View Full Version : aluminum or steel?

08-25-2007, 17:37
I bought a regulator from Scuba Toys, I assumed is Yoke valve. Do i have to change valves if i get HP tanks? Seems like steel is better, but not sure yet. Were can I get Steel 100 at a low price?

08-25-2007, 17:48
Here are a few posts to read through. Steel is expensive and hard to find cheap unless you buy used. Al80's are most common and you usually will get a nice fill with them.


Valve discussion

Similar question (I think it gets there)

Steel size

I think these are the threads i intended. you could also search
HP, LP or steel tank to see more opinions.

Happy diving!

PS Welcome to ST!!

08-25-2007, 17:55
If your regulator has a screw for the end that goes in a tank it's DIN, otherwise if it's a clamp type it's yoke.

If your regulator is a yoke type and you get a 3500 psi tank you will need to convert the regulator to DIN. If you get the HP3442 tanks then they have both types on one valve, you can screw out the insert to make it DIN or leave it in for Yoke.

The valve by the way is on the tank and you can get the valve I'm talking about on any tank, but it costs extra. ST's will do something like a $25 upgrade fee for that style.

For my tanks I have steel and DIN, don't want yoke. It depends on your diving. My technical instructor told me when I take the class I MUST have DIN regs and tank valves, Yoke isn't allowed.