PDA

View Full Version : Crist Spears

No Misses
06-22-2009, 10:14
I just got back from the Bahamas, where I got to use my new Crist Pole Spear. :-)

Wow. My freediving skills have greatly reduced now that I am a bubble blower. It took me a whole day to get to where I could comfortably hunt.

Back to my new toy - I ordered the 8' two section pole spear from Aaron Crist. You can reach out an touch somebody with this thing! Overall rating - this is a GREAT pole spear. It is solid. Not whippy like the thin fiberglass ones.

The one minor detractor was the new "heat-shrink" grip. This is a new grip material that Aaron is trying out. After a few dives it started sliding back on the shaft. I was able to slide it back into place a secure it with electrical tape. This worked well for the remainder of my trip. When I contacted Aaron, he offered to replace the grip and/or send me a roll of grip tape (the original grip material), so that I could do it myself. I thanked him for his offer. But, there was no need. I can easily remedy this myself.

I highly recommend Crist Spears for thier solid construction and outstanding customer service.
Crist Spears - Home (http://www.cristspears.com/home)

P.S. check out the 10 lb Hog Fish.

frogman911
06-26-2009, 08:15
Never really used a spear underwater. I'm guessing you don't really throw it, but just stab them? And why not a spear gun which may be a bit shorter and therefore easier to control? I did like spear fishing the few times I did it wading thru a river.....Here in lake Michigan, you'd just need a piece of sharpened rebar, cuz all we have are gobies and burbots!

No Misses
06-26-2009, 09:26
Spear guns are not allowed in the Bahamas. It is also illegal to hunt / harvest while on SCUBA.

There are two types of Spearfishing gear that can be used there.

Pole Spear - long spear with a "bungee" attached to the non-pointy end. You slip the bungee over your hand and stretch it as far as possible toward the pointy end. When you loosen your grip, the spear flies forward (the length of the bungee).

Hawaiian Sling – This is very much like a slingshot. Except that it fires shafts instead of rocks.

Both of these are “human powered”. You can not put any more force into a shot, than you can create at that moment. If you think about it, spearguns store energy. It is normal for guns to have bands that take all of your effort to stretch back to the notch. You can load multiple bands and thus store more energy.

navyhmc
06-26-2009, 15:00
To link to another thread, hopefully the Bahamas will rethink that for lion fish.

No Misses
06-29-2009, 07:13
Pole spears work great for lion fish. They do not runn away like most "game fish". I killed one a few weeks ago by just poking it with my loaded speargun. I did not have to pull the trigger.

frogman911
06-29-2009, 08:01
No Misses, thanks for the explanations. Good stuff! Sounds like a lot of fun. I guess the No Scuba thing lends to a more fair chase. You must be healthy, eating all that fish!

No Misses
06-29-2009, 15:09
I am either healthy of full of mercury. It depends who you ask.

navyhmc
06-29-2009, 15:20

Well, I eat a lot of fish, but folks tell me I'm full of....Well, it ain't mercury... :smiley36:

reeldive
06-30-2009, 09:03

Maybe all that mercury explains something about us.
Mad as a hatter are ya!