PDA

View Full Version : Never buy a used...?

Cichlid
07-11-2007, 23:40
Is there any piece of gear you'd never buy used? I'm finding that most people won't buy used regs, anything else?

dk2943
07-12-2007, 00:08
I bought a used set from my local LDS. They had just serviced it. I have had no problems

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 01:57
I'm not interested in buying a used wetsuit, as a general rule.

1) They compress with age and use, so they have a limited lifespan as it is. Now someone has gone and used up a portion of that lifespan, how much can only be known by how many dives, and how deep and the duration of each, and whether you'll take their word for it. Meh.

2) Bodily functions (think sweat... and other stuff) happen in wetsuits. I'll stick to my own, thanks.

I'll also never buy used underwear... for similar reasons. I'm drifting from the diving topic, however...

jacewindu
07-12-2007, 08:54
booties...

eeewwwww

Diver Dennis
07-12-2007, 09:54
I agree with these guys. I would never buy a used wetsuit or booties. Anything else would be OK because they can be serviced.

JahJahwarrior
07-12-2007, 17:19
My mask and fins are new....just becuase I couldn't find them used.

My wetsuit is used, and I would have no problem selling it. Keeps me warm and I pee in it. I'll tell that to whomever buys it :) I also wash all of my gear well.

My regs are used, infact, most of them haven't been serviced in over a year! *gasp* smileys/smiley36.gif

I don't know, I guess....I'd be in heaven if Walmart had a used section. I try to barter at McDonalds I'm so cheap.

MEL-DC Diver
07-12-2007, 19:53
Most of the good ones are taken, so I'll say mask. Any piece of equipment that can catch a nasty fluid (in this case mucus) I am not interested in. And no, I don't care if it can be cleaned. It's the thought that counts, not that friggen' 99.9% cleanser. That .1% will get you every time.

awap
07-12-2007, 20:50
I can't think of any scuba gear that I would not consider buying used. My favorite regs are all old Scubapro metals that I picked up used at great prices. I do have a couple things I bought newbut not because I would not have bought them used if they were available at a good price. Think about it - the air you breath and the water your drink are USED.

MEL-DC Diver
07-12-2007, 20:59
Think about it - the air you breath and the water your drink are USED.

Wow, what a reach. If you go that far then everything on earth is used.

Cichlid
07-12-2007, 21:33
My wetsuit is used, and I would have no problem selling it. Keeps me warm and I pee in it. I'll tell that to whomever buys it :) I also wash all of my gear well.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Lol, never thought of the pee factor. At least you're honest! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What about a reg from ebay? Are you guys that are ok with buying a used reg ok with buying something used online? I guess that's a good question for any piece of scuba gear, how important is it for you to inspect in it person before buying?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Maxflattop
07-12-2007, 21:39
The important part with a reg would be to make sure to get a good enough deal you can afford to have it serviced by a PROBEFORE you use it. You don't need it letting you down at the wrong moment!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Max</DIV>

awap
07-12-2007, 21:47
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What about a reg from ebay? Are you guys that are ok with buying a used reg ok with buying something used online? I guess that's a good question for any piece of scuba gear, how important is it for you to inspect in it person before buying?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've bought at least acouple dozen scuba regulators (stages) and have never had one I could not return to service. I bought a lot of 3 really ugly looking Scubapro metals for $15 (including shipping) expecting to get one working and then have some spare parts. It took some serious cleaning work and mostly new soft parts, but they are all divable. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
But even a good looking used reg may have serious problems that may not be repairable if parts are no longer available. It is not risk free. One way to reduce the risks with a used reg is to buy from a dive shop with some type of performance warrenty</DIV>

cummings66
07-13-2007, 08:39
I'd buy a used reg, it can easily be repaired.

frankc420
07-13-2007, 10:02
I've purchased a used hoodvest, but I would never buy a used wetsuit. I figured the hoodvest would be so bad, considering it wasn't directly on the pee area. Although the hoodvest was either never used or only used a few times, I can't remember right now! :)

dutch552
07-13-2007, 10:30
Wetsuit...urine...'nuff said!

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:55
oh yeah...

mouthpiece?

:-/

the gooch
07-14-2007, 15:42
I would never buy a used wet suit or booties now that someone mentioned it, everyone pees in their wet suit. If they say they don't they are lying.

WalkinPaul
07-14-2007, 23:28
I have 3 used regulators. All have been serviced and all work great. All have new mouthpieces on them too. I have found 4 or 5 masks in my life and I have either used them or given them away to people that still use them. I found my first mask in Surfside about 1968 and was the coolest thing I ever had. I was 5. I found the snorkel I use now, attached to a mask, in about 20' of water in Kawaii. Rubbing alcohol will kill about anything. My best friends son loves the mask. Most things I buy new, somethings I buy used, some things I find and they still get used that way. A wet suit must fit right, so I recommend new. Plus, they are pretty much disposable, you wear them for a couple of years and then chunk the stinking things. I usually pursue new, unless a good deal on something used falls in my lap. I used to go almost totally used for everything. I was poor, what can I say, I've rebuilt a few engines here and there too, I now can afford nice new stuff, and I go with that, but that doesn't mean if something really cool used showed up I would turn it down.

DirtyWaterIL
07-15-2007, 08:01
I would buy anything used but it depends on the condition and price of the item. The wetsuit thing doesnt bother me because Ive worn rental gear before and didn't get cooties when I took it off.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 20:26
i bought a used air 2 looked like new perfect shape took to dive shop and found out whole inside coating was eaten off by salt water 100 bucks wasted ... i say bight the bullett and by atleast new regs...maybe used tanks fins mask etc ... but not something your life depends on...may just be me

awap
07-16-2007, 20:52
i bought a used air 2 looked like new perfect shape took to dive shop and found out whole inside coating was eaten off by salt water 100 bucks wasted ... i say bight the bullett and by atleast new regs...maybe used tanks fins mask etc ... but not something your life depends on...may just be me
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Are you sure your shop did not just take you for a ride??? I'd be suspicious.The housing and inlet tube are chrome plated brass but even with all the chrome plating gone, it should still be repairable.Did they offer to throw it away for you so you would not have toother. I'm onlya DIYer but I've seen some pretty nasty regs and still have not found on that could not be fixed. I've got some older scubapro Mk5s with metal 2nds that have more brass than chrome and they still work fine.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'd look around for another shop/tech. </DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 21:58
that was the problem all the chrome was off but i doubted them too so i went ahead and had service for 28.00 and sure nuff they have a slow leak so i then took them to another dive shop and they said the same thing . this shop said i could replace something inside but i have already spent 100 for the air 2 and 28 to service so just ended up buying new ones ...i still have though if ya know any one intrested...thanks for the advice though....but i always get a 2nd look at things

awap
07-16-2007, 22:33
Well, there is always a risk in used gear. That's why the price should be very favorable. With $128 into it, you might want to find out how much more to make it servicable before you just give up. I assume they are talking a new orifice which should not to too expensive for the part. But labor is always a crap shoot. It is probably a15 to 20 minute job.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 22:58
yeah they get you on labor i went ahead and bought the new zeagle and the other is the old zeagle and like u say w 128 invested i probaley will get fixed for a back up