View Full Version : lights lights and more lights

mark44883
08-25-2007, 17:22
want to know you veiws on lights:smiley16:

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 17:25
they're good
they light things up
but don't look directly at them, they don't like that.

What type of light primary, secondary or marker?

DivingsInMyBlood
08-25-2007, 17:47
yep no staring contests with them you will lose, i like L.E.D lights

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 17:51
I almost beat an HID then I realized it was just warming up...grrr...I'll get him next time. On that note. HID is very powerful and has a great spectrum, but you pay for it!

mm_dm
08-25-2007, 17:53
LED. You can beat 'em, smack 'em around and they keep working. they're a little harder to find in canisters, but not that hard.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-25-2007, 17:54
I almost beat an HID then I realized it was just warming up...grrr...I'll get him next time. On that note. HID is very powerful and has a great spectrum, but you pay for it!

:smilie39:yeah and i bet all you had left are holes where your eyes were.

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 18:01
Ever seen a metal halide on a fish tank? Thats what I want underwater!!! someday I will have a 250w metal halide lamp down there. Wait then why dive at night? oh well I'll figure it out.

I do agree HID's are fragile A good LED seems to be the future!

terrillja
08-25-2007, 18:22
I did my AOW in the US Virgin Islands, where the vis is amazing. I have the Princeton Tec LED light pack, and have loved it. The viz here in nh is such that you must have a very powerful light, so when i went to the USVI, they had these little lights, which worked fine since the viz was good, but once I tuned my light, my light was brighter than the other 5 divers on the night dive pointing their lights at anything. The instructor said it made him feel like he was using a candle compared to a spotlight. My dad just bought the same kit, since it has a primary, a backup, and an emergency beacon.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-25-2007, 19:40
I did my AOW in the US Virgin Islands, where the vis is amazing. I have the Princeton Tec LED light pack, and have loved it. The viz here in nh is such that you must have a very powerful light, so when i went to the USVI, they had these little lights, which worked fine since the viz was good, but once I tuned my light, my light was brighter than the other 5 divers on the night dive pointing their lights at anything. The instructor said it made him feel like he was using a candle compared to a spotlight. My dad just bought the same kit, since it has a primary, a backup, and an emergency beacon.

I have the same pack and i like it. :smiley20:

diversteve
08-25-2007, 19:53
I bought a UK SL4 eLED. I loaned it to my buddy for a night dive. I was standing on the beach watching the group come in and my light was twice as bright as the others. One of my buddies commented that it was almost too bright. Nice flat white even light too. Fit's in my bc pocket. And no bulb to break if you drop it.

greyzen
08-25-2007, 20:26
duel UK SL4's

One blue and one yellow...

I would rather a larger light for night dives though

Zenagirl
08-26-2007, 08:24
I like my Nocturnal Light SLX. It's a nice LED light that uses AA batteries and goes very easy on them to last a LONG time. It's aluminum construction with a lantern grip instead of a pistol grip (hate the pistol grip), so it's smallish and stows easily in a pocket. The blue/white light is excellent for photography, and the wide (4') diffused area of light makes it easy to gently light up critters to photograph. At the same time, the center "hot spot" is bright and cuts through the night like a hot knife through butter or is outstanding for looking in nooks and crannies during day dives.

It's a little on the pricey side, but as my husband says "it's bullet proof", and the customer service and quality of construction is outstanding.