PDA

View Full Version : Weird Wetsuit issue involving jellyfish?!



Grizbear98
06-29-2009, 23:24
I put on my 3mm wetsuit the other day and jumped in a pool with it and the last time I wore it was in the pacific diving and snorkling. I got out after feeling a stinging and noticed I had lines and welts all over my legs that looked like jellyfish stings. My friend's mom gave me white vinegar which burned like @#%! when I put it on, but eventually cleared it up a bit. I scrubbed out the wetsuit with dish detergent and a brush in hopes of removing what ever was hiding inside. I don't get it, I didn't get stung by anything when I was using it at the time that I can recall, so I'm not sure how jellyfish bits or free floating cnidarians got in there nor how they lasted several months without degrading. It doesn't look like an allergic reaction that I would usually have if I was allergic to the rubber. Has anyone else ever had this problem or can explain how it happened? How can I remove what ever is in there that I can't see and make sure it is gone?

navyhmc
06-29-2009, 23:40
Use a mild vinegar solution and let the suit soak for about an hour. The nrinse w/moderate pressure. That should be the trick.

FishFood
06-30-2009, 00:03
So the wetsuit has been in the closet several months? Is it possible there was a critter in it? (ants, spider, etc)

Or, if you....ermm... 'used' the wetsuit last time and didn't clean it out well, the ammonia may have been what you felt.

petronius
06-30-2009, 00:14
Where in the Pacific were you?

Jack Hammer
06-30-2009, 02:51
Not a real clue, guessing maybe sea lice?

When I was a kid in northern California I remember getting stung several different times by dead jellyfish or their parts that were all over the beach or in the sand. Pretty painful. To this day I have absolutely no desire to get in the water anywhere near where there are jellyfish of any size or type.

Vinegar will cure any remains of them, if that's it. Follow Navyhmc's advice.

Jack

scubadiver888
06-30-2009, 07:03
I put on my 3mm wetsuit the other day and jumped in a pool with it and the last time I wore it was in the pacific diving and snorkling. I got out after feeling a stinging and noticed I had lines and welts all over my legs that looked like jellyfish stings. My friend's mom gave me white vinegar which burned like @#%! when I put it on, but eventually cleared it up a bit. I scrubbed out the wetsuit with dish detergent and a brush in hopes of removing what ever was hiding inside. I don't get it, I didn't get stung by anything when I was using it at the time that I can recall, so I'm not sure how jellyfish bits or free floating cnidarians got in there nor how they lasted several months without degrading. It doesn't look like an allergic reaction that I would usually have if I was allergic to the rubber. Has anyone else ever had this problem or can explain how it happened? How can I remove what ever is in there that I can't see and make sure it is gone?

After using it, did you rinse it in the rinse tank? Maybe someone got stung in the Pacific and their gear (rental) was washed in the rinse tank. If they didn't drain and clean the rinse tank, you might have picked up something there.

mm_dm
06-30-2009, 07:40
Use a mild vinegar solution and let the suit soak for about an hour. The nrinse w/moderate pressure. That should be the trick.


+1. I soak anything neoprene I used that day as Navy described above. A simple solution that really works...keeps the odor level down as well.

chinacat46
06-30-2009, 10:53
A more important question is why were you wearing a 3 mm wetsuit to go swimming?

FishFood
06-30-2009, 13:33
Why do people usually wear wetsuits? :disappointed:

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 14:39
You have to forgive Chinacat...He keeps going to these nice warm tropical places where swimsuits are optional...much less need to wear a wetsuit...:smiley36:

He does take some very good photos and shares them though.

Back on topic:

If you have a strong vinegar smell in your wetsuit when you're done, make sure you rinse well with fresh water, I usually hit it with the hose and a spray nozzel. A 5 min soak in Mirazene helps too: Which is available from Scuba Toys (shameless product endorsement!!!!):smiley36:

Grizbear98
06-30-2009, 14:49
I was in the Galapagos and rinsed it in the shower before I came back on the plane. Haha when a pool is that cold in June on a cold day, a wetsuit was a novel idea, it started out as a joke between me and another person there that we were going swimming in our wetsuits. I don't remember "using" that one, and I always clean mine out with shampoo in the shower at the end of trips. The spots on my legs looked just like Jellyfish welts and I had some lacerations on my knees that turned purple and white.

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 15:31
Everything you've said points to jellies. I still think you had some on the suit. It could be a case of after you rinsed it, a few tenrils may have gotten reattached if parts touched the ground and the tendrils were there. Kind of a recontaminations if you will.

Grizbear98
07-01-2009, 19:08
It was sitting on the deck at one point to dry insideout, maybe something had gotten up there