PDA

View Full Version : AOW??

Scubling
06-24-2009, 10:59
My dad and I are thinking about getting Advanced Open Water certified.Im 13 so I would be Jr. and I was wondering what did you think was the hardest in the book and in the water.This would help lots!

fire diver
06-24-2009, 11:14
Since you are just starting our in Scuba, I think that AOW is a great idea. There are a lot of options to take with this class. Depending on the instructor, you may get to choose which ones you take.

I would say that NAV is probably the hardest in-water because it task-loads you with several things at the same time. It's not impossible, just requires you to do several things at the same time. It's also a GREAT class to have, you will learn a lot form it.

MSilvia
06-24-2009, 11:45
It's not really a very challenging course in my opinion. It gives you some great exposure to new kinds of dives, but they aren't really difficult. I agree that nav is probably the hardest part, and using a compass really isn't that tricky.

rayaa3
06-24-2009, 13:08
I don't know which agency you are planning on using - PADI doesn't have a very challenging course - a little bit of book work and skill checks (read and answer questions) - most of the focut of my AOW was on the dives...it's quite a bit of fun...the 'hardest' part was the navigation dive (compass work) however, it wasn't really hard...it was the only dive where we had any real 'chores' to do. Still - it was fun.

have a blast. Ray

PTAaron
06-24-2009, 14:20
I haven't done it yet - but talking with our instructor it sounds like it will be a lot of fun.
Navigating and doing patterns looks the most difficult just reading it in the book - but I used to do orienteering stuff on land so I don't think it will be bad.

Our also instructor mentioned practicing using a lift bag to send up objects and to reposition them which sounds like something that would be pretty useful!

Sansho
06-24-2009, 23:18
AOW is a great class to get dive time in with an instructor, typically in very small classes. It's perhaps not the most rigorous, but you can learn something and have fun doing it. I did AOW not long after completing OW, and I appreciated 5 more dives with an instructor.

underh2o
06-24-2009, 23:25
don't fear the monsters.Monster are thing that you are afraid of practice them and make them useful.. Some peoples monsters are compasses so after their training they don't use them again. Some are hoods so they won't wear one. Some are clearing a mask so they never practice. I just finished my UCI (underwater criminal investigator). we practiced alot of all things. when you get good at them there really isn't a problem or being hard to do. so practice, practice and prctice some more. we did compass on land fro several hours before hitting the water for it. but, AOW is a great oppurtunity fro some neat classes to take and learn.

navyhmc
06-24-2009, 23:52
Don't sweat the AOW. Think of it as a course to enhance the skills you learned in OW and to add more tools to your tool box. More navigation, a bit deeper, more info on gas management and exposure to some of the specialties such as deep, DPV, dry suit, etc. It will help you see what areas you need a little work on and what areas you definitely want to get into. Have fun, that's the most important thing.

Scubling
06-25-2009, 15:46
Yes if we do decide to do the AoW it will be with PADI

Scubling
06-25-2009, 15:48
And Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like lots of fun!

TRACI
06-25-2009, 16:15
The navagation was the most difficult for me. My compass and I do not get along. But I did enjoy doing the search patterns.

navyhmc
06-25-2009, 18:56
The biggest thing about uw nav it to learn to trust the compass. At times your brain will trick you, the magnetic forces of the planet pretty much stay true. That and practice! Take some time to work on the skills. Personally, I enjoy navigation and do courses for fun. A stable kick cycle is important too.

hornet
06-25-2009, 20:11
During the nav in my OW I had no trouble with following the directions on the compass back and forth but the number of kick were way off on my return. I really need practice on keeping them consistent. Up to this point I would kick because I wanted to move threw the water to get some ware and would do it quickly. Now I keep catching myself needing to slow my shelf down.

navyhmc
06-25-2009, 20:37
Slow and steady is your best kick-you don't increase your oxygen consumption as much and your kicks are more steady and even. You also avoid the chance of going in a circle as much as one leg is usually stronger than the other so you will pull to one side. The faster/harder you kick, the more prevalent the pull is.

Vlane
06-25-2009, 21:00
I'm in the middle of my AOW right now and so far i've done search and recovery, night dive, an peak performance buoyancy. I would definitely suggest PPB if you have that option as buoyancy makes a huge difference in your overall dive experience (i'm still working on mine). Night dive was more of a fun course than a learning experience, if anything just read the chapter. Good luck with your AOW though, i'm looking forward to finishing mine.

Jack Hammer
06-25-2009, 21:19
The compass wasn't too difficult for me in AOW because I had been using my compass while diving for a while prior to the class. You can go to something like a soccer field and pull a ballcap low on your face and put the compass up close to your face so you can't really see much but the grass beneath you, and try to go straight across only looking at the compass (don't lookup to see how you're doing, it defeats the purpose).

While navigating was easy for me, keeping an even kick for measuring was much more of a challenge. I'd never realized how much I had been switching up my kick cycles prior to it. The hardest part of the class for me though was learning the knots. I still suck at them, just couldn't keep them memorized. Just try to relax and have fun and don't worry too much, you'll do fine.

Jack

Recon
06-25-2009, 21:48
Compass can trick you no matter where you are, as what navy said is true, one leg is stronger then the other, over long distances, if you are right leg dominant you can stray from your intended target by miles, especially in the desert where there are very very very very very few reference points :), except hey, is that the dune, or is that the dune?

~Recon

mm2002
06-28-2009, 09:58
I think Peak Performance Buoyancy is an excellent one to include in your AOW (assuming you have a good instructor). Search and Recovery and Nav are also good to learn. All the rest are just OK.

Scubling
06-28-2009, 10:48
Sounds fun. I never knew just kicking your legs could make such a difference!

Scubling
06-30-2009, 08:36
looks like i need a new compass for this!

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 15:11
At least have a good medium quality compass, Scubling. Before you do buy, look at the compass and make sure it stays true when it's tilted a little. There are some that if you tilt it even a little, the arrow will move-I had one that if I didn't keep it perfectly level, it would veer offheading up to 30 degrees. All will lock up if they are tilted too far, but should not move when tilted.

mm2002
06-30-2009, 19:14
looks like i need a new compass for this!

Any old compass will do, as long as it works. Compasses aren't rocket science.

Scubling
07-01-2009, 11:34
well I dont even have one (=...so this will help me with choosing my compass thanks!

PTAaron
07-01-2009, 11:44
At least have a good medium quality compass, Scubling. Before you do buy, look at the compass and make sure it stays true when it's tilted a little. There are some that if you tilt it even a little, the arrow will move-I had one that if I didn't keep it perfectly level, it would veer offheading up to 30 degrees. All will lock up if they are tilted too far, but should not move when tilted.
...or it could be like the one our instructor provided during our OW class where the needles was simply frozen in one spot! Made it really easy to stay on the heading ;) LOL!

Scubling
07-01-2009, 12:26
...or it could be like the one our instructor provided during our OW class where the needles was simply frozen in one spot! Made it really easy to stay on the heading ;) LOL!

so wait...it didnt move?? that would be hard.

navyhmc
07-01-2009, 22:43

The good news: We're still on course. the bad news: We're now in antartica...:smiley36:

Diving Jayhawk
07-02-2009, 03:32
Suunto SK-7 compass. Period. No other compass on the market can compare. It will perform smoothly and accurately till around 30+/- tilt and comes wrist mounted, on a retractor, or as part of a console.

Scubling
07-02-2009, 11:23
how much does that usually cost

castiron
07-02-2009, 12:34
With AOW you are going to much greater depths, to those more experienced isn't there concerns about the effects of depth for minors and growth development?

My two daughters start their OW this week and from what I have read I don't think I want them anymore than 50' and not even there for long.

Jack Hammer
07-02-2009, 12:43
how much does that usually cost
Suunto SK7 runs around $65-85, depending on which model you get. I got the gauge mounted version (cheapest) then ran bungee through it to make it a wrist mount. Great compass, I'm very happy with it.

Jack

Scubling
07-02-2009, 17:42
Ok so thats around middle line im guessing...ive been doing some reserch and most i see are in the $50 rang

Jack Hammer
07-02-2009, 22:20
Ok so thats around middle line im guessing...ive been doing some reserch and most i see are in the $50 rang
~$50 sounds about right for most compasses. If you don't use it much there are many fine compasses out there. I use mine on most dives and am glad I ponied up for the Sunnto. I've seen the SK7's on sale for ~$60 sometimes but usually they cost more. You have to keep your eyes out.

Jack

Scubling
07-03-2009, 08:18
Ok. Well I dont usually use my compass(I dont have one and I never go to far) so we may be renting one.Is that a good idea?

Jack Hammer
07-03-2009, 11:30
Ok. Well I dont usually use my compass(I dont have one and I never go to far) so we may be renting one.Is that a good idea?
I usually just look at how many rentals would equal me just buying it vs how often I'd use it (and factor in convenience/inconvenience). I use mine on almost all dives, just a quick glance to check direction.

Jack

gbrdiver
07-07-2009, 04:59
My son recently turned 15. He flashed his Jr AOW card recently and was told that the depth limitations still applied until he paid PADI for a new card. Is this a change? 3 years ago when he got certified he was definetly told that the Jr AOW automaticaly had the restrictions lifted when turning 15 years.

mm2002
07-07-2009, 19:05
My son recently turned 15. He flashed his Jr AOW card recently and was told that the depth limitations still applied until he paid PADI for a new card. Is this a change? 3 years ago when he got certified he was definetly told that the Jr AOW automaticaly had the restrictions lifted when turning 15 years.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that he'd at least have to do some pool work to have the restrictions lifted. I'm not certain on this, but let's face it, safety is #1. If he's a competent diver, and can show that to an instructor, then he can go on and pursue diving from there. An important part of young divers is the physiology itself, and that is still being researched. I think that's where the gray area lies.

gbrdiver
07-07-2009, 20:00
The Jnr Open Water and AOW are the same course as the adult OW/AOW...no difference. The issue we have is the wording on the card has a 21m depth restriction. At the time he was certified, the instructor made it clear that the limitations automatically get removed at 15. The interpretation given to us by another dive instructor last week agrees that the new card will be issued without any other requirement apart from giving PADI more money for a new card. My question is who is correct?

Scubling
07-11-2009, 13:15
From PADI website-
To order by mail, download the replacement card form (PDF) and mail it along with your photo and a $35 US processing fee to:

You may also need to order a replacement card, by mail if:

You've changed your name (include a copy of legal documentation). *
You are upgrading from any PADI Junior Diver certification. *

So yes you do unfourtinally have to pay..For more info go to
Scuba Certification Cards (Americas) (http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-certification-cards/scuba-certification-cards-americas/)

gbrdiver
07-26-2009, 02:23
Yeah...we've cut our losses and sent off our money for a new card. His certifying instructor is adamant it is not required - and I agree with his interpretation, but it will end any future conflicts.

Scubling
07-27-2009, 19:39
well I just passed my AOW and bought the project AWARE card for $10 extra. I think it was a good deal cuz it goes to a good cause

TRiggER2117
07-30-2009, 10:52
I took my OW and EANx classes with NAUI and im starting the AOW class now with NAUI and i already have the books and honestly to me the hardest of all that ive taken is the EANx (Nitrox) class just because of all of the tables the AOW class seems like probably the easiest (just in my opinion)

you should takle it though it seems like itll be a lot of fun. I take my first AOW class in a few weeks :)

Jack Hammer
07-30-2009, 15:27
well I just passed my AOW and bought the project AWARE card for $10 extra. I think it was a good deal cuz it goes to a good cause
Congratulations. Hope you enjoyed the class.

Jack

Scubling
07-30-2009, 18:53
thanx it was fun

cgvmer
07-31-2009, 14:29
My son and I did OW when he was 13 and waited till 15 to do AOW, just to get some dives under out belt. We decided when we did AOW we would go right into Rescue. We both agreed the rescue portion was both hardest and best course of the 3 ( other than the wow this is new feeling from OW) so you may want to look at working up to Rescue. It's alot of work but you learn alot. you need to strong in the water .