PDA

View Full Version : Good Computer on a Budget

stekun
06-23-2009, 09:39
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good dive computer for someone on a budget. I don't have an exact price range I'm constrained too, but as a student saving every penny I can helps tremendously. What's the lowest you would be willing to go and still have the features you can't do without?

DMWiz
06-23-2009, 09:42
If you can find a used Suunto Gekko I've seen them go as cheap as $100 and it does everything a rec. diver will ever need.

ScubaToys Larry
06-23-2009, 10:19
First thing you need to do is figure out what features you are after... You can get new air wrist computers for just over 100 bucks, and for $165, you can get a nitrox computer... So it's really just what features, size, algorithm you want... Scuba Diving Computers Wrist Units with reviews on sale (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=2&subcat=152&txtsearchParamCat=97&txtCatName=2)

I'd shop for the features I want, not the price then settle with a feature set I might not want...

Defman
06-23-2009, 10:35
The Mares M2 Nitrox is probably one of the best bargains out there. Even if you don't dive Nitrox, you'll have it if you ever do.... and I think it'll help on resale if you ever decide to get rip of it.

navyhmc
06-23-2009, 14:53
A buddy uses the Mares M-2 and loves it-a little big but for the price is a great computer.

fire diver
06-23-2009, 16:12
As always, I will suggest the family of : DiveRite DUO / Zeagle N2Ition / Apeks Quantum / Tusa IQ-700 computers. These are all the EXACT same computer. Zeagle gives you a better warranty, ST carries them, and ST has a great price on them.

A quick rundown on why I like this computer....

Large display
Has backlight option
Can be used as a computer or as a bottom timer
can be used with up to 2 nitrox gasses
Has a DSS wrist boot mount available
Is downloadable (if you can get a cable for less than an arm and a leg)

CompuDude
06-23-2009, 16:47
Things I won't live without in a dive computer:

Nitrox-capable
Wrist, not console (one that works with both is obviously ok)
prefer DSS bungee mount available
prefer gauge mode option
prefer downloadable

Not a big fan of how conservative Suunto's model is, but the Gekko is a nice inexpensive computer, no doubt.

Scout
06-23-2009, 17:15
I dive with a Suunto Gecko and it does everything I need right now. It's not air integrated, though. I'd like to take it off the console and wrist mount it for ease of use.

Tassie Diver
06-23-2009, 18:00
Features ARE important. Work out what you need then find the one that does all/most of them. Also, you may keep the computer for a number of years, so if you have any plans to advance your diving in the future, buy a computer with that in mind.

My first computer was an old Suunto Favor. I'm only just replacing it because I don't like its deco profiles (bit aggressive). But I dived it for 10 years without incident.

Cheers

TD.

CFDAlden
06-24-2009, 03:41
Another Gekko vote here. Nitrox for future use, easy to use.

UofTOrange
06-24-2009, 13:39
That M2 is great. It does everything I need except for air integrate

stekun
06-25-2009, 08:44
Thanks for the tips. I'm checking out a few of the models you all mentioned. The M2 seems like what I'm looking for, for the most part.

BubblesMcCoy
06-25-2009, 09:05
I've got an M2 and love it. My dive buddy got a Veo. Both are great computers, but when his battery dies he'll have to get a special kit to replace it. The M2 works off of standard AAA batteries that are in a separate sealed compartment from the electronics. The only thing I don't like about the M2 is that it doesn't have a nitrogen loading bar that the Veo has. So I have to punch a couple of buttons to see where I'm at for repetitive dives.

The M2 is much like an AK47, it isn't pretty, it isn't small, but it's rugged and effective. Just my two cents.

fire diver
06-25-2009, 09:16
That reminds me of the other feature I like about the DUO/N2Ition/IQ-700 computers. You can easily change the battery in the field. No special tools or "kits" needed. The battery is a standard CR2032 watch battery, and the battery case is sealed from the internals.

I just looked at the M2 computer on ST's website. That is a helluva deal on a nitrox computer. The downsides (for me personally) are that it is a single gas computer, and that it won't fit into a DSS boot.

Defman
06-25-2009, 10:37
I just looked at the M2 computer on ST's website. That is a helluva deal on a nitrox computer. The downsides (for me personally) are that it is a single gas computer, and that it won't fit into a DSS boot.

I just put one in my Tony Lama boot and it fit just fine, you got small feet or sumthin?

microbe boy
06-26-2009, 16:14
My vote goes for the N2ition - shopped around a lot looking at features, vs price and you really can't beat it. Purchasing mine from ST tomorrow!

06-26-2009, 23:33
If cheap is what you are looking for then go for the Mares M2. You just can not beat the price.

navyhmc
06-27-2009, 07:34
Dark Wolf here swears by his M2.

06-27-2009, 07:52
Dark Wolf here swears by his M2.
I will swear by them too. It is a little conservative but what the hell.

Darthwader
06-27-2009, 08:50
I've got an M2 and love it. My dive buddy got a Veo. Both are great computers, but when his battery dies he'll have to get a special kit to replace it. The M2 works off of standard AAA batteries that are in a separate sealed compartment from the electronics. The only thing I don't like about the M2 is that it doesn't have a nitrogen loading bar that the Veo has. So I have to punch a couple of buttons to see where I'm at for repetitive dives.

The M2 is much like an AK47, it isn't pretty, it isn't small, but it's rugged and effective. Just my two cents.
cool! you mean it fires 7.62x39?:smiley2:

navyhmc
06-27-2009, 09:27

cool! you mean it fires 7.62x39?:smiley2:

Nah, it means you can beat it up, stick in the mud and it comes up shooting out NDL limits. :smiley36: Besides, the Mares takes 7.62x63 :smiley36: