PDA

View Full Version : Forum is diffrent.

Mtrewyn
06-29-2009, 18:13
I have not been on here much latley, and now that I have come back, I don't know how I feel about it.:smiley5:

Seems like a of comments are "Smart" and not real helpful, the "old timers" you know who you are, are still great, but some of the "younger" guys...well...

has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

When I first joined this forum, it was always friendly, supportive, and well thought out, maybe I'm just out of the loop a little.

I really hope ST is not going the way of SB that would SU@%!!!

scubastud
06-29-2009, 18:21
Not sure what ya mean by "smart"..like smart alek or smarta**?
I see a few people goofing around in the proper forums (jokes, man's/women's laws, surface interval).. but not really a lot of nastieness like "that other forum"

bennerman
06-29-2009, 18:39
Surely you are not talking about me... but as I have noted before, I am trying to improve. I hope everyone has noticed :)

Mtrewyn
06-29-2009, 18:46
Its not too bad, but not the same... Their are "good" and "bad" posts, more "good" than "bad" I would just hope that people can leave the "bad" ones some place else.

Like I said I like it here, I learn tons, have good times and will keep learning from here, but things are just not the same.

IndyDiver
06-29-2009, 18:49
I have not been on here much latley, and now that I have come back, I don't know how I feel about it.:smiley5:

Seems like a of comments are "Smart" and not real helpful, the "old timers" you know who you are, are still great, but some of the "younger" guys...well...

When I first joined this forum, it was always friendly, supportive, and well thought out, maybe I'm just out of the loop a little.

No, I think its just you. What's it to you anyway, huh?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that.:smiley_evilGrin:

Seriously, I don't think ST is in any danger of turning into SB. I have yet to see much judgemental posting and flaming here on this board, and I think everyone is still friendly and helpful when someone has a question or problem. There still a lot of questions where the OP ends the thread with "Thanks, you guys are great."

What I have seen over the last year is that the board is becomming a social site as well as a dive site. There are a lot of posts that are off the topic of diving and are just members joking around and having a good time together. Whether that is a good thing or not is really related to what each person is looking for out of the board.

Bert
06-29-2009, 19:04
Also unlike some other forms the regulars with 1000's of post are quick to call out thous who are getting out of line.

wwdiver
06-29-2009, 19:39
I'm new to both but I see a big difference in the two. Most of the people on here seem pretty respectful in a disagreement and seem to want to learn from the others point of view.

fire diver
06-29-2009, 20:19
I think it maybe "feels" different becuase of the age of the board. Some of the old, original members have either stopped coming, or stopped commenting. There are a lot of new members lately (as always). Different plaers, different feel of the board. I know that it's different since I was posting from Iraq last year. Change is the only constant in this life.

I don't see this board as trollish or mean, unlike other boards. Just different.

Bigg_Budd
06-29-2009, 20:30
I've noticed. I also used to get a kick outta using the LiveChat, but that thing is a dead zone...

BubblesMcCoy
06-30-2009, 09:05
I've only been on here a few months, but since the summer started it does seem to be a bit different. I figured that it was because more people were on dive trips or on vacations away from their computers. Will be interested to see whether it picks back up in the fall.

Foo2
06-30-2009, 14:29
I know what you mean. The "feel" is a little different. We just have to keep doing what we've been doing for nearly 2 years. (Holy crap! It's been nearly 2 years!) Like fire diver said, some people are no longer contributing and we've gained new people over time. That will change things up a little. I really feel what makes this forum work is the "self policing" that goes on. We have over 15k members and only a handful of mods cause our members take action and work together. Now that being said, you can self police with tact.

As for live chat...let's set up a time for everyone to meet! I miss it too!

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 15:05
You are correct about the posting during the summer. You can tell who's diving and who's not by who is posting...I'm unfortunately in the latter category. :smiley19:

In all honesty, I really haven't noticed a big change. A lot of great photos are posted, there are still very good threads, new divers still ask questions and get polite answers, old guy still get picked on for being the old guys, really not a whole lot of change to me.

IndyDiver
06-30-2009, 16:10
There have been a lot of new people posting that have joined since the beginning of the year. But on the flip side, I did a search of members with over 750 posts and there were only a handful of people in that category that haven't logged in in the past few days. So, it looks like the long term members are still plenty active too.

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 16:37
I wonder how many folks got enough posts over 250 to get the gift certificate and then left?

fire diver
06-30-2009, 16:42
I wonder how many folks got enough posts over 250 to get the gift certificate and then left?

I think I could name a few who have done exactly that. AND made those 250 posts in about a weeks time. :smiley21:

bennerman
06-30-2009, 16:48

I think I could name a few who have done exactly that. AND made those 250 posts in about a weeks time. :smiley21:

Half of that statement is right about me. But as you can see by my continued poosting habits, I just post alot

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 16:52

But in those cases, are we better off with or without them?

No matter what, I think that the forum is still a great place. a lot of good folks-I've not been disappointed yet in any that I've met and the fact that there have been gatherings where a lot of folks have gotten together and dove is nothing but a good thing in my mind.

DevilDiver
06-30-2009, 16:55

Half of that statement is right about me. But as you can see by my continued poosting habits, I just post alot

Maybe you should slow down a little and take it easy. You don't want to suffer from premature post-aculation. :smiley36:

bennerman
06-30-2009, 17:01

Maybe you should slow down a little and take it easy. You don't want to suffer from premature post-aculation. :smiley36:

I am giggling right now half because of this, and half because "Momma's Got a Squeezebox" just came on :p

Mtrewyn
06-30-2009, 17:29
It might be the loss of some of the old guys, and maybe it is that I have been gone for a while, but I still would much rather be here than the other!!

MUCH more respect, just does not feel the same.

I'll give it more time it seems, like I may have jumped the gun a little, a little.

Splitlip
06-30-2009, 20:08

Been discussed before ad nauseum.

Do a search.

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 20:30
Personally, I try to be cordial and friendly to any and all. So far, I have had a few debates with a number of folks, but they have always been polite and we can agree to disagree agreeably. Which is the way I like it. without some debate or exchane of opposing views, this would be a boring forum.

As of now, I have only one person on my ignore list, and I am a little uncomfortable with that-I will not name names.

I am pretty sure that ST will never become SB. A while back, a few folks had an issue with a thread started by a member and after too many poor comments, that thread was locked and removed. I foudn myself at that time hoping my posts in that thread were not part of the cause. Larry sent a polite pm to all who had posted in it and that was that. With that type of polite but miminal oversight, I don't think that the forum will go too far off plumb.

Lulubelle
06-30-2009, 21:40
Yes indeed it is. Anytime the mix changes the whole dynamic changes. Still a good source of information.

skdvr
07-01-2009, 07:23
I definately do not post as much now as I use to. I also did not have twin boys 8 months ago. Most of the questions that I feel I can contribute to are already answered by the time I log on here, and get to them. I am still on pretty much every day, just not for as long at a time. I guess I have noticed only a slight change from the way the forum was 2 years ago, but then again there are a LOT more people on here than there was back then. The more members you have the larger the change of some bad apples. 1% of 500 members is a lot less than 1% of 17,000 members. All and all I still enjoy it in this forum and feel plenty comfortable to come here and ask any question that I may have, and try to help out where I can...

Phil

PTAaron
07-01-2009, 07:28
Being new to the forum I have no real idea what the "old days" were like - but I have to say that this forum has a much friendlier feel to it than SB. I was poking around over there last night when I couldn't fall asleep and it is hard to believe how many rude know-it-alls with God complexes are posting over there! It is SAD that there has to be a special area designated as the "be nice to people that ask questions here" section!!

scubastud
07-01-2009, 08:20
Personally I think the forum has improved a lot since I joined....
:)

unclepooty
07-01-2009, 10:09

:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36: funny
BTW yours was funny too Tim

cummings66
07-01-2009, 18:37
I look at a few sub forums mostly and post there when a new topic comes up. I don't feel the need to reply to every post out there, but when I think I can add something of value then I hit post and do that.

Ive been busy this year, unfortunately it's not been all diving like I wish it was. Still, I've managed to get in dives here and there.

Splitlip
07-01-2009, 18:47

:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36: funny
BTW yours was funny too Tim

Thank G**, you knew I was joking. I was beginning to wonder.:smiley36:

Travelnsj
07-01-2009, 20:12
I do not find the forum has changed that much....probably not involved in as many threads as i used to be because the topics have been covered a time or two...just a couple of OLD TIMERS ( one from CO and another from Utah) usually get on my threads or threads i have posted to and make condensing comments or attempt to Flame me...they have even gone as far as using my Pic as their Avatar...is there a report button?:smiley36:...its all good fun:smiley20:

chinacat46
07-01-2009, 20:27
I do not find the forum has changed that much....probably not involved in as many threads as i used to be because the topics have been covered a time or two...just a couple of OLD TIMERS ( one from CO and another from Utah) usually get on my threads or threads i have posted to and make condensing comments or attempt to Flame me...they have even gone as far as using my Pic as their Avatar...is there a report button?:smiley36:...its all good fun:smiley20:

Who would do a thing like that? :smilie39:

thor
07-01-2009, 22:03
I noticed a slight change, but I just thought that might have been due to the novelty wearing off. Still the same great place. I have actually found myself posting more on SB these days, just b/c more of my local divers seem to be over there. Not really many local NE divers on this forum, but hopefully it will grow. I have good friends on both forums.

BubblesMcCoy
07-02-2009, 08:41
Being new to the forum I have no real idea what the "old days" were like - but I have to say that this forum has a much friendlier feel to it than SB. I was poking around over there last night when I couldn't fall asleep and it is hard to believe how many rude know-it-alls with God complexes are posting over there! It is SAD that there has to be a special area designated as the "be nice to people that ask questions here" section!!

"God Complex." You hit it right on. :smiley32:

DMWiz
07-02-2009, 10:09
Been discussed before ad nauseum.
Do a search.

THAT IS FUNNY!!!:smiley20:

Miked
07-08-2009, 18:07
Just an observation: some years ago, SB was "the new kid on the block" and after a while, people began commenting that "it's not like it used to be", but also adding that "thank god it is not as bad as rec.scuba(?)"
things seem to go in cycles.
FWIW, I have also noted the changes, not just in SB, but here as well.
they seem to be in keeping with the changing "cast of characters" as well as the changing times.

reeldive
07-09-2009, 21:38
It's all good! diveing and loveing it! thats what this forum is all about. I'm an old fart but I've learned a lot here and most important - it's fun!

SugarInWater
07-11-2009, 08:50
Hate to do this, but I'm trying to find out if my pic is set up properly.

cutter77
07-19-2010, 16:25
I really like the new forum format..........nice job ST!

Over the years, the folks around here have saved me a lot of:
- money
- mistakes
- time

IrishSquid
07-19-2010, 19:43
It's been awhile since I've been here. It still seems all good to me. I've been rubbing elbows with the "Gods" over on the other site and came back to visit after seeing a post by SplitLip on a ridiculous thread (Long Hose use forbidden by a dive club). I almost forgot how much I enjoy this forum also. :smiley20:

IrishSquid
07-19-2010, 19:47
Post 500! Couldn't let that one slip away! :smiley2:

navyhmc
07-19-2010, 20:29
Irish Squid!!! How ya been? Where ya been?????

IrishSquid
07-19-2010, 20:36
Irish Squid!!! How ya been? Where ya been?????
Been doing good. Hanging out in the hometown, diving the local quarry and river. Work has picked up to nearly the levels of a couple years back and we are taking full advantage of it. (Never know when it'll go down the crapper again) Thought I would stop back in here and catch up. I need to stick around and not stay gone so long this time around.

navyhmc
07-19-2010, 20:42
Absolutely! Glad you're getting some dives and doing good.

jans
07-20-2010, 08:34
I am new to the forum but have to say that I have learned so much in just a few weeks. I have had so many questions answered, whether in response to my post or just by searching old threads. I have purchased several items on recommendations from forum members. This alone has saved me money and research time. It is so great to have a place to go with questions or concerns and know I will get honest, informed replies.Thanks to all of you for making me feel welcome.

I really like the new forum format..........nice job ST!

Over the years, the folks around here have saved me a lot of:
- money
- mistakes
- time