PDA

View Full Version : Noise Makers

Lethal_OZ
08-25-2007, 11:21
Im looking at buying a noise maker... do any work well both above and below water? I read something about some types making noises that distrub and repell aquatic life such as turtles. Not sure that i'd like that. Is that true?

BigScubaCat
08-26-2007, 16:07
Most of those gadgets don't work unless you're right on top of the other diver. Some devices work off your inflator hose and may be loud enough to hear. IME the best is a metal knife butt struck on a metal tank, or better yet always maintain visual and develop a habit of a routine eye-scan for your partner.

Jaymeany
08-26-2007, 16:11
just make sure that there in nothing you can cut when signaling with your knife. a long shot but it could happen if you got excited.

scubasamurai
08-26-2007, 19:23
i actually use a metal keychain carabiner. makes a loud noise with hitting the tank and it is small enought to clip or hide till you need it. cheap and simple.
also with the underwater inflator noise makers, just had to locate because the sound is so difuss at a distance, in which case your screwed

terrillja
08-26-2007, 23:09
I use an Aquatec ScubAlert, they sell the newer version at ST, it works well above and below the water, both my dive buddy and I use ours frequently.

PlatypusMan
08-26-2007, 23:11
I use a shaker stick that easily slips into a BC pocket.

Works for me.

greyzen
08-26-2007, 23:49
shaker stick?

Link please :D

terrillja
08-26-2007, 23:58
shaker stick?

Link please :D

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TridentShaker

greyzen
08-27-2007, 00:05
Sweet

I assume it makes the same noise (or similar) to the "Waa-waa" stick thingie's you can buy?

terrillja
08-27-2007, 00:11
Sweet

I assume it makes the same noise (or similar) to the "Waa-waa" stick thingie's you can buy?

No clue, the air ones are more versatile, so I have that.

Krakenn
08-27-2007, 06:16
Yep, I use an accu-stik it is great on dives to get attention of others.

Kraks

Zenagirl
08-27-2007, 07:14
I have an H2Yo rattle. It's small and makes a nice clinking noise, but I wouldn't ever recommend that anyone uses them to excess. For on the surface I have a DiveAlert, but that's only for emergencies.

We had a newly certified diver on our liveaboard this summer who had one of those ball tank bangers. On one of his first post-certification dives, he kept banging it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over......you get the idea. Fortunately the DM who had been instructing him for OW was in the water and heard it, so he took the guy aside and the noise (thankfully) stopped.

Phestr
08-27-2007, 07:54
I use the tank banger, but that's because there is a a very good instructor (so I'm told) that hands out the shaker sticks to all his students. So now there are thousands (seems like) of people using these shakers all over the coast. I personallly find them hard to locate, so I use the banger and my primary buddy uses his knife. Amazingly enough, it's unique in our area. I do like the carabiner idea, though.

PlatypusMan
08-27-2007, 08:58
Sweet

Nope---more like a rattlesnake sound that carries well underwater. I find it great for attracting attention.

greyzen
08-27-2007, 09:39
Nope---more like a rattlesnake sound that carries well underwater. I find it great for attracting attention.

Sweet. I want to get something for me and my wife that is somewhat 'special' in the sound it makes.

Metal to Metal clicks can be misinterpreted, she works around machines and I don't want her auto-tuning me out. (unlike when she's watching tv :smilie39:)

I'm hard of hearing, so I'm afraid the higher range might be lost on me

ScaredSilly
08-27-2007, 13:03
The elcheapo Shaker Stick -

2 - 1/2" PVC end caps - $0.15
1 - 1/2" x 6" long PVC pipe - $0.30 (or free if you find a sprinkler system going in).
3 - rocks from the parking lot - free
1 - Snorkle Keeper - $0.50 (or free if you found Waldo last week).

Using PVC glue attach one end, place rocks inside, glue other end. Attatch to BCD with snorkel keeper.

terrillja
08-27-2007, 13:09

1 - 1/2" x 6" long PVC - $0.30
1 - Snorkle Keeper - $0.50

Using PVC glue attach one end, place rocks inside, glue other end. Attatch to BCD with snorkel keeper.

Gorilla glue also attaches pvc if you have some lying around

greyzen
08-27-2007, 13:18

1 - 1/2" x 6" long PVC pipe - $0.30 (or free if you find a sprinkler system going in).

Looks like I'm heading over to Home Depot :D

Capt Hook
08-27-2007, 13:31
You know, I can't hear any of these "noise makers" underwater. The only one that sort of works (have to be close) is the Scubaduck.

'Course I can't hear worth crap anyway.

3rdEye
08-27-2007, 16:35
i actually use a metal keychain carabiner. makes a loud noise with hitting the tank and it is small enought to clip or hide till you need it. cheap and simple.
also with the underwater inflator noise makers, just had to locate because the sound is so difuss at a distance, in which case your screwed

i kind of like this idea....better than unsheathing a knife

terrillja
08-27-2007, 16:40

i kind of like this idea....better than unsheathing a knife

And then swinging it around wildly, then putting it back away without stabbing yourself.

Doug B
08-27-2007, 22:12

Looks like I'm heading over to Home Depot :D

yeah... but this type of shaker stick floats. I made one like this... didn't work so well. I bought a "commericial" one, like it much better. And, it's smaller, and fits perfectly in the open bc pocket I have.. so it's easy in-easy out, with a lanyard so I dont' drop it.

divechaplain-sara
08-27-2007, 23:13
I have both a shaker stick and a tank banger. I like the shaker stick--it is easier to use and I don't have a problem hearing it. However, my hearing must be better than most of my dive buddies because I have to use the tank banger to get their attention.

Of note, my shaker stick was my first Scuba Toys purchase.

chewyjr15
08-28-2007, 00:55
when i do dive i will jsut sue the butt of my knife

ScubaJenn81
08-28-2007, 05:27
I have a horn on my BCD, it sounds like a dying duck though. Only used it once and it was during a night dive. It was hard to tell if my buddy heard it though.

Lethal_OZ
08-28-2007, 09:16
A large part of my thinking about considering a noise maker was more for above water purposes. As it could be useful to help easily signal the boat when dift diving, maybe store in bcd and only use if necessary. If it also works underwater that would be cool but are dual above and below water models as effective?

Charlotte Smith
08-28-2007, 09:32
The scubalert works for me and it sounds like a duck!

Travelnsj
08-28-2007, 16:54
If you use a shaker use them sparingly...I was on a trip with a group once and they had divers of all levels mixed in with the group....a couple of people (new divers) would rattle their stick at every fish that went by.

greyzen
08-28-2007, 17:13
travel, I hear that...

I'm more looking for something yell at my buddy (wife) underwater if she wanders too far... or if I want her to look over at me.

Perrydogm
08-28-2007, 20:15
i use tank banger and it works if my wife will listen heheheh

plot
08-28-2007, 21:15
Last time I was under I heard a large amount of quacking... was really annoying... :smiley26::smiley35: but it got the job done.

p.s. has anyone noticed this smiley? :boobies:

Xspect
08-29-2007, 21:23
I use both a shaker stick and use my knife to bang on my tank

I use the stick so that the wife knows Its me

Knife for all other communications. But I dont always dive with my knife

crpntr133
09-17-2007, 23:13
I have an H2Yo rattle. It's small and makes a nice clinking noise, but I wouldn't ever recommend that anyone uses them to excess. For on the surface I have a DiveAlert, but that's only for emergencies.

We had a newly certified diver on our liveaboard this summer who had one of those ball tank bangers. On one of his first post-certification dives, he kept banging it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over......you get the idea. Fortunately the DM who had been instructing him for OW was in the water and heard it, so he took the guy aside and the noise (thankfully) stopped.

This is the first noise maker that I have actually been able to hear underwater. A buddy of mine used one last month and now I think I might need one. Now to find someplace that has them.
Otehr than a sub duck or such, most rattles don't make much noise.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 10:40
I just bang a metal clip on the tank. Cheap and works fine.

CompuDude
09-18-2007, 16:35
You know, I can't hear any of these "noise makers" underwater. The only one that sort of works (have to be close) is the Scubaduck.

'Course I can't hear worth crap anyway.

I use a tank banger. Works fine, but so do those H2Yo-type shakers.

I have a hard time hearing anything else through 7mm of neoprene.

Subducks works well also. BUT for god's sake, PLEASE do not use it all time! IMO, the only one in a group that has a justification for using something that intrusive to other divers is a DM leading the group.

Kidder
09-18-2007, 21:57
I have tried a water maraca. It didn't work that well. Another diver parting with his money.

DevilDiver
09-18-2007, 22:18
I am not sure if this is what your looking for but check it out... Pretty cool!
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/signal/pics/DiveAlertPlus.jpgDive Alert Plus

The wait is over! Now shipping the new Dive Alert Plus that works under and above the water!

It has been 3 years since Dave With Ideations told us he was working the Dive Alert Plus that combines the Standard Dive Alert for above water... one push of a button emits a loud piercing blast that can get you noticed from very long distances and the Sub Duck a great little underwater signaling device that make a loud racket that can be heard by your dive buddy even if wearing a hood. Making a Quaking Duck type sound. The Dive Alert Plus is easily switched back and forth by simply turning the dial from Air to H2o.

The Dive Alert Plus fits all standard power inflators (not air integrated Octo inflators).

http://www.scubatoys.com/SmileyStForum.jpg (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3477)

Dive Alert Plus - Accessories: Signaling

Price: $79.95

Lethal_OZ
09-18-2007, 23:19
That was exactly was i was talking about when i started this thread. The thread seemed to go more down the track of rattles and other basic noise makers but an air powered both above and bellow water noise maker was what i was interested in. Gladly now it seems that one exists exactly for that purpose. Nice work, will have to give it a go.

Vercingetorix
09-19-2007, 11:24
My dive buddy, TxHockeyGuy, brought a Dive Alert Plus to CSSP past weekend. (yeah...he's gotta be FIRST ON THE BLOCK:smiley36:)

He hit the underwater horn just to see how it sounded. I was about 10 feet away. It was loud, but not blaring. Next time out, we'll try a distance check.

TxHockeyGuy
09-19-2007, 11:48
My dive buddy, TxHockeyGuy, brought a Dive Alert Plus to CSSP past weekend. (yeah...he's gotta be FIRST ON THE BLOCK:smiley36:)

He hit the underwater horn just to see how it sounded. I was about 10 feet away. It was loud, but not blaring. Next time out, we'll try a distance check.

I was happy with it, I'm sure it would be heard at 100 ft away underwater. At any reasonable distance between buddies I'm sure it would be very noticeable even with a hood on. The above water air horn is just disgustingly loud, I do not recommend testing it often. It does it's job well.

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 12:20
The rattles and shakers work pretty well if you stick fairly close to your buddy. Knocking something metalic against your tank though is louder, cheaper and more effective in my opinion.

TxHockeyGuy
09-19-2007, 12:30
The rattles and shakers work pretty well if you stick fairly close to your buddy. Knocking something metalic against your tank though is louder, cheaper and more effective in my opinion.

I used to use my knife to bang against my tank, it worked if your buddy was close and paying attention. The dive alert plus works if your buddy is not so close and is completely oblivious.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 20:51
I'm new as a diver but researching about this forum ended me up with this one. I have one for my dog and tried it under water and oh boy you can hear it loud within 20ft. A compact and small piece that can be hook or put in pocket, only 3 inches long and 1 inch thick. http://www.clickertraining.com/store/?item=getstarclict

CompuDude
09-19-2007, 21:48
I'm new as a diver but researching about this forum ended me up with this one. I have one for my dog and tried it under water and oh boy you can hear it loud within 20ft. A compact and small piece that can be hook or put in pocket, only 3 inches long and 1 inch thick. http://www.clickertraining.com/store/?item=getstarclict

Yeah. Petco has them, too, for $2.

http://www.petco.com/product/9698/PETCO-Dog-Training-Clicker.aspx

I've used them in pools, and while it's true you can hear them underwater at 20', it's not loud enough to be heard over the bubbling of exhaling... and worse, in open water wearing a thick hood, it's practically inaudible.

In the right conditions, they work well, though.

boarder06
09-20-2007, 18:27
If you use a shaker use them sparingly...I was on a trip with a group once and they had divers of all levels mixed in with the group....a couple of people (new divers) would rattle their stick at every fish that went by.

I have to agree. I have a memorable dive with a bunch of Italians at the Elphinstone reef and every single one of them had a tank banger and used it all the time until all the fish was gone. It is for emergencies only.