PDA

View Full Version : Issues for Women Divers

Silvia
08-25-2007, 12:27
Hello female scuba divers!

I am trying to do some research on issues that would affect women divers the most for a possible future website.

I would appreciate your feedback on what would be the most useful features for the site to include - so far I'm thinking the following:

1- hints and tips for women divers (I already saw some useful information on this forum)
2- a facility to find women buddies by geographical area
3- interviews with experienced women divers
4- description of diving sites recommended by women divers

Also, if you'd like to be interviewed, please send me an email and we can arrange a phone interview (or via email if you prefer). Your contribution can be anonymous or I can publish your contact info (e.g. if you own a diving business and would like to get some publicity).

Any feedback, ideas, and contributions will be greatly appreciated :smiley20:

aquababe66
08-25-2007, 12:42
Very cool idea! I look forward to seeing a little more estrogen added to this sport.:smiley32:

Zenagirl
08-25-2007, 13:17
I'd love to see a gear review area where lady divers could post their personal reviews of different types of gear. I think it would be fabulous to read real reviews based on experience from women all over the world.

Hemlon
08-25-2007, 13:32
I have bookmarked the site and look forward to seeing it after construction!

Liv7301
08-25-2007, 21:53
I would love to see gear reviews for plus size ladies! Sometimes I can use women's gear and sometimes I have to substitute men's gear. It would be great to have a source for wetsuits, bcs, etc that accomodate us big girls.

ixrayu
08-25-2007, 22:04
I look forward to seeing this site when it is up and running!

Queen
08-26-2007, 06:23
I would love to see gear reviews for plus size ladies! Sometimes I can use women's gear and sometimes I have to substitute men's gear. It would be great to have a source for wetsuits, bcs, etc that accomodate us big girls.
Hear, hear! :thumb: I do get tired of trying to rig guys gear to fit.

Silvia
08-26-2007, 09:29
I hear you gals - I'll start researching womens' gear and have a section on the site. If you have any tips please share them.

I cannot agree more with you ... I dive in New England, where the water is VERY cold, visibility is less than great, and one needs to use a dry suit to be comfortable. I wanted to rent and try suits before buying one, since we are talking about a lot of money here, and all I could rent were trilaminate men suits - I cannot describe how awkward I felt, until I lacked out and met a female instructor on the boat, who kindly let me borrow her dry suit - she is smaller than me, but it fit well enough for me to fall in love with it and order my own, customized to my measures (it's being made right now, cannot wait to get it in a couple of weeks). By the way, it is made of neoprene, not trilaminate, so one needs less underwear bulk under the suit - wonderful! It is also cheaper - what a find!

She also talked me into trying smaller tanks, which made a big difference to me, since I am short and not very strong. Instead of using the common aluminum 80s, I am now using steel 65s, which also require less weight on my belt or BC. Since the water here is very cold (40 to 65 at this time depending on depth), I usually get cold before I run out of air, and even with the 65s I come up with air in my tank. Plus having less air available motivates me to control my breathing more carfully, which is a good thing anyway.

Thanks to a woman's experience and insight, I am now comfortable diving in one of the most difficult diving areas of the world :-) But I must say ... I cannot wait to get on warm waters again!

Please keep your ideas coming - we'll make this sport more accomodating to us by speaking up and cooperating with each other.:smiley20:

ParrotheadDiver
08-26-2007, 12:50
Traveling alone....I would like to see info on resorts/hotels/dive destinations/dive ops....that are safe and do not charge a single upcharge or that have a roommate option...

Queen
08-26-2007, 14:47
Traveling alone....I would like to see info on resorts/hotels/dive destinations/dive ops....that are safe and do not charge a single upcharge or that have a roommate option...

Excellent point, I too take dive trips alone (non diving SO) and have concerns about the safety of travel to some diving hot spots. :thumb:

Silvia
08-26-2007, 15:33
... I've managed to always travel with groups, but I can see how I might want to do it alone (specially since my husband does not dive). Thanks for the idea, love it!

skippy11
08-26-2007, 21:15
Destination info would be great, as I will be a female diver, traveling w/ a non-diver. It was kinda scary being on a boat or a location of all strangers. I know the dive community is a very friendly community, but one is still a little aprehensive alone.

I look forward to the site.

lucidblue
08-26-2007, 21:28
1- hints and tips for women divers (I already saw some useful information on this forum)
2- a facility to find women buddies by geographical area
3- interviews with experienced women divers
4- description of diving sites recommended by women divers

All of this sounds good. Also I agree with Zenagirl, a place to review women's gear would be great. I'd love to see reviews by people that use the site (like epinions, Amazon or book reviews on barnesandnoble.com, instead of just reviews in magazines that have sponsors.

Silvia
08-27-2007, 08:05
Exactly, I was thinking about this yesterday ... I don't want to have reviews that nobody pays attention to because people think they are not objective .... perhaps we can start by listing all the manufactures that make women's gear, and then ask the site visitors to share their experience. Thanks for the info.

Silvia
08-27-2007, 08:28
It's a great suggestion, thanks.

I heard Dominica is a great place to travel with a non diver, since it has a lot to do on land.

caroln
08-28-2007, 17:10
I'd like to see info on possible different health/physiological issues for women divers as opposed to men divers. For example, women carry thier weight differently then men, does this impact DCS at all? Also, I second (third) the desire for travel info, particularly info regarding safety for a female traveling alone, and also topside entertainment at diving spots for non divers. Lastly, I'd like some info/articles on women who've advanced in more typically man dominated areas of diving like caving and wreck diving, and possibly an area where women who have progressed in those areas could mentor women interested in following that path.

divechaplain-sara
08-28-2007, 18:19

Amen sister. Actually, I would just like for them to realize that women larger than a size 12 do lead active lifestyles and start making stuff for us. And we also like clothes and scuba gear that both fit and look good.

eenglish
08-28-2007, 18:39
Hi Ladies,

I'd appreciate some advice. I have a problem with my weights. I'm 120 pounds and if I use enough weights for a decent without pulling myself down the anchor line, I am then too heavy on the bottom. Then on my safety stop, I'm usually have to hang on tight so I don't shoot to the surface.

savannahbell
08-28-2007, 19:31
Hi Ladies,

I'd appreciate some advice. I have a problem with my weights. I'm 120 pounds and if I use enough weights for a decent without pulling myself down the anchor line, I am then too heavy on the bottom. Then on my safety stop, I'm usually have to hang on tight so I don't shoot to the surface.

How much weight are you currently wearing? Are you diving in Fresh or Salt water will also be a factor as well.

My instructor had me wearing around 14 pounds of lead in class with a 3mm full suit on in Salt water. When we noticed I was having problems with my weight I also had on 14 pounds. Of course we did not figure this out then, it was not until our first real dive trip right out of class that I shot right thru my safety stop.

I have only been diving in Springs since then but the last time I was down diving in the spring this year I had about 24 pounds of lead on then. If I am correct I think there is about a 4 to 7 pound difference between salt and fresh water. What we did the first few dives after we figured out that I was under weight was go down to Ginnie Springs and Blue Grotto and work on skills and play around with my weight and bouncy control until I found the right match. Seemed easier to go to a Spring that I liked vs the OW and do our skills.

Hope this helps some. Good luck and keep us posted.

Liv7301
08-28-2007, 22:13

Amen sister. Actually, I would just like for them to realize that women larger than a size 12 do lead active lifestyles and start making stuff for us. And we also like clothes and scuba gear that both fit and look good.

It's comforting that that are some others out there in my same situation. Though I appreciate that some wetsuit companies make up to a ladies' "size 16" in wetsuit land it does not in fact fit a size 16.

I would also love to see a "questions you were afraid to ask" section. This would be for all of those things like...chaffing, feminine products, how to keep the "the girls" supported during a whole day on a boat with your bathing suit on...

Divegirl
08-30-2007, 22:04
It would be cool to have an area where dive women can chat with other dive women in their geographic area. That way for those women who would love to go on dive trips, they may connect with others in the area and find a fantastic travel buddy.

Great idea, go for it girl

ScubaJenn81
08-31-2007, 05:38
I second a "questions you were afraid to ask" area. When you are the only woman on a boat, sometimes it is hard to deal with changing/peeing/etc.

Charlotte Smith
08-31-2007, 05:44
I second a "questions you were afraid to ask" area. When you are the only woman on a boat, sometimes it is hard to deal with changing/peeing/etc.

I feel your pain! alot of us just tell the guys to get under the boat...but that may not work for a big group.

rach
10-28-2007, 23:32
wow, this thread has turned into a lot of different discussions!

dominica IS a great place to go because there's a ton to do topside--i live here and had a non-diver friend visit (she ended up doing discover scuba and LOVED it--yay!) but was busy on her own every single day!

as far as the weight problem goes, i've notice in most of my dives that women seem to end up with a lot of extra weight...while it does take time learning real bouancy control, a 120lb woman shouldn't have more than 10 even with a full 3mm in saltwater...i've gotten down to carrying 6lbs and it makes my dives so much easier--not to mention getting back in the boat with an integrated system!

oh, and AMEN to those 65 smaller cylinders--they're a Godsend!

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 08:29
Wow. Interesting thread.
I would like tips and hints for females, like hair issue - I know this has been covered somewhere else in the board, but for female divers who might not be aware of this board, it might help; accommodation - beds, liveaboard etc; what some of the others said about being in a male community.
It would be interesting to see if there's any study on buoyancy control and weights differences between male and female - or is it merely one of experiences. Apparently female has better breathing control compared to guys - I am not sure if there's a scientific fact or just one of observations.
Exercises tailored for the diving female who would have to lug all those gears and equipments around (pier and shore divers) - finning, strength, stamina etc etc. Maybe if there might be an optimal placement of weights for the female body as opposed to the male (if there's a difference).
That's all I can think of for now.

Cheddarchick
11-17-2007, 16:09
I would like to see women's dive clothes that don't scream scuba slu...., or dive bunny, or have a boxom oily girl on them.....And ones which will actually fit a real sized woman

nubie1541
11-17-2007, 17:43
It's great to see someone trying to do some research on what women want -- and I don't mean those fashion model types who are on the cover of magazine and in print ads.
I second the motion on plus size gear, and would like to put in a plug for gal-sized accessories.
I bought a dive knife that was way too long for my calf -- wish I had known!!

PhD4JC
11-23-2007, 09:45
hints and tips for women divers (I already saw some useful information on this forum)
hints and tips not just for traveling alone as a woman diver, but for traveling with a child. My son is currently 10 and I am a single mom, so hat has severly limited my diving opportunities. This summer I took him on the dive boat with me as a non-diver passenger and it worked out well, I was able to dive kauai as a result.

Also more info on any agencies that specialize in gear for women, particularly the plus sized woman. Finding a full cold water suit has been a challenge for me. As well as a BDC that fits properly.

you can email me for an interview at PhD4JC@hotmail.com

Scuba Duba
05-17-2011, 07:37
This may take a bit to explain so bear with me! Im a 53 year old plus size woman. My husband i just this last weekend went and took our Padi diving classes to get certified. The first night was bookwork, after that the teacher handed out our BCD jackets and we went through on how to hook up the regulators and etc to the BCD. Next day more bookwork, then off to the pool. i did my 12 laps fine, 20 min of floating fine, then on went the weight belt with 20 lbs of weights and im not sure how much they had put in the jacket of the BCD, jumped in the water and thats were the nightmare started. I could not stay in one place in the pool. I was floating all over the place. I was floating into the teacher and other students. My husband was having the same trouble but not as bad as me. So we go underwater and do several skills which i did ok, but was having a really hard time staying down on my knees. It was a constant battle to keep myself from floating all over the bottom of the pool. When we went up i asked the other teacher what was wrong he said oh maybe we should move your weights back from your hips... but they didnt ever move them. Finally after 2 hours of this fighting to stay still i was exhausted. I made it as far as the mask clear and was wore out. Next morn, we take out written test, Passed!! Then back in the pool.. same thing again. floating all over the pool.My husband said that my shoulder straps of the BCD were at the level of my ears!!. I asked the teacher one more time why i was drifting all over the pool and why my BCD was riding up on my head and never got an answer. After trying to do rescue skills with buddy on top of the water and me trying to stay in one place how was i going to possibly help rescue my buddy when i couldnt even help myself? I was enbarrassed by now and i felt that i was slowing down the class and i told the teacher i was done and got out of the pool, got dressed, walked out to the parking lot and sat in the car for 2 hours untill my husband was done and got his PADI card. I would like to give it another try but untill someone can help me fix what was wrong there is no point. Can someone please help me to know was it me or the equipment? I really felt like the teacher had lost interest in helping me and was on a tight schedule and just wanted to get us in and out of the pool and get it all done.

Diver Kat
05-17-2011, 10:45
SD .... sounds like you need to either have a heart to heart with the current instructor to help you with what could be BCD sizing/weight/weight distribution problems, or ask for another instructor that is willing to actually pay attention and work with you. #1 you're going to have to speak up. You're paying for the classes, so make sure you get the training - and the help - you need. My top priority when I went to get certified was finding an instructor I could relate to and be comfortable with. It makes a world of difference!

Your BCD could be too big; you might not be getting all the air out when submerging; you might not have enough weight; the weight might be placed in the wrong position for you. Could be a number of things causing you the problems. A good instructor can help you figure it out. Don't give up!!!

Grizbear98
05-17-2011, 14:19
I agree with Kat, I had the same problem until I found the right gear for myself and found the right weight distribution. In open water courses, we tend to teach divers to wear weight around their waist and often overweight them to get them under, but for me to stay in place I have weights in the top pockets of my BC and in the front pockets. If I wear a weight belt with my integrated back inflate BC I wear all the belt weights on my back. A good course to look at when you finish your open water depending on who your certification is through is a buoyancy class. Don't give up, it can take a lot of dives to find the perfect buoyancy a good instructor should be able to help you through but also a lot of just trying different equipment and weight positioning may help as well.

rkj1969
05-17-2011, 22:34
answered on your other thread!!

tammyj83
06-09-2011, 07:12
Is the web site up? If so, what's the name of it? I'd like to check it out

Diver Kat
06-09-2011, 08:50
Tammy - the OP disappeared a couple days after she started this thread, never to reappear. So I'm guessing she didn't follow through on her plans.

scubajane
06-09-2011, 15:44
dang that would have been a great website!!!

TwistedSister209
06-10-2011, 08:22
But y'all know we'd miss the input from the guys.

Diver Kat
06-10-2011, 08:27
But y'all know we'd miss the input from the guys.

As if they would actually stay out! LOL!!!

scubajane
06-10-2011, 16:11
they make up stuff...

tammyj83
06-10-2011, 18:00
Yep, it was a good idea. Still is. As far as I can tell, there isn't already a site like it.

ScubaDoobyDo
08-08-2011, 16:52
So....did the site launch? Where is it? I'd love to browse around!