PDA

View Full Version : New Ranger LTD: small problem

openhelix
06-28-2009, 22:21
Decided to christen my new ranger ltd in Monterey this weekend. I came up from my 2 dives on Sat to find the mid-pad velcro adhesive had come off. This is the small 3"x1" or so pad in the middle of the shoulder strap. It's connected by 2 velcro pieces to the plastic buckle. The adhesive on the velcro came off.

Not a huge deal, but it did hold the pad in place when donning my gear. Is the fix as simple as getting a new piece of adhesive velcro? Scott, any help?

JCM
06-28-2009, 22:25
Same thing happened on my Brigade. I think most people just go on without the velcro. It doesn't seem to serve any real purpose anyways.

Recon
06-28-2009, 22:30
There is a box of velcro that you can get from wal-mart for like 5 to 10 bucks, it is the industrial strength stuff, 2 inch wide.... this stuff is VERY strong... I use it for tons of stuff, and I have NEVER had a problem with it... as a matter of fact, I will be posting a DIY project that I did this weekend and related photos here within an hour or so...

~Recon

DevilDiver
06-28-2009, 23:04
PM Scott with Zeagle, he is on this forum. I am sure he can help you out, or call ST and I am sure they can help you out as well.

Mtrewyn
06-29-2009, 18:51
I had this happen to mine, I just pulled it off, and went on, did not really need it, but it was nice when it was on there, I wondered if the wal-mart stuff would work, may be replacing mine.

openhelix
06-30-2009, 01:00
Hmm, wonder if Scott will post up as this seems to be a rather common issue. If I have to resort to PM and find a solution I'll be sure to share.

ScubaCaveman
06-30-2009, 06:30
Decided to christen my new ranger ltd in Monterey this weekend. I came up from my 2 dives on Sat to find the mid-pad velcro adhesive had come off. This is the small 3"x1" or so pad in the middle of the shoulder strap. It's connected by 2 velcro pieces to the plastic buckle. The adhesive on the velcro came off.

Not a huge deal, but it did hold the pad in place when donning my gear. Is the fix as simple as getting a new piece of adhesive velcro? Scott, any help?

What area are you referring to? I have a Ranger LTD as well and I can't for the life of me picture what you are talking about? I just want to check mine out.

JCM
06-30-2009, 06:42
I was under the impression that he was talking about the velcro here. My brigade is pictured but I am guessing that they would have velcro on similar points.

scubagirlj
06-30-2009, 06:46
just checked mine and sure enough, they have pulled loose-thinking of getting that fabric bonder that Billy Mays touted to reattach them

ScubaCaveman
06-30-2009, 08:41
I was under the impression that he was talking about the velcro here. My brigade is pictured but I am guessing that they would have velcro on similar points.

Ahhh...that's why I didn't get it. I have a 2009 LTD - I don't think it has those.

DevilDiver
06-30-2009, 08:44
Why would you need a piece of velcro on the back of the clip? Am I looking at this wrong?

JCM
06-30-2009, 09:45
Why would you need a piece of velcro on the back of the clip? Am I looking at this wrong?

You are looking at it correctly. The placement didn't really make any sense to me either. The clip is held in place by the strap which is held in place against your chest.

pafindr
06-30-2009, 10:08
Same thing happened to my Concept.
After a few dives they came right off and I never fixed them.
I never noticed it causing an issue and have about 800 dives with it.

ScottZeagle
06-30-2009, 10:27
The velcro was originally put there to help hold the shoulder buckle in place.

Was it ever really NEEDED?? Probably not.

On some BCs, that velcro stays stuck on forever, and on other BCs it falls off after one dive.

We have told the factory to simply stop putting it on there, so in the future you won't see it, nor have these issues!!

For those of you who have the velcro peeling off, fear not - it will not affect the performance in any way!!

Sorry for the hassle...

Scott

openhelix
07-01-2009, 14:39
For those curious, I also have the 2009 model. Here is what I was talking about. There is a velcro square on the back of this buckle. While not essential, it is kinda nice for keeping the pad in place while donning gear.