PDA

View Full Version : I want some pool time

mrmccoy
06-16-2009, 15:55
I call my LDS and wanted to get some more pool time before I go back to finish my last OW dive. The young woman I talked to didn't seem to understand what I was asking. She thought I wanted to finish my cert. at the dive shop or something weird. All I want to do is get some more time on scuba so I can pratice equalizing my ears but I'm not certified yet. any sugestions on what to tell them?

bennerman
06-16-2009, 16:00
Go in person and talk to the manager/your instructor... they will probably understand it alot better. Good luck with your cert, btw :)

navyhmc
06-16-2009, 16:08
I call my LDS and wanted to get some more pool time before I go back to finish my last OW dive. The young woman I talked to didn't seem to understand what I was asking. She thought I wanted to finish my cert. at the dive shop or something weird. All I want to do is get some more time on scuba so I can pratice equalizing my ears but I'm not certified yet. any sugestions on what to tell them?

How about "I am wanting to get a little more pool practice time to work on things like equalization before I do my openwater check out."? Or "What do I need to do to be able to use the pool to practice?"

If that doesn't work: "Can I talk to the boss?" :smiley20:

mrmccoy
06-16-2009, 17:53
i may ride over there friday and talk to them but it really isn't my LDS as it is an hour away. I have my log book with 3 logged dives and the instructor signed off on them. she told me "you can't get on Scuba unless you are certified" i just hate to ride over there for nothing......might try to e-mail the instructor directly and skip the middle person.

Splitlip
06-16-2009, 18:03
I suspect they won't let you use the pool for scuba w/o an instructor.

Thus the confusion.

mrmccoy
06-16-2009, 18:26
I know I can't just jump in w/o an instructor. I want to find out when i can be with an instructor to get some pool time. i guess that may have confused the person i spoke with.

chilly willy
06-16-2009, 18:37
I know I can't just jump in w/o an instructor. I want to find out when i can be with an instructor to get some pool time. i guess that may have confused the person i spoke with.
Assuming this is the place where your getting your lessons, maybe you should get in touch with your instructor and make arrangements to meet with you there.

navyhmc
06-16-2009, 19:00
Another option is to see if you can join in with a class that is doing poll time in the near future and explain to the instructor your needs.

mrmccoy
06-16-2009, 19:15
This is not the place i'm taking the class. I took the class in Ft. walton but wasn't able to finish my last dive due to my ears. I have it setup to finish my last dive in two weeks with the same place in ft. walton. Less than 20 feet was what gave me problems and this place has a 16ft. pool. I just want to give my ears a little workout between now and my last check out dive.

Splitlip
06-16-2009, 19:36
Well, we were all confused, so I can understand why "your" LDS, but "not your LDS" was confused.

Since there is some reason you cannot do this with your own instructor from "your LDS" , I guess you you want to hire an instructor at "not your LDS" for a "tune up" in the pool. They might do that.

Since you are not certified, they might not.

You will pay of course for individual instruction.

mrmccoy
06-16-2009, 20:07
I think i will end the confusion and just do the "try scuba" I might just have to sit through a little class. I'm just a confusing person i guess!?!

mrmccoy
06-20-2009, 19:25
Well I got the pool time I wanted today! I called up there agian and talked to someone different but they understood what I was trying to do. I was able to get to the bottom on the 1st try! After about 4 trips to the bottom (16ft.) I figured my ears in good working order.

navyhmc
06-20-2009, 20:00
Good to go McCoy!

Glad it worked out and you got a handle on things. All it takes is talking to the right person.

bennerman
06-20-2009, 20:19
Well I got the pool time I wanted today! I called up there agian and talked to someone different but they understood what I was trying to do. I was able to get to the bottom on the 1st try! After about 4 trips to the bottom (16ft.) I figured my ears in good working order.

:smiley20: Ah, das wundervoll. Glad to hear everything worked and that we were able to help :)

mrmccoy
06-21-2009, 02:25
It was actully the owner I spoke to thanks for the advise!

bennerman
06-21-2009, 06:08
Hope you get certified real soon :)

plot
06-21-2009, 17:07
my LDS offers the option to join other classes during their pool time, that way an instructor and a divecon is on duty keeping track of everyone in the pool.

a few days before your go on a dive, start clearing your ears to loosen up your ear drums... always works for me.

tnrescuediver
08-23-2009, 21:47
tell ur instructer at the dive shop and he will know what u want

navyhmc
08-23-2009, 23:24

?????? Huh!???

mrmccoy
08-24-2009, 20:43
:smiley36:

?????? Huh!???

fundiver64
02-04-2010, 16:16
Another option is to see if you can join in with a class that is doing poll time in the near future and explain to the instructor your needs.

That's exactly what I am doing this week just to build my comfort level in the water, especially with my maiger "0" dives:smiley5::smiley5:

mm2002
03-10-2010, 20:28
I don't know what to type except a :smiley36:
I'm gonna go get some sleep now. You guys rock!