PDA

View Full Version : Bonne Terre Mine

dludwig
08-25-2007, 23:06
Anyone dove at the flooded mine at Bonne Terre Missouri ?
http://www.2dive.com/btm.htm
Looks like an incredible site. I think that will be on my list for this winter.

b1gcountry
08-28-2007, 12:38
I have not dove it, and I don't particularly care to. Some of the DMs I know there are pretty arrogant, and my experience at their shop here in St Louis has never been positive. The tours are pretty much hand-held and boring, and the price is outrageous. Do some searches around the net before you go to make sure you really want to dive it. I was about to sign up for some dives before I heard what everyone had to say.

Tom

Kingpatzer
08-28-2007, 13:22
This came up as a possible trip for my LDS, and the general response from the folks who have done it are "eh, it's there, but it's not really worth either the cost or the time."

I haven't been there myself, but the thing I hear from a lot of people is that it's one of those dives that are something of a check-off dive. Being able to say you dove the site is a bit more important than the dive itself will ever really be.

BSea
08-28-2007, 13:25
I have not dove it, and I don't particularly care to. Some of the DMs I know there are pretty arrogant, and my experience at their shop here in St Louis has never been positive. The tours are pretty much hand-held and boring, and the price is outrageous. Do some searches around the net before you go to make sure you really want to dive it. I was about to sign up for some dives before I heard what everyone had to say.

Tom
I've heard the same thing. But to be fair, I've never been there, even though it isn't too far away.

This came up as a possible trip for my LDS, and the general response from the folks who have done it are "eh, it's there, but it's not really worth either the cost or the time."

I haven't been there myself, but the thing I hear from a lot of people is that it's one of those dives that are something of a check-off dive. Being able to say you dove the site is a bit more important than the dive itself will ever really be.
I agree. I would rather drive 9 hours to the Springs in the FL panhandle than 6 hours to a guided tour of a cold water mine.

avpro4
08-29-2007, 18:09
Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt AND the hat! (Actually I think I lost the T shirt.) Anyway, it is a haul, and at $60 per dive it's really pricey even if it does include the tank rental. Check my review on SB from this January for the whole story, but to summarize: The 100' viz is fabulous if you enjoy seeing a whole LOT of rocks in the dark, a few old mining implements like drills and shovels and ore carts (the EXACT same ones you see on their website, BTW...)

My group found the staff to be very helpful, actually. Though we never got our promised refund for the value of the last dive which we cancelled due to reports of horrible winter driving conditions on the roads back to Chicago. (The ONLY reason you can cancel and get your $$ back.)

I'm glad I went because I can say I've been there. But for the time and money, I'd bet you could find a weekend junket to Cancun, including a couple meals a day, free umbrella drinks and unlimited shore diving for not much more!

Next time I want to get wet in January, THAT's what I will look for.

PM me if you want more details.

b1gcountry
08-30-2007, 10:38
I should clarify a little. I know one very nice instructor that works for West End Diving. I also used to work with one of the DMs there that was a real prick during work hours, and very demeaning when he was talking about diving to me (if you don't dive OUR mine, you aren't a real diver, type of attitude.) I've also been completely ignored when I've gone into their shop by one person. Another time I went there the sales rep was telling me what I need, not listening to what I wanted...

YMMV

Tom

scubasamurai
08-30-2007, 10:45
this might not be the place but after checking the site, they say you need a power inflator on you bcd, what is that all about???

effinghamdiver
09-01-2007, 10:13
I have asked about this mine and have heard from several fellow divers, and they all say you should do it once:smiley20:, but the owner is an @ss.:smiley21: They are very strict, if you make a reservation, they reserve the right to change it, and they do, so you must call a couple weeks out, then the night before to be sure that you weren't rescheduled. I am interested in going, however all my buddies have been there and don't want to deal with the hassel again.

plot
09-02-2007, 07:36
i don't know anyone who was dissapointed with going once, but i also don't know anyone who would go back.

actually, the only positive review i've heard was from an LDS here that takes a yearly trip there... so maybe the instructors from that LDS are good friends with the guys up there by now or something so it all goes smoothly and everyone gets along fine.

Kidder
09-03-2007, 11:50
Bonne Terre mine seems far to pricy of a deal to consider. I live close to St. Louis and there are several other places in Missouri and surrounding states that I would rather go.

b1gcountry
09-04-2007, 08:12
this might not be the place but after checking the site, they say you need a power inflator on you bcd, what is that all about???
That just means you need a BC that is less than 35 yrs old. Not sure from your post if you realize a Power Inflator is the thing you use to put air in your BC using air straight from your tank.

Tom

effinghamdiver
09-07-2007, 21:35
Bonne Terre mine seems far to pricy of a deal to consider. I live close to St. Louis and there are several other places in Missouri and surrounding states that I would rather go.

I think even though it is pricey, it would be a nice place to beat the winter blues and get a good dive in, as the water temp stays the same year round.
:smiley20:

reefgirl64
09-08-2007, 00:26
We were thinking about going, but thought it seemed Very Pricey, considering it's a mine in Missouri. Our old instructor said he loved it, but we talked to a few others who said "whatever...."

Kidder
09-08-2007, 12:31
what did they use to mine there anyway

reefgirl64
09-12-2007, 11:07
here's good link that has historical information on it... is recognized by National Geographic too. Hmmmm.... it would be cool to dive it, I'm sure, just for the historical facts and sites. We love stuff like that. :) I hadn't really looked into that much, till this thread started.
http://www.showcaves.com/english/usa/mines/BonneTerre.html

Kidder
09-23-2007, 11:45
Here's another article on the bonne terre mine. I still don't think its something I'll ever do.
http://www.kansascity.com/270/story/280851.html

quasimoto
09-23-2007, 17:57
what did they use to mine there anyway

If I am thinking right they mined lead ore...can't remember and to lazy to read the links.
At any rate I have been there, done that, didn't get the shirt but I did buy the patch since I collect patches.
I won't go over everything that has been said but will add the the changing rooms are tiny. Try and fit 12 in there and it is a pain. My instructor changed into his dry suit outside so he didn't have to fight.
It's one of those dives that I don't regret doing but I have no desire to go back. One thing about going back is that you can keep going on the other "trails' but the whole group has to go. So it basically means that if you go with your LDS then the whole group needs to have done trails one and two or you will be doing trails one and two again. Believe me there isn't enough to see to do it again.

crpntr133
09-23-2007, 21:37
Well it looks like another Bonne Terre Mine thead.

Been there!! It was ok. like mentioned before it is pricey and I think that is the big thing that most people hate about it. That or the fact that you have to tote your gear down and back up. Actually it wasn't too bad.
I did like seeing the huge columns that were left sink into the deep abyss below you.

cummings66
09-23-2007, 22:03
There are lots of threads about the mine, for the most part they're all like this one. Been there done that, won't be back. I've run into a few who like it, a few who claim they did more than the first two dives with a group in fact. Most say that all you'll ever get to see are the first two trips and every time you come back you'll end up doing it again.

I've heard lots of other stuff about them as well, nothing good. In fact the only good thing a person can say with certainty is that the visibility is good and the temps pretty constant.

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 13:25
You can do the third trail if you do the two day package.

medicdiver
11-16-2007, 02:48
Some of the people I know love going there but I don't know if I will go more than once because of the price. I have heard it is quite a site.

navyhmc
11-16-2007, 02:58
1. If you haven't dove it, it is worth the cost! Totally outstanding. The DPV dive is a lot of fun.

2. Make the best use of your time and cost and go with a 4 or 5 dive package and include lodging in yo upackage. That is the best way to make it more affordable.

terfmop
12-12-2007, 11:54
i'm scheduled to go Dec. 22. I decided I wanted to see what's there. There seemed to be the same # of people reccomending BTM (for at least one trip) vs. those reccomending to skip BTM. Being the optimistic type, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll tell you what I (from the perspective of a new diver) think about the place. My instructor reccomended the dive, but mentioned the operator could be difficult to work with.

cummings66
12-12-2007, 12:39
You instructor is right. Remember this and you'll do fine, the shop there is there to make money, that's it.