PDA

View Full Version : Miflex HP hose

cbope
06-20-2009, 14:44
Anyone try out the Miflex HP hose that ST is now carrying? Seems like it might be a good idea for replacing stiff, less-than-flexible regular HP hoses.

I haven't seen one yet, but I'll be visiting ST in a couple of weeks, so I will definitely take a look at one if they have em in stock.

CompuDude
06-20-2009, 19:05
I don't really consider stiff HP hoses to be anywhere near the top of my "problems to be solved" list (other than on deco bottles), but I do intend to check these out at some point. I haven't heard any bad feedback yet, but they haven't been out very long.

IndyDiver
06-20-2009, 19:40
I see these as a solution looking for a problem.

I think miflex on regs is great, I have them on all the regs/octos in the family. I find the need for miflex on inflator hoses questionable, because they are routed next to the corrugated hose most of the time. I don't see the need at all for a super flexible hose for the spg that is clipped to my hip.

That said, I don't know anyone who has one yet. So, I haven't heard anything pro or con yet.

CompuDude
06-20-2009, 20:22

I think miflex on regs is great, I have them on all the regs/octos in the family. I find the need for miflex on inflator hoses questionable, because they are routed next to the corrugated hose most of the time. I don't see the need at all for a super flexible hose for the spg that is clipped to my hip.

That said, I don't know anyone who has one yet. So, I haven't heard anything pro or con yet.

Miflex on the LP hose depends on your hose routing. While it's true the hose mostly followed the corrugated hose (where flexibility is irrelevant) it's not uncommon for there to be a tight curve on the hose once it reaches the back of the hose and has to curve tightly to hit the LP port in the first stage. Especially an issue if the LP hose is a hair longer than it really needs to be.

I agree re HP hoses, however... with the huge exception of deco and stage bottles. Traditional rigs use a short 6" HP hose that curves in a 180 degree bend, and those hoses would definitely benefit from the extra flexibility of Miflex. This is not the case in either a traditional recreational rig or even a DIR singles/doubles backgas rig, however. I see little benefit there, if any. (No harm, probably, but no real gain, either)

http://dir-diver.com/pics/stages/dst_on_30.jpg

navyhmc
06-20-2009, 20:50

I haven't heard much about the HP miflex, but I do know a Tech instructor/diver extrordinaire in this area that swears by the LP miflex. Last dive I talked with him at he was telling me he's switched all his LP hoses for Miflex and only his HP's are traditional. I haven't seen him since the HP miflex came out. Hopefully I'll see him soon.

Jack Hammer
06-20-2009, 22:03
I've got the Miflex on all me regs, it's great. I find the flexiblity much nicer and it lays very flat with long hoses. Highly recommended.

I'm not sure about the high pressure hoses being more beneficial other than maybe they're more durable. I had a HP hose start leaking after another diver on a boat tried moving my rig by grabbing all the hoses at the 1st stage. (yes, I had a word with him about touching other peoples stuff and f***ing them up). I'd get the Miflex if it was more affordable and I needed a new HP hose. I've talked to one person who is using the new Miflex HP and he said it works great and is no thicker than a pencil. (the regular ones work great too at less than half the price)

Jack

IndyDiver
06-20-2009, 23:07
Good point. I wasn't thinking about stage/deco bottles at all when I wrote the post.

As to your other point...The only real harm that can be caused by Miflex HP hoses is the damage they can do to my wallet. I hate anything that damages my wallet unnecessarily. :smiley19:

I agree re HP hoses, however... with the huge exception of deco and stage bottles. Traditional rigs use a short 6" HP hose that curves in a 180 degree bend, and those hoses would definitely benefit from the extra flexibility of Miflex. This is not the case in either a traditional recreational rig or even a DIR singles/doubles backgas rig, however. I see little benefit there, if any. (No harm, probably, but no real gain, either)

http://dir-diver.com/pics/stages/dst_on_30.jpg

rongoodman
06-21-2009, 10:57
I just added the Miflex HP hose to my doubles rig and like it. It's amazing how flexible it is, even when pressurized. One of the biggest benefits I've seen with them is how light and compact they pack for travel. OTOH, the short hose on the stage bottle seems almost too floppy. I'm not sure they're worth it there, although with less stress on the hose, they'll probably outlast the standard hoses with that tight bend.

cbope
06-21-2009, 12:48
I was really thinking about this as a replacement when it's time to replace the HP hose... not that I was considering to buy it immediately and change out a perfectly good 1-year old HP hose.

ScottW
06-21-2009, 17:01
The Miflex HP hose is killer. Have a Divemaster just show up with all new Miflex hoses. Strange to see that small of a hose with a console on the end of it. From what he told me, he shaved about 1.5 pounds from his rig by changing. Packs up nice and small now also.

navyhmc
06-21-2009, 17:18
The Miflex HP hose is killer. Have a Divemaster just show up with all new Miflex hoses. Strange to see that small of a hose with a console on the end of it. From what he told me, he shaved about 1.5 pounds from his rig by changing. Packs up nice and small now also.

I think that would be a definite plus to mifles too: Less space to pack.

My only concern about mifles is what is the long term durability? I have a few hoses on some older gear (i.e. 25 yo) that I've taken care of and the hoses are still in great shape and I've done a few controlled environment dives with them and have had no problems. I still wonder how durable the miflex will be over time and what kind of extra care it needs to stay supple and safe.

Jack Hammer
06-21-2009, 19:01
According to their marketing the hoses will last 3x as long as a regular hose and have much higher working and burst pressures. It must be true if the marketing department says so, right?

Jack:smiley29:

CompuDude
06-22-2009, 13:39
According to their marketing the hoses will last 3x as long as a regular hose and have much higher working and burst pressures. It must be true if the marketing department says so, right?

Jack:smiley29:

Early reports on the LP Miflex hoses have been pretty positive, so they may be correct. They've been around for years in England, they're just new here.

Long term info for the HP hoses doesn't exist yet, of course.

The one exception to longevity I have come across was a hardcore wreck diver. This is one of the guys who is constantly scraping across sharp metal edges as he explores interiors of natural (read: unprepared) wrecks. He complained that the plastic covering the Miflex abraded faster than the thick rubber hoses do. I'd believe that. Properly cared for in more normal diving conditions, however, at this point I'm inclined to believe the Miflex hoses will last longer than regular hoses.

MSilvia
06-22-2009, 13:43
I'm probably going to upgrade to MiFlex next time I need to replace hoses. I figure it should be pretty well proven by then (knock wood).

I was checking some of the hose out at the LDS the other day while I was bringing my mountain of crap in for service (The owner joked that he at first thought I had taken a new job as a gear rep), and it looked pretty awesome. I can't believe how small the HP hose is.

CompuDude
06-22-2009, 13:50
I'm probably going to upgrade to MiFlex next time I need to replace hoses. I figure it should be pretty well proven by then (knock wood).

I was checking some of the hose out at the LDS the other day while I was bringing my mountain of crap in for service (The owner joked that he at first thought I had taken a new job as a gear rep), and it looked pretty awesome. I can't believe how small the HP hose is.

Yeah, me, too. I'm not going to replace perfectly good hoses, but I don't think I'll be buying many rubber hoses in the future. I'm putting together a new reg set for my wife, and she's getting Miflex LP hoses, since I need to buy some hoses. I already had a spare HP hose, though, so that'll need to wait a while longer until one needs replacing, then I'll get slowly converted to full Miflex rigs. Very nice from a travel weight standpoint!

MSilvia
06-22-2009, 15:47
Very nice from a travel weight standpoint!
It's not bad from a "standing on the beach looking good" standpoint either.

CompuDude
06-22-2009, 16:02
Very nice from a travel weight standpoint!

Yup. I just finished ordering my wife's pretty blue 40" miflex reg hose (and 22" secondary for necklaced backup). I picked up a 90 degree elbow adapter some time ago in some sale at Piranha, so she should be good to go for her first pool session on Friday! (And stylin' with her electric blue primary hose LOL)

navyhmc
06-22-2009, 16:57
I'm giving serious thought to upgrading. The only porblem is I use a couple of Poseidons so I have to shell out big bucks for adapters.

ScottW
06-23-2009, 12:21

I have to tell you that my DM's setup with the yellow secondary, blue primary and skinny black HP attached to his blue tank with a yellow protector looked pretty dang sharp.
Not ready to pull the trigger yet so I can 'look good' on the beach and boat.

navyhmc
06-23-2009, 14:36

I have to tell you that my DM's setup with the yellow secondary, blue primary and skinny black HP attached to his blue tank with a yellow protector looked pretty dang sharp.

Trendy! I like it...:smiley36:

I can just see a particular forum member going all pink. :smiley36:

Zeagle Eagle
07-06-2009, 17:24

Matt, I am getting ready to send in 4 regs for service to ST, was thinking about replacing the hoses. How is the miFlex working out for you?

matt reed
07-06-2009, 22:55
I've got Miflex on all my personal gear and the gear I use for students. LP and HP, and on my rebreather as well. Can't say enough good things about it...light and flexible, and very durable.

I dont see myself buying anything else in the future...

hth

mitsuguy
07-07-2009, 01:51

That's my setup... well, will be in a few days when the HP hoses show up... (blue 40" primary with right angle, yellow secondary)

as a DM / Instructor, it's up to us to have all the cool stuff :)

(except the blue tank / yellow protector - I do way too many dives in a day to have enough tanks to make that worth my while) - I just use standard silver aluminum tanks...

Fireplug
06-28-2011, 22:01
I'm all Miflexed out to include ST providing me with the correct ends to adapt to my Zeagle BCD. I really like that they are light and flexible, making them easy to pack. As a guy who grooves on all "the toys", I couldn't resist!!!