PDA

View Full Version : collecting lures

Darthwader
06-24-2009, 10:30
while diving off the peir here in Esky, I was struck by all the new, expensive looking lures tangled on the remnants of the Nahant (our local wreck). I left 'em alone because I really didn't want to deal with exposed fish hooks during my dive.

does anyone have any tips or trick on collecting/gathering these little tressures when they encounter them?

ScottW
06-24-2009, 14:29
I used to cut the line and 'leave r lay' or stick the hook on a piece of 1/4" rope I carried. Depending on the size of the hooks on the lure you could always use a 'keep it safe' box.
Keep It Safe Waterproof Box reviews and discounts, Witz (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=KeepItSafe)
or a canister
OMS Water Proof Canister reviews and discounts, OMS (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OMS_Water_Proof_Canister)
to keep from getting poked.

nrembis
06-24-2009, 14:41
I used to cut the line and 'leave r lay' or stick the hook on a piece of 1/4" rope I carried. Depending on the size of the hooks on the lure you could always use a 'keep it safe' box.
Keep It Safe Waterproof Box reviews and discounts, Witz (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=KeepItSafe)
or a canister
OMS Water Proof Canister reviews and discounts, OMS (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OMS_Water_Proof_Canister)
to keep from getting poked.

wow, that cannister is costly, but gave me an idea....the canister does not need to be waterproof for lures, so just go get a small length of sch40 2 1/2" PVC, 1 glue on cap, and one threaded cap end and make you a canister to whatever length you like, then drill a few holes in it to purge the water out on exit from water.

:)

tk trekers
06-24-2009, 15:03
As someone that used to do a LOT of fishing, not only are these lures expensive in some cases but they are getting more expensive. If they are actually stuck in a net or piece of rope, a good tug with some needle nose pliers should free them and then stick them in your case as Nick suggested. You could then keep them of course or resell them and make a nice profit for the few seconds it would take to retrieve them.

fire diver
06-24-2009, 16:02
Yep, thats what I would do. Retrieve em, clean em, and re-sell them to pay for diving!

Crimediver
06-24-2009, 17:32
I pick up a lot of lures and fishing sinkers. Sinkers are selling for .25 cents an ounce in my area right now. I have five gallon joint compound buckets full of sinkers. I often carry a 1/2 gallon milk jug for putting lures and weights in. Near the top of the jug opposite of the handle I cut a flap opening by making a three sided cut that allows me to shove a lure into the opening and then the flap closes back afterward. I used to use a plano minnow bucket that had a spring-loaded door on it but actually prefer the milk jug as when I am done diving and have a mess of lures in a big jumble I just cut open the milk jug to get the lures out.

mrmccoy
06-24-2009, 17:45
Never thought about collecting lures and re selling them. I always find lures while fishing but i just keep them and use them!

Darthwader
06-24-2009, 17:49
I pick up a lot of lures and fishing sinkers. Sinkers are selling for .25 cents an ounce in my area right now. I have five gallon joint compound buckets full of sinkers. I often carry a 1/2 gallon milk jug for putting lures and weights in. Near the top of the jug opposite of the handle I cut a flap opening by making a three sided cut that allows me to shove a lure into the opening and then the flap closes back afterward. I used to use a plano minnow bucket that had a spring-loaded door on it but actually prefer the milk jug as when I am done diving and have a mess of lures in a big jumble I just cut open the milk jug to get the lures out.
Gee Mr. Obvious, I never made the connection. . . that is an awesome idea!
I like the length of rope to set the hook into as well, but if I happen on some nice sinkers, I can just toss 'em in and continue my dive. how do you carry the jug?

hornet
06-24-2009, 19:39
I've always gone snorkeling in local fishing holes and add to my tackle box. (Most were probably mine to start with) But have always tossed them into the boat. Hadnít really thought how I was going to do this now that I will be staying under. I love the idea of the milk jug. I guess when the kids drain the next one it will need to be cleaned and tossed in the kit box. Thanks for the great idea.

crosseyed95
06-24-2009, 21:12
Milk jug with a big X cut in the side. Push the lure in and it stays out of the way.

crosseyed95
06-24-2009, 21:13
Guess I should have read the one post better. Suggestion already made.

Bad crosseyed

navyhmc
06-24-2009, 21:46

I like it! Great idea for a DIR. :smiley20: :smiley20: :smiley20:

underh2o
06-24-2009, 22:32
i dive in smith mountain lake alot around the docks . this could be a great side job:smiley20:

Crimediver
06-25-2009, 06:29
I like the length of rope to set the hook into as well, but if I happen on some nice sinkers, I can just toss 'em in and continue my dive. how do you carry the jug?

I just tote it by the handle. It is rare for me to pick up more than five pounds at a time. I just lug it around without too much trouble. Even when snorkeling it is not too hard to carry. I suppose if the opening of the jug was made lower down and the cap was on you could trap air inside to offset some of the weight, but it is not very cumbersome to swim with.

Darthwader
06-25-2009, 21:01

Bad crosseyed

That's alright Crosseyed.
Just don't go poaching my lures now that I gave away the location:smiley2:

Darthwader
06-25-2009, 21:02

I just tote it by the handle. It is rare for me to pick up more than five pounds at a time. I just lug it around without too much trouble. Even when snorkeling it is not too hard to carry. I suppose if the opening of the jug was made lower down and the cap was on you could trap air inside to offset some of the weight, but it is not very cumbersome to swim with.

I thought youd answer that way. That's not an optin for me, bot that alright, I figure I can get a snap link and just hook to a d ring.

crosseyed95
06-26-2009, 09:27

Bad crosseyed

That's alright Crosseyed.
Just don't go poaching my lures now that I gave away the location:smiley2:

You should have told me that on Wednesday.