PDA

View Full Version : Noisey Proton second stage

Lethal_OZ
08-25-2007, 12:44
Mares Proton second stage often makes a vibrating noise which it has done from new. I've had it for a number of years now although often use my old reg because of the anoying noise, had it serviced a few times and and it still makes the noise. The reg still works fine but the noise is extremely anoying after a short while. I read somewhere that if i reverse the value or something this may stop the noise. I asume this is something thats best do be done by someone who's trained. From what I gather it's still only a maybe solution so if it doesn't work is guess the proton will need to be shelved and replaced. Anyone else had this problem, been able to solve it?

Doug B
08-31-2007, 23:24
Mares Proton second stage often makes a vibrating noise which it has done from new. I've had it for a number of years now although often use my old reg because of the anoying noise, had it serviced a few times and and it still makes the noise. The reg still works fine but the noise is extremely anoying after a short while. I read somewhere that if i reverse the value or something this may stop the noise. I asume this is something thats best do be done by someone who's trained. From what I gather it's still only a maybe solution so if it doesn't work is guess the proton will need to be shelved and replaced. Anyone else had this problem, been able to solve it?

If it's a "harmonica" type sound... mine had that also. But I think mine was in the first stage, as the noise was there when breathing thru both my primary second stage and octo.

I sent it in to Mares. They had it for about a week, and sent it back. Got it back, it made the harmonica noise once more... and now it's gone.

Very annoying, but breathes very well. Now that the noise is gone... I'm happy.

CrzyJay456
09-01-2007, 16:47
i've heard these regs making that noise, and it gets annoying after a bit.

Lethal_OZ
09-01-2007, 22:35
If it's a "harmonica" type sound... mine had that also. But I think mine was in the first stage, as the noise was there when breathing thru both my primary second stage and octo.

I sent it in to Mares. They had it for about a week, and sent it back. Got it back, it made the harmonica noise once more... and now it's gone.

Very annoying, but breathes very well. Now that the noise is gone... I'm happy.

It's defintalty the 2nd stage as when ever i dive with this reg i end up using the Octo as it doesn't make the same anoying noise as the primary. But in doing that i get so sick of everyone on the boat trying to tell me im using the wrong 2nd stage.

Im generally a fan of Mares gear but this reg purchase has been a big disappointment, although not comletely Mares fault. I brought it from Joe Diver America (I advise everyone never buy from them) a few years ago and they subsitutued the Mares MC 1 consol with the Dacor model without notifying me before they shipped it to me in Australia. When I contacted them (email contact only) they were very short and actually blamed Mares, saying Mares said to do it, but still they should have notified me. Was told I could return it at my cost and wait for a few months and then pay the postage back to Australia again, so obviously i kept it. As far as I know it's basically the same computer but not sure if it's exactly the same in every way. Don't think I've ever used a computer so painfull to operate, the buttons are extremely hard to press and so don't always respond and navigation of the computer is far from the best. So i ended up using my old old US divers computer which is so much nicer to use and recently brought an wrist mount Aeris XR2 from Scuba toys which is also a joy to use.

awap
09-02-2007, 10:38
Could you describe a better description of when the noise occurs? That is, under what conditions do you experience the noise? And under those conditions, does it occur always or occasionally.

Lethal_OZ
09-02-2007, 11:44
Could you describe a better description of when the noise occurs? That is, under what conditions do you experience the noise? And under those conditions, does it occur always or occasionally.

It will happen for some period on every dive, somtimes really bad and sometimes just mildly. The harder you breathe the louder it is. To be honest I got so sick of the noise I have only dived with this reg a few times over the last year or 2. I've been using my old reg and my buddy has been using this reg, they usualy use the octo as they get sick of the noise too. Well buddy now has his own gear and im wanting to up grade from the old reg (15+yrs old) and decided should see if the proton can be fixed before cashing up for something new

awap
09-02-2007, 12:11
Harlow talks about this type of problem in his book "SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair". He refers to it as a moan or shudder. He says "airflow through the 2nd stage causes to seat to vibrate open and shut." If you have ever looked at WOB graphs, you can see that they are not a smooth curve but show sharp rises and falls, especially at the beginning of a breathin cycle. He suggests the lever may be a little loose. He also indicates thet the problem usually occurs only on the surface and disappears when submerged. You might try changing the spring tension a bit by adjusting the demand valve locknut 1/2 to 1 turn, in or out, and them readjusting the orifice. It may not take much change to brake the cycle that produces such noises, but it would a rtrial and error process.

somewhereinla
09-02-2007, 12:18
It's very easy to fix. Go to any Mares approved LDS, and they'll fix it in 5mn. Have anyone with the problem called Mares? They have a good customer service.

Lethal_OZ
09-04-2007, 10:13
It's very easy to fix. Go to any Mares approved LDS, and they'll fix it in 5mn. Have anyone with the problem called Mares? They have a good customer service.

I have had it serviced at a mares approved store but that did not resolve the problem. From memory when I got it serviced the tech told me he'd try and resolve the noise issue but could not promise it would work. So I was hoping for some real practical advice from someone who's had the same problem and been able to resolve it. Then I can try having it serviced again advising the tech of the probable solution that has worked stopping the noise for others. I have not called Mares as im in Australia not the States and the reg is now out of warranty as I never acted as I should of when the reg made the noise from brand new.

Thanks for the advice awap, although the noise definatly does not disappear when submerged. Does that mean your possible solution might not apply??

Im a bit of a novice when it comes to tech issues, but i've been scouring the web for possible solutions and this is the best advice i've found;

"I usually have success with the spring reversal, but sometimes need to replace the spring itself. Much of it is caused by the manner in which the spring vibrates as it interfaces with the poppet housing and second stage. Gas flowing over the spring at different levels can also cause the buzzing."

Can someone with more tech knowledge advise if this sounds like a probable solution??

awap
09-04-2007, 11:55
[

Thanks for the advice awap, although the noise definatly does not disappear when submerged. Does that mean your possible solution might not apply??

Im a bit of a novice when it comes to tech issues, but i've been scouring the web for possible solutions and this is the best advice i've found;

"I usually have success with the spring reversal, but sometimes need to replace the spring itself. Much of it is caused by the manner in which the spring vibrates as it interfaces with the poppet housing and second stage. Gas flowing over the spring at different levels can also cause the buzzing."

Can someone with more tech knowledge advise if this sounds like a probable solution??

I'm not absolutely sure but the nature of the problem seems to be the same. UW, you have a denser medium dampening the diaphram. But if the lever is too loose, that may not have much effect.

Another option is to take your problem over to scubaboard.com and post it in the mares section. The mares rep is quite active there and seems to do a good job responding to regulator problems.