PDA

View Full Version : Dive books

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 20:02
I've been exploring books on Amazon about diving adventures.

What are your favorites?

FishFood
08-25-2007, 20:06
"The Last Dive" for sure :)

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 20:38

it looks good. I ordered Robert Kurson's, "Shadow Divers" instead. I think it's about the same event.

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 21:49
I like clive cussler's books with dirk pitt. They usually involve diving.

Liv7301
08-25-2007, 21:59
I just started Deep Descent and have been really enjoying it so far. I am also really interested in wrecks...when I was little I had a small Titanic obsession started by seeing it featured in a 80's issue of National Geographic.

Vercingetorix
08-26-2007, 00:08
I just started Deep Descent and have been really enjoying it so far. I am also really interested in wrecks...when I was little I had a small Titanic obsession started by seeing it featured in a 80's issue of National Geographic.Then you'll want to start saving your pennies to dive the Britannic, the Titannic's sister ship. It's sunk in the Agean I believe. I saw a show about divers who dove on it.

Using rebreathers, they were on the wreck (very well preserved, unlike Titannic) for 30 minutes. Deco stops were a total of 5 hours (at least that's what I understood).

FishFood
08-26-2007, 00:41

it looks good. I ordered Robert Kurson's, "Shadow Divers" instead. I think it's about the same event.

They do interlap some. If i remember correctly Chatterton is one of the divers that found the captians log book of the U boat that the Rouses (two main people in "the last dive") died at?

Let us know how it goes. I was interested in reading that as well.

JCAT
08-26-2007, 06:50
Rouses (two main people in "the last dive") died at?Reading about the events and deaths of Chris and Chrissie Rouse in this book had MORE of an impact on my safety then any class I've taken.

The descriptions are horrific to me and I can't imagine the pain they felt. However, their tragic deaths serve as a reminder.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who dives.

JugglingMonkeys
08-26-2007, 06:56
Rouses (two main people in "the last dive") died at?Reading about the events and deaths of Chris and Chrissie Rouse in this book had MORE of an impact on my safety then any class I've taken.

The descriptions are horrific to me and I can't imagine the pain they felt. However, their tragic deaths serve as a reminder.

it's a deal. i'd better get it!

tonka97
08-26-2007, 08:17

The reader that cares about veracity is advised to take the accounts provided in The Last Dive and Shadow Divers with a grain (boulder?) of salt.

There are substantive differences of pertinent facts as depicted in the two books.:smiley13:

There are numerous significant fallacies/untruths in both, and a serious reader should read Gary Gentile's Shadow Divers Exposed.:smiley23:

I will not participate in a flame war...just be aware and don't swallow fiction as 'truth'. If a reader wants specifics, then he should read Shadow Divers Exposed first, then proceed to the other two and make up her own mind.:smiley2:

All 3 books are enjoyable....the objectionable aspect is that 2 of these 3 are listed classified as NON-Fiction.:smiley29:

DivingsInMyBlood
08-26-2007, 08:30
shadow divers

FishFood
08-26-2007, 08:33
Really?!? ^^ Could you list some things that are objectionable? That's dissapointing.

JugglingMonkeys
08-26-2007, 14:24
yes, please do mention some specifics.

are they major issues or minor ones?

thanks for the heads up...

RaginCajun
08-26-2007, 14:42
Ned Deloaches, A Guide to Underwater Florida

JCAT
08-26-2007, 15:29

The reader that cares about veracity is advised to take the accounts provided in The Last Dive and Shadow Divers with a grain (boulder?) of salt.

There are substantive differences of pertinent facts as depicted in the two books.:smiley13:

There are numerous significant fallacies/untruths in both, and a serious reader should read Gary Gentile's Shadow Divers Exposed.:smiley23:

I will not participate in a flame war...just be aware and don't swallow fiction as 'truth'. If a reader wants specifics, then he should read Shadow Divers Exposed first, then proceed to the other two and make up her own mind.:smiley2:

All 3 books are enjoyable....the objectionable aspect is that 2 of these 3 are listed classified as NON-Fiction.:smiley29:

Chris and Chrissie Rouse died. There are many contributing factors that caused their deaths, some known, some unknown, and lots of speculation.

The manner in which they died and the description in the book is horrific.

How did it make me a SAFER diver? Simply put, I don't want to die from extreme decompression or any other DCS for that matter. So, I continually study accidents, specifically those involving DCS and what it does to the human body.

Chris and Chrissie Rouse are dead because they shot to the surface from 220'+fsw.

What part of that fact is in dispute?

dmdoss
08-26-2007, 22:01
I thought Deep Diving by Bret Gilliam was a good book.