PDA

View Full Version : need wet suit advice

talesin22
07-01-2009, 01:41
so im new to scuba and i am just starting to buy equipment i need. i took my measurments and have started looking at wet suits online to decide what kind/size i need. my problem is im not in any one size. 2 of my measurements put me in one size, 2 in another and one in a completely seperate one. which one should i be going with? my weight (130) and waist (31) put me in one size. my chest (38) and hips (37.5) puts me in next size up. but im 5'-3" which puts me 2 sizes down. its all very confusing. someone please help me find the right size for me!!!:smiley5:

mrmccoy
07-01-2009, 02:26
the best thing you could do is go to a dive shop and try different sizes on. I'm 6ft. and weigh around 160 so my biggest problem is finding a wetsuit that is tall enough and fits me everywhere else correctly.

I just noticed this was in the womens issues but the same idea applies to all

navyhmc
07-01-2009, 03:01
The ladies will chime in on this as well, but if you are indeed going to order off the rack so to speak, I would go with the larger of the sizes for several reasons: 1. a little loose is better than tight, especially in the chest-easier to breath underwater is always a good thing. 2. It allows for a little weight gain without comprimising fit.

If I were to prioritize your measurements for fit, I would go Chest=>Hips=>Waist=>Weight=>Height. The height will dictate more on the length of the ninseam and can either be modified/altered or just pulled up a little.

A lot also depends on your choice of thickness: a 3mm is a lot more forgiving than a 7mm

russp
07-01-2009, 12:28
My now wife had similar issues but on a taller scale (5'10"/??? pounds) and ended up in men's wetsuits that fit her just fine. She just had to try some on; she ended up with a different brand and size for her 2 mil shorty and her 3 mil full.

obrules15
07-01-2009, 16:10
so im new to scuba and i am just starting to buy equipment i need. i took my measurments and have started looking at wet suits online to decide what kind/size i need. my problem is im not in any one size. 2 of my measurements put me in one size, 2 in another and one in a completely seperate one. which one should i be going with? my weight (130) and waist (31) put me in one size. my chest (38) and hips (37.5) puts me in next size up. but im 5'-3" which puts me 2 sizes down. its all very confusing. someone please help me find the right size for me!!!:smiley5:

Men's wetsuits won't work with those measurements (IMHO). I get the relatively stretchy suit (Henderson Hyperstretch or Thermoprene, Pinnacle Elastiprene etc.) and then go a size down and it doesn't balloon too much but is pretty comfy, it also gets you into a suit that is the right height (I am 5'3 3/4") whatever you do make sure you can try them on before you definitely have to purchase.

P.S. I totally ignore the weight's-- they are useless for me, my measurements put me at 2 sizes smaller than the weight, so definitey try them on.

CompuDude
07-01-2009, 17:48
You can also consider going custom. Frequently they cost around the same as a good off-the-rack suit (unless you're chasing bottom of the bargain bin deals), but will fit even the most complex shapes MUCH better than any off-the-rack suit can.

Custom suit makers I can recommend are:

1) LiquidFit (http://www.liquidfit.com/)
2) AquaFlite (http://www.aquaflite.com/)
3) Wetwear (http://www.wetwear.com/) (only place to get Rubatex (http://www.wetwear.com/rubatex_g-231n.htm) wetsuits, the warmest, highest-quality neoprene there is)
4) Terrapin Wet Suits (http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com)
5) Otter Bay (http://otterbaysuits.com/)

The first two get the most consistently positive raves from people who use their suits, and Wetwear, again, is the only one who can trick you out in the best neoprene made. (Lasts practically forever, 20-30 years not uncommon, will not compress nearly as much at depth, etc.)

scubagirlj
07-01-2009, 21:11
different brands =wildly different sizing! since you're petite, best to go with custom suit but try SeaDreams.com if all you need is something up to 3mm-she makes petite sizes

gNats
07-02-2009, 06:51
The ladies will chime in on this as well, but if you are indeed going to order off the rack so to speak, I would go with the larger of the sizes for several reasons: 1. a little loose is better than tight, especially in the chest-easier to breath underwater is always a good thing. 2. It allows for a little weight gain without comprimising fit.

If I were to prioritize your measurements for fit, I would go Chest=>Hips=>Waist=>Weight=>Height. The height will dictate more on the length of the ninseam and can either be modified/altered or just pulled up a little.

A lot also depends on your choice of thickness: a 3mm is a lot more forgiving than a 7mm

I agree with Navy - go a squosh big rather than small.

A gentleman diving a few weeks ago was wearing a hooded vest under his wetsuit. On several dives, he felt extreme chest pain and was short of breath. He was administered oxygen on the charter and we all hoped for the best.

After lots of discussion, his exposure suit was discussed, and it was determined that his hooded vest was maybe too small due to recent weight gain.

he took the vest off and the problem went away.

CompuDude
07-02-2009, 12:55
Breathing certainly gets priority, but a suit that's too big will do little for protection from the cold.

If a person really needs a suit that's notably too big on one half of their bodies due to their specific body shape, they should really consider a custom suit. (This may matter less if you're fortunate enough to dive only in warm water needing 3mm or less, but in cooler water, you'll not likely be happy with a suit that's too big, top or bottom.)

DivingCRNA
07-02-2009, 20:19

I agree with Navy - go a squosh big rather than small.

A gentleman diving a few weeks ago was wearing a hooded vest under his wetsuit. On several dives, he felt extreme chest pain and was short of breath. He was administered oxygen on the charter and we all hoped for the best.

After lots of discussion, his exposure suit was discussed, and it was determined that his hooded vest was maybe too small due to recent weight gain.

he took the vest off and the problem went away.

Huh. I was gonna tell this story, but the Squirrel managed to send it in while driving down the road....

BTW-Who spotted that it could be his suit??? :smiley2:

debullenbulle
07-22-2009, 22:32
Mine is an hyperstrech of henderson and it's so easy to put on and confortable.