PDA

View Full Version : Lift Bags two 50's or one 100?

Cichlid
08-25-2007, 22:34
Which would you rather dive with? Does it even matter?

terrillja
08-25-2007, 23:45
Which would you rather dive with? Does it even matter?

Depends on your style of lift bag, if it is just an open bottom with no dump, 2 50s should work, but if you are using bags with dumps, it would be easier to operate a single dump valve. I would personally recommend 2 50s because they would be smaller to stow away, but if you have lots of space in a pocket, a single 100 would work. Personally I don't use float bags too much, instead I use a piece of PVC pipe with an eye bolt on the end, attached to 100' of parachute cord, because in most cases it is easiest for me to attach the pvc float and then descend, tie a line, and retrieve the object from the surface. Also, if you lose the object mid-lift with a bag or line, but have a float still attached, you can easily find it and lift again. My floats are just 2" pipe, about 6" end to end, with a SS screw and carabiner on one end. The parachute cord is wrapped around, and when the line is deployed, the float just spins and lets the line out as it ascends.

For the light salvage I have done so far (chains, tires), a rope from the surface has been sufficient, and far less expensive than a quality lift bag.

Unfortunately my scuba diving season is done for now, since I just had surgery on my shoulder thursday, but i'm hoping to dive over thanksgiving.

tnfireman
08-25-2007, 23:53
I would think the single 100# bag. My reasoning is one bag will be easier to control than two.
Hopefully someone with more experience than me will give you a better answer.

gtjason2000
08-26-2007, 08:47
I would say the 100# because you can fill it halfway and its a 50. My wife however said 2 50's in the case you find 2 thingies (and by thingies she meant outboard motors).

awap
08-26-2007, 10:30
What were you planning on lifting? It is easier to control 1 bag than 2. I have never had to lift anything,yet, that my 50 lb bag/DSMB could not handle. I guess I'll go for a larger bag if I run into something my 50 can't handle.

Cichlid
08-26-2007, 19:27
What were you planning on lifting? It is easier to control 1 bag than 2. I have never had to lift anything,yet, that my 50 lb bag/DSMB could not handle. I guess I'll go for a larger bag if I run into something my 50 can't handle.

I wasn't planning on lifting anything yet. I was just curious if any of you out of experience realized that two were better than one. The control of them suggests that one is probably better, but that's why I asked! :smiley20:

terrillja
08-26-2007, 19:35

I wasn't planning on lifting anything yet. I was just curious if any of you out of experience realized that two were better than one. The control of them suggests that one is probably better, but that's why I asked! :smiley20:

Well if you happen to find a treasure chest, I will be willing to come and operate the second lift bag, provided that I get some of the treasure.

wxboy911
08-27-2007, 07:33
It may depend mostly on how much room you have to carry the bag? I like my 50 but have never found any tresure yet...I like having the dump valve for ease of use though.

mike_s
08-27-2007, 15:24
Actually on really light items, a 100 pound bag might be "too big".

I don't mean on lift capacity, but on where the dump valve is.

For example, if I wanted to lift a 15 pound anchor I found, and all I had was a 100 pound bag, it would take very little air in the bag to lift the anchor. However, this very little amount of air might be enough to go down to the dump valve, making it hard to exhaust/dump air if it became too bouyant.

Never fear though because I've gotten 15 pound achors "floated" before with just my SMB. still didn't take much air in that either.

just something to think about.

No Misses
08-27-2007, 15:48
I would go with one 50, unless you are in the salvage business, there is little need for 100 lbs of lift.

Great! now that I have said that, one of my outboards is going to fall off next weekend.