PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Awards - spearfishing for giant groupers

bversteegh
08-25-2007, 22:39
(September 2006, Florida) A fearsome mythical giant was felled by a humble slingshot. But a modern speargun vs. an underwater leviathan is another tale altogether, as a Florida man discovered.

Outlawed in 1990, hunting Goliath-sized groupers remains surprisingly popular. These fish can weigh hundreds of pounds, yet there are underwater hunters who choose to tether themselves to such muscular sea creatures. However unlikely a pursuit, the poaching of groupers by divers and snorkelers continues, in defiance of both the law and common sense.
Of this elite group, our Darwin Award winner distinguished himself yet further by disregarding one essential spearfishing precaution. By embarking on this hunt without a knife to cut himself loose, the "fit and experienced snorkeler" was guaranteeing that his next attack on a giant grouper would be his last.
Why anyone thinks it's a good idea to tether yourself to a fish twice your size, I don't know. Some time later, the body of the spearfisher was found pinned to the coral, 17 feet underwater. Three coils of line were wrapped around his wrist, and one very dead grouper was impaled at the other end of the line. In those final hours, the tables were turned, and the fish was given an opportunity to reflect on the experience of "catching a person."

This was one of the top 10 2006 Darwin awards - too bad about the grouper........

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 22:44
good thing it was a snorkler and not quite the embarrasement to divers

cgvmer
08-25-2007, 22:52
Against the law because they have been hunted to the point of losing half the know spawning areas.

The grouper's win one

thesmoothdome
08-26-2007, 00:20
horrible on both accounts. I love seafood, but I suck at hunting.

Krakenn
08-31-2007, 19:25
Nothing wrong with Spearfishing. But you have to think that these guys that hunt and kill such a large animal that would taste like crap anyway need their heads read!

Kraks

cgvmer
08-31-2007, 19:34
Hate to say, but Grouper is good eating, and at 300lbs a lot of good eating!!!!

But I no longer consume it, because it is hurting from over fishing.

Suther2136
08-31-2007, 19:34
Just think...if we had more people like that...we'd have less people like that!

Krakenn
09-01-2007, 03:16
Hmm large groper are like rubber and they have worms in the backbone.

Um - Trust me

Kraks

maui_diver21
09-01-2007, 05:42
Wow. I don't understand the way some people think. Not only was this hunt stupid, but it was illegal and pointless. I feel sorry for him. (And by "him," I mean the grouper.)

Garrobo
11-04-2007, 13:18
First thing that I do when I leave the Keys causeway, entering Key Largo, is to go to the Hideout restaurant and get me a big-assed grouper sandwich. Then I am OK to go diving for the week.

No Misses
11-04-2007, 15:53
There is not much sport in shooting goliath grouper (AKA Jewfish). Thier numbers are increasing due to their protected status. They have zero fear of divers and will often swim right up to you. Recently, I had six of them swim off of a wreck to come check me out on my decent. I was never more that 15' away from any one of them for my entire dive. It was like having cows grazing around you. Every time I turned a corner, one would be right in my face.

kyfriedchipper
11-04-2007, 21:27
To be doing that without a knife is a little nuts

Tableleg
11-07-2007, 09:00
Well it just goes to show yet again that karma is in fact a ruling force in the world. :smiley20:

mcc2318
11-17-2007, 23:59
An old Hell diver, that worked with my dad, back when they were still legal, he was telling me that one of his buddies drowned shooting one. His buddy was a new spiro and shot the grouper, even though everyone was trying is signal him not to. last thing they saw was a trail of buddles. Never found him. Scary stuff!

GDiver
11-20-2007, 06:39
I can't even imagine trying to fight one of those things underwater. I've seen huge groupers on night dives in Belize.

ScubaJenn81
11-20-2007, 07:10
There is not much sport in shooting goliath grouper (AKA Jewfish). Thier numbers are increasing due to their protected status. They have zero fear of divers and will often swim right up to you. Recently, I had six of them swim off of a wreck to come check me out on my decent. I was never more that 15' away from any one of them for my entire dive. It was like having cows grazing around you. Every time I turned a corner, one would be right in my face.

That must have been a little shocking the first 3 or 4 times that it happened. Anytime I have seen one, they swim away after one of the photographers that seem to always be in my group start to flash.

LI Diver
11-23-2007, 16:56
First thing that I do when I leave the Keys causeway, entering Key Largo, is to go to the Hideout restaurant and get me a big-assed grouper sandwich. Then I am OK to go diving for the week.

Try Craigs in Tavernier, it's even better!