PDA

View Full Version : Dive Report - Bay of Green Bay part 2

crosseyed95
06-21-2009, 18:52
The wife and I spent both Saturday and Sunday diving in the Bay of Green Bay. I was hoping to head out of town but I had to attend a dinner on Saturday night.

Not much variety on the wrecks since we dove the Jenni Bell all weekend. We were on a mission to explore out from the wreck to see if we could locate any wreckage.

Saturday dive #1 - tied off on the stern and headed north. Pretty much a wasteland. However, at 255' off the wreck I located some cabling. Not sure if this is part of the wreck but marked this to explore in the future.

Saturday dive #2 - the best part of this dive was having a fellow ScubaToys diver tie up behind the boat. We were taking a long surface interval so they dove during that time and then headed out. Unfortunately, we didn't get much of a chance to talk but it was really pleasant just to exchange some words. During the dive, we again tied on the stern with nothing located.

Sunday dive #1 - tied to the stern and went directly into the valley. I lost track of my counts but I believe we went about 150' out. Hit a depth of 136' so we were getting close to the valley floor. Nothing located except some dead lawyers. I did take a little trip down the old narc highway on this dive so I ended up putting my "A" game on. In the valley the visibility dropped to about 15' and turned to midnight.

Sunday dive #2 - tied on the bow and headed up the valley into about 80' of water. Ended up traveling about 150'. A pretty good current slowed us down. Located some interesting rock features but struck out again on any wreckage.

Visibility on both days was pretty much the same which was maybe 40'. Bottom temp as usual was around 43' and the thermal cline was at 20' and about 10 deg warmer. Made for a good safety stop. Had 1' to 2' waves on Saturday but Sunday morning it was like glass. But Sunday's luck couldn't be totally in my favor since I think every May Fly in the bay was on my boat. Nothing like a little protein while trying to each lunch.

Happy diving.
crosseyed95

Lake Michijim
06-21-2009, 21:07
Shipped out of Egg harbor on Saturday on a two pronged mission with a few members of the Deep Six. ( www.Deepsixscuba.com) First stop the Jenny Bell where we me up with Crosseyed95. He was off gassing and was kind enough to let us tie off on the back of his boat. We dove the JennyBell that sits in about 100 fow. The jenny is an unright schooner that has her stern parted and it's sitting on the bottom next to her. Because of the crowded conditions in the boat we were on, the Martuni, I just had my Cannon Power Shot. Although we had about 40 foot viz, very good for Green bay, there was a lot of suspended matter. Only my close in shots were useable. Really neat wreck though and well worth another visit.
Our next wreck was the Carrington where we attached the state mooring. I got the job of finding the chain, tying off a line to it and then attaching the mooring itself to it. A job which I enjoy. It's a blast.

Jim

crosseyed95
06-22-2009, 17:11
Shipped out of Egg harbor on Saturday on a two pronged mission with a few members of the Deep Six. ( www.Deepsixscuba.com (http://www.Deepsixscuba.com)) First stop the Jenny Bell where we me up with Crosseyed95. He was off gassing and was kind enough to let us tie off on the back of his boat. We dove the JennyBell that sits in about 100 fow. The jenny is an unright schooner that has her stern parted and it's sitting on the bottom next to her. Because of the crowded conditions in the boat we were on, the Martuni, I just had my Cannon Power Shot. Although we had about 40 foot viz, very good for Green bay, there was a lot of suspended matter. Only my close in shots were useable. Really neat wreck though and well worth another visit.
Our next wreck was the Carrington where we attached the state mooring. I got the job of finding the chain, tying off a line to it and then attaching the mooring itself to it. A job which I enjoy. It's a blast.

Jim

Hey Lake Michijim,

It really was a pleasure having you guys tie up. I only wish we could have had more time to sit and chat.

I see you have a crap load of dives under your belt so you probably already know this but there is a section on the keel where we keep the zebra mussles cleaned off. You can see three of the keel numbers and might make a good picture. Again, you may already know this but I wanted to point it out if you didn't. Should make an excellent picture.

Finally, nice picture of me and the wife on our boat. To set the record straight, the boat is leaning to the side I'm sitting on because of the waves. Honest, and I'm sticking to that story...:smilie39:

If you guys are ever up this way again and want another boat to tag along, let me know.

crosseyed95

Cheddarchick
06-22-2009, 18:48
How great to meet in the middle of the Big Pond...and find out it is a Scubaboarder...sweet

Lake Michijim
06-24-2009, 13:43
Thanks for the tip Crosseyed! I'll definetely revisit the Jenny Bell. I've done a lot of diving up and down the left coast of Lake Michigan, but I haven't ventured into the Bay of Green Bay too much. We had a full boat Saturday so I left the Top Dawg home. Wish I would have had it!!! Later that day we installed the state mooring on the Carrington. The next day I did the Walter B Allen off Sheboygan. What a great dive weekend!

Jim

crosseyed95
06-24-2009, 18:04
Thanks for the tip Crosseyed! I'll definetely revisit the Jenny Bell. I've done a lot of diving up and down the left coast of Lake Michigan, but I haven't ventured into the Bay of Green Bay too much. We had a full boat Saturday so I left the Top Dawg home. Wish I would have had it!!! Later that day we installed the state mooring on the Carrington. The next day I did the Walter B Allen off Sheboygan. What a great dive weekend!

Jim

The wife and I love the Walter B Allen. I'm jealous that you have such a beautiful wreck by you. We usually get down there once, maybe twice, a summer.

However, our usual places are around the UP and St. Ignace. This weekend we are planning Washington Island with a backup of Munising depending upon the weather.

I was checking out the Deep Six website and you guys seem pretty cool. I'm not much for regimented clubs since they place too many mandates. Again, you guys seem pretty cool. What are your meetings like? If you have something going on this winter, we'd be interesting in coming down to hang out at one and meet everyone.

Let me know.

crosseyed95

Lake Michijim
06-24-2009, 21:40
I founded the Deep six last year for divers who actually want to go diving. We are not a club per say, we are a group. There are no dues and the rules are few. practically non existant. LOL. The only thing I insisted upon that no one can serve as President more then one year at a time. I didn't want it to turn into so and so's group and I wanted to encourage participation of the membership in the groups "organization". I wanted everyone to feel part of the group and feel that he or she had a stake in it. So far, it has worked out very well. We have a really great cast of characters that come from all sorts of back grounds. Our meetings? As there is only one office, the President, he or she attempts to keep some order to the proceedings. A tall order. ha. We are very fortuneate to be led by Fred Remers this year as he does a great job and cares a great deal about the club. He was on the boat on Saturday by the way. We dive most every weekend some where. And when one of the members plans a dive trip somewhere they open it up to the membership. We've been to Wazee, Fortune Pond and Baileys harbor. Some of our members have done Black Beards, Bonaire and this July, Seba. One of the guys who did Bonaire got 24 hours bottom time in a week. That's some divin'!!!
Were planning on Washington Island Labor day weekend. If the weather gods permit we may have a couple three boats out there. Munising is a neat place. Don't overlook the shore diving possibilities. Theres some cool stuff up there. In winter we do some ice diving. We had about a half dozen, myself included, at Wazee Sports Ice dive. We also had a good showing at Beach harbor in Sturgeon Bay.
Your always welcome to join us where ever we may roam, be it a meeting or a dive. Check the web site and or shoot us an email. We'll let you know what's going on.:smiley2:

Jim

mstrdvr
06-25-2009, 05:50
thanks for all the info on Green Bay and the lake . I live in Cambridge WI (near Madison) and will be doing my first Lake Mich. dive the end of July with Loves Park Scuba. Going to the Lumberman and #6 dredge. Any body got info on these wrecks? I am also going to Wazee the 12th of july , anyone want to join?

Lake Michijim
06-25-2009, 07:56
Here are some shots of the Lumberman I took back in '05 with my trusty Nikonos II. She lies flat on the bottom. Her hull makes a good swim through as she lies empty. Four years ago her bow was coming apart. I haven't been back since so I don't know it's present condition. It's an easy fun dive.
I just have video on the No.6. and I don't have it posted anywhere. The No.6 is upside down and has a big steam shovel type bucket laying on the bottom next to it along with parts of the super structure that made it work. Bring a good light as you'll want it for looking into the upside down interior.
Both wrecks are well worth a visit.

Jim

crosseyed95
06-25-2009, 17:57
I founded the Deep six last year for divers who actually want to go diving. We are not a club per say, we are a group. There are no dues and the rules are few. practically non existant. LOL. The only thing I insisted upon that no one can serve as President more then one year at a time. I didn't want it to turn into so and so's group and I wanted to encourage participation of the membership in the groups "organization". I wanted everyone to feel part of the group and feel that he or she had a stake in it. So far, it has worked out very well. We have a really great cast of characters that come from all sorts of back grounds. Our meetings? As there is only one office, the President, he or she attempts to keep some order to the proceedings. A tall order. ha. We are very fortuneate to be led by Fred Remers this year as he does a great job and cares a great deal about the club. He was on the boat on Saturday by the way. We dive most every weekend some where. And when one of the members plans a dive trip somewhere they open it up to the membership. We've been to Wazee, Fortune Pond and Baileys harbor. Some of our members have done Black Beards, Bonaire and this July, Seba. One of the guys who did Bonaire got 24 hours bottom time in a week. That's some divin'!!!
Were planning on Washington Island Labor day weekend. If the weather gods permit we may have a couple three boats out there. Munising is a neat place. Don't overlook the shore diving possibilities. Theres some cool stuff up there. In winter we do some ice diving. We had about a half dozen, myself included, at Wazee Sports Ice dive. We also had a good showing at Beach harbor in Sturgeon Bay.
Your always welcome to join us where ever we may roam, be it a meeting or a dive. Check the web site and or shoot us an email. We'll let you know what's going on.:smiley2:

Jim

Thanks for the info. Like I said, we may come to one of your meetings this winter just for something to do and to meet some fellow divers. Just a note, if you ever have divers coming up this way and they'd like another boat out there, don't hesitate to let me know. If I'm in town that weekend, I'd be glad to run out on the Bay.

Hope to see you around and happy diving.
crosseyed95