate all the info on wet suits. I have found it is really hard to find one that fits the chest area.. if you have any ideas please let me know.

Gonnagettanked
09-15-2010, 12:36
Hi Amy
I posted earlier and mentioned the BARE Velocity 3/2. I'm big chested and it has plenty of roam.
The suit cost me around $115. Great deal and looks good too. Gotta keep those "girls" in line:)

Splitlip
09-15-2010, 20:37
Not sure what you mean.

Do you have any pictures?

scubagirlj
09-15-2010, 21:03
Not sure what you mean.

Do you have any pictures?
ignore him- try the aeris line-i wear a bra size 1/2 way down the alphabet & they fit really well

Splitlip
09-15-2010, 21:23
Just trying to help.

Without pics, my hands are tied.

scubagirlj
09-15-2010, 21:37
as well they should be.....and your feet maybe also

Lulubelle
09-15-2010, 21:44
as well they should be.....and your feet maybe also

I'm thinking a blindfold and sock in his mouth too. Then he will just have to listen to our descriptions and give advice instead of trolling in the women's forums.

Splitlip
09-15-2010, 21:50
trolling! Moi?

Not at all. I've been at this for three decades. Wetsuits are wetsuits. Men's or women's.

scubagirlj
09-15-2010, 23:17
yeah, when they are on the hangers in the store!

TwistedSister209
09-16-2010, 06:48
You try stuffing 30 lbs of thigh into a 1 lb casing! Haven't seen too many guys with this problem.
Like Lulu, I have long legs, so that's another problem.

The girls I can squash or tie in a knot, tuck in a waistband (OK...I'm being sarcastic on the last 2)

Finding a wetsuit has been no easy task. I'm not even caring (much) how I appear.

Gonnagettanked
09-16-2010, 07:03

I'm with you on the 3 mmBare. I've got the Velocity Progressive and It fits my not so thin, not so tall body like a charm.

Gonnagettanked
09-16-2010, 07:08
Has anyone seen or heard of or purchased from TommyDSports (TommyDSports.com | Wetsuits, Scuba Dive Gear, Diving Fins & MORE! (http://www.tommydsports.com/))? They advertise "plus size" wetsuits and by looking at the measurements, it looks like they are pretty well in touch with reality.
Ordered one, made like crap don't waste your time!

TwistedSister209
09-16-2010, 07:13
Ordered one, made like crap don't waste your time!

Thanks for the review, Tanked.
Wishing you good weather for your trip.

Lulubelle
09-16-2010, 07:58
I'm with you on the 3 mmBare. I've got the Velocity Progressive and It fits my not so thin, not so tall body like a charm.

Tanked, is this a superstretchy fabric? How do the legs run and do they make a tall? I'm tall, and pretty much, not of average proportion anywhere. Everything is either way smaller or way bigger than average.

gNats
09-16-2010, 08:51
Personally, I find the website highly misleading to this thread. I mean, the models, err... Women, surely don't fit the description the OP used to describe the wonders and joys of these websuits. If the women wearing rash guards represent what REAL women look LIKE, well, call me kooky but I wish I looked like that.

Also, the tagline and title? Designer wetsuits? Sorry OP, but I'll stick to my 5mm Henderson anyday. I bought a model closeout on ST for a fraction of what these suits are going for.

Oh, and btw - those girls are still airbrushed. Even if you looked exactly like them, the suits would fit differently.

Okay, went back to the link. I am still peeved. They advertise PLUS sizes, but none of the women look to be a PLUS size. Not an ounce of extra flab? Seriously?

I hate that. If you are going to sell to larger women, than use larger sized models. Not beautiful amazon goddesses who you can say are a size 8 but they have not a single ounce of extra weight anywhere.

Like others, I find the pricing and their advertising to be a rip and false.

Straegen
09-16-2010, 09:25
My wife and both wear a custom wetsuit from Horizons. They are priced about the same as an off the rack and they will customize any way you like.

Horizon Wetsuits Scuba Diving Surfing Jet Skiing Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking (http://www.horizonwetsuits.com/)

As someone mentioned Tommy D stuff is junk. I have a couple of their items and none are made particularly well.

Gonnagettanked
09-16-2010, 09:43
Lulubelle the bare velocity hits me right at the top of my instep, but I'm 5'4". Although I do eat up some with my legs so it might be a little longer on someone taller also I wear a 14+ in the wetsuit which is a size down from my pant size and I have plenty of room to breathe.
As far as super stretchy it sretches just fine. I certainly don't have super strengh as a matter of fact I'm kind of a klutz and I can get in and out of it just fine. Not to knock ST, but you can find 3/2 and 5mm for around $115 online

DMWiz
09-16-2010, 09:56
Tanked, is this a superstretchy fabric? How do the legs run and do they make a tall? I'm tall, and pretty much, not of average proportion anywhere. Everything is either way smaller or way bigger than average.

I use the Bare Velocity 3mm and they do make and XLT which is actually Tall rather than MORE XL like some other brands because it's the only suit that has legs long enough to not make me feel like MJ on a late 80s music video.

They do make Tall for women, but not in all sizes... Bare Size Chart (http://www.baresports.com/en-US/Dive/Support/Dealer/Sizing-Charts)

Lulubelle
09-16-2010, 10:10
Personally, I find the website highly misleading to this thread. I mean, the models, err... Women, surely don't fit the description the OP used to describe the wonders and joys of these websuits. If the women wearing rash guards represent what REAL women look LIKE, well, call me kooky but I wish I looked like that.

Also, the tagline and title? Designer wetsuits? Sorry OP, but I'll stick to my 5mm Henderson anyday. I bought a model closeout on ST for a fraction of what these suits are going for.

Oh, and btw - those girls are still airbrushed. Even if you looked exactly like them, the suits would fit differently.

Okay, went back to the link. I am still peeved. They advertise PLUS sizes, but none of the women look to be a PLUS size. Not an ounce of extra flab? Seriously?

I hate that. If you are going to sell to larger women, than use larger sized models. Not beautiful amazon goddesses who you can say are a size 8 but they have not a single ounce of extra weight anywhere.

Like others, I find the pricing and their advertising to be a rip and false.

Lovely to have a tiny one standing up for us. :smiley20: But some of us ARE beautiful Amazonian Goddesses. I went as Xena Warrior Princess one Halloween. I stood about 6'2" in my get up. Pretty Amazonian. I don't need a plus size, I just need one built for women, not just adapted from a man's fit.

Lulubelle
09-16-2010, 10:11
My wife and both wear a custom wetsuit from Horizons. They are priced about the same as an off the rack and they will customize any way you like.

Horizon Wetsuits Scuba Diving Surfing Jet Skiing Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking (http://www.horizonwetsuits.com/)

As someone mentioned Tommy D stuff is junk. I have a couple of their items and none are made particularly well.

This is a new one for me, thanks! I may have my Carolina Blue wetsuit afterall! With long enough legs!

Lulubelle
09-16-2010, 10:14
I use the Bare Velocity 3mm and they do make and XLT which is actually Tall rather than MORE XL like some other brands because it's the only suit that has legs long enough to not make me feel like MJ on a late 80s music video.

They do make Tall for women, but not in all sizes... Bare Size Chart (http://www.baresports.com/en-US/Dive/Support/Dealer/Sizing-Charts)

I wish someone around here carried them so that I could try them on for a benchmark. Sounds like their cut would work well for the gams. I wear a 12T in the Henderson Hyperstretch...so it might work. But I'm pretty sure that it would need to be a similar stretch, as there are certain parts of me which are NOT really a 12. But when I try to size up for that, the rest of the suit doesn't fit. Hard to be a girl.

DMWiz
09-16-2010, 10:27
The 3mm is pretty stretchy, but not as much as the hyperstretch IMO. Who knows maybe you can tie up those parts that don't fit some other way.

I believe LP has them and they have their "pressure free fit" guarantee. Maybe ST will do the same for you. Whatever you decide video of the fitting would be great :)

TJDiver
09-16-2010, 10:50
The 3mm is pretty stretchy, but not as much as the hyperstretch IMO. Who knows maybe you can tie up those parts that don't fit some other way.

I believe LP has them and they have their "pressure free fit" guarantee. Maybe ST will do the same for you. Whatever you decide video of the fitting would be great :)

Afraid I can't be of much help in which wetsuits fit better for women, but if you're looking for a less expensive alternative to the hyperstretch, might want to check out the NeoSport X-Span line. NeoSport is a division of Henderson, and the X-Span is a nice fitting/feeling suit at a fraction of the cost. I have a 5mm X-Span full jumpsuit, and I love it!

Gonnagettanked
09-16-2010, 12:06
Lp does has the Bare and you can return it, I think it's definately worth the time and trouble!

Lulubelle
09-16-2010, 13:20

Tie what up? I'm confused. I'm afraid only a surgeon's knife will fix that problem. And why do you need a video when you are going to see the wetsuit dance live and in person this December?

Afraid I can't be of much help in which wetsuits fit better for women, but if you're looking for a less expensive alternative to the hyperstretch, might want to check out the NeoSport X-Span line. NeoSport is a division of Henderson, and the X-Span is a nice fitting/feeling suit at a fraction of the cost. I have a 5mm X-Span full jumpsuit, and I love it!

Are the legs longish? DM Wiz's statement that the tall Bare was long enough for him got my attention. He is a tall fellow. Handsome too.

Lp does has the Bare and you can return it, I think it's definately worth the time and trouble!

Always a huge PITA to fit anything. Right now, I have a newish Hyperstretch which is fine for the moment. But I want to get a 5mm before spring. I'll probably give the Bare a try if I can deal with the shipping costs back and forth.

DMWiz
09-16-2010, 13:45
Tie what up? I'm confused. I'm afraid only a surgeon's knife will fix that problem. And why do you need a video when you are going to see the wetsuit dance live and in person this December?

Extortion comes to mind... don't know why!

Are the legs longish? DM Wiz's statement that the tall Bare was long enough for him got my attention. He is a tall fellow. Handsome too.

Should I mail you the payment in cash or a check will do!

TJDiver
09-16-2010, 14:09

That's a tough one to answer...there's "longish" in the legs...in the torso...etc...would hate to mislead you. Here's a link for NeoSport wetsuits...X-Span is across the top row...maybe you could shoot them an email. Neo Sport USA - Category (http://www.neosportusa.com/index.php?page=category&sport=dive&catID=1)

scubagirlj
09-16-2010, 14:44
. Whatever you decide video of the fitting would be great :)[/QUOTE]
boy wiz, just when i thought you were an OK guy....

DMWiz
09-16-2010, 15:07
Ouch, another blemished in the not so shining armor. I'm sorry my lady, but I do have some flaws ;)

scubagirlj
09-16-2010, 15:25
allowed, you are a man after all(LOL)

Lulubelle
09-16-2010, 17:20
Extortion comes to mind... don't know why!

Should I mail you the payment in cash or a check will do!

Well who will be extorting whom?

Cash is king.

PurpleSeahorse
09-26-2010, 10:46
I just want to say thank you to Scubagirlj for this post I was begining to think I was the only big girl out there that was trying to get along in a world of mens equipment.