PDA

View Full Version : Quattro vs Volo Power

Lethal_OZ
08-25-2007, 11:53
Im still using my std Quattro's but have been looking at the Volo fins for a long time. Is there a big difference between these fins? Are the Volo's really twice as good as the price would indicate?

And where do the Mares Black Passion Quattro Excel Fins fit into things?

Souvy
08-25-2007, 19:27
I bought a pair of the Volos and they fell apart after 3 dives (the rubber started peeling away from the plastic at the fin tips). I have about 40 dives on a pair of Tusa Xpert Zooms and they look pretty new by comparison.

That being said, I did love how the Volo performed and they are als very light which is great for travel. Mares offered to replace my fins (after about a month), so I opted for the refund. For that amount of money, the fins should last in my opinion and I shouldn't have to be without them for over a month during the diving season. It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend the Volos based on my experience.

meesier42
08-25-2007, 19:39
my vote would go to the long time favorite quattros'

but I dumped them for force fins about 10 years ago and will never go back

willardj
08-26-2007, 15:43
The 2 best fin's Quattro and Jet's.

vel525
08-27-2007, 09:51
i don't have any personal experience with quattros, but my understanding was that the quattros are a relatively stiff fin. i dove the volo powers for about a year and my only complaint was that when i kicked hard the fins would just give out. i had no quality complaints other than the buckles, which i replaced with spring straps. my wife currently uses my volos and she loves them. i got myself some jets instead.

dludwig
08-29-2007, 17:14
I'll keep my Quatro's as long as the last. I want to try Volos but also thinking about split fins when I need new ones

No Misses
08-29-2007, 17:24
I got suckered in by all the hype and bought a pair of Volo's. As stated earlier, whenever I put it in high gear (chasing fish or heading into current) there was nothing there. Maybe it is my finning style. I just can't get the power out of the volo's. I still use my old Mares Avanti Tre. These are similar to the quatro except they are a little narrower and have 3 channels instead of 4. I would stick with the quatro's. IMHO

Xspect
08-29-2007, 20:56
Wow.

I have a pair of volo powers they are great against currents

They are made for big strong kick not quick kicks

frankc420
08-29-2007, 21:01
Volos were my first pair of fins, hated them. They are great in a pool or quarry. Ocean, not so much! If you hit a current they break in half pretty much... no propulsion at all.

I currently own a pair of OMS slipstreams, I like them, but I do like to flutter kick sometimes and they aren't designed for flutter kicking, IMO.

So, I'm looking at a few brands of split fins. Apolo Bio XT are what I'm eyeing mostly! :)

Scoobidoo
08-30-2007, 08:43
I don't have the strongest calf / legs in the world and my Volo Powers have been serving me well. I don't have experience with other fins, but the Volos have proven to be powerful in currents. It does take some time to get use to the buckle, I'll be turning them into spring straps soon.

Buoyant1
08-30-2007, 11:22
My normal dive buddy just changed from Plana Avanti's to Quattros and he said the difference is HUGE! I also dive with a guy that hs Volo's and he said ti tok a while to get used to them....I've been eyeing up a set of Quattro's myself! (My Avanti's have seen better days!)

Lethal_OZ
09-01-2007, 21:44
ok, so it seems that the Volo's are a bit hit and miss... some people like them and some people really don't but generally most people like the std Quattros performance.

Anyone been able to compare the std Quattro's to the Mares Quattro Excel fins?? How do they rate?? They are about twice as expensive as the standard quattros are they worth it??

frankc420
09-01-2007, 22:25
ok, so it seems that the Volo's are a bit hit and miss... some people like them and some people really don't but generally most people like the std Quattros performance.

Anyone been able to compare the std Quattro's to the Mares Quattro Excel fins?? How do they rate?? They are about twice as expensive as the standard quattros are they worth it??

It might be a good idea to give Scubatoys a call or PM Joe or Larry. XS scuba tends to make nice knockoffs of the name brand fins and sometimes, from what I've heard, they sometimes even perform better. Just my .02