PDA

View Full Version : 13 cf pony slung????

Rileybri
07-03-2009, 12:15
Any reason not to sling a 13 cf pony???

awap
07-03-2009, 12:17
If you are going to carry it, I think that is the best way to go.

skdvr
07-03-2009, 13:09

I agree...

Phil

CompuDude
07-03-2009, 14:48

I agree...

Phil

+3.

Motion carried!

comet24
07-03-2009, 15:14
If your looking to sling a small tank I would take a look at a 19 instead of 13. The 13 is just under 13" long a 19 is about 18.5". I think slinging a 19 would be a little easier from a gear setup sense. Not sure how singing a 13 would go when you rig it up. My deco bottles have the snap bolts about a foot apart.

With that said I have never slung a 13 or 19 myself. I usually sling a 40 or 80 depending on my needs.

Jack Hammer
07-03-2009, 16:17
The 19cf would be nicer, but if you got a 13 already then use it. I've never slung a 13 but it looks like it would fit nicely.

Jack

Tassie Diver
07-03-2009, 16:40
13 ft3 is too small, in a lot of cases, to be useful. But as has been said, better than nothing.

Cheers

TD.

awap
07-03-2009, 17:04
The biggest benefit of a 13 is it will fit in flight luggage a bit easier. I find the 13 to be enough for a safe ascent from any recreational depth. But the 19 will give you more cushion if you think you might get a bit excited by a LOA incident. The 19 slings exactly the same as a 13 and you will probably not even notice the little extra length. The 19 is a better choice if flying with it is not a consideration. 30s and 40s are overkill unless you are doing penetrations or having to get back to an up line, but they should carry just as easily in the water with a sling rig. I have slung a 63 in the same manner as a 13 but that is a poor man's double rather than a bailout bottle. In the water, they all are close to neutral and no problem to carry. The hike to the water is another story.

Recon
07-03-2009, 17:18
I made up a custom harness for my 19cf, and I am not to happy with the way it is sitting while underwater. It is kinda sitting horizontal so when swimming it is not to much of an issue, but I can feel it there, but while vertical it is kinda a pain in the rear. Does anyone have any photos of there set up while in the water, or with the harness attached to the BC / tank?

~Recon

Sansho
07-03-2009, 21:13
If your looking to sling a small tank I would take a look at a 19 instead of 13.

+1. I use a 19 attached to the primary tank. Do the math, and you'll find a 19 a useful size from, say, 100'.

jbres1
07-03-2009, 21:54
I sling both a 13 and a 19 from my BP/W set up.
The 13 is for dives less than 50' and the 19 is for everything else.
My set ups are home made, and came from the Dir Diver site.
DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging (http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html)
I got the parts from my local Lowes hardware store , pepboys auto parts and REI outfitters.
The 13 is great for vacation dives where I need to take a flight, but I try to pack the 19 if I have any extra space.
If you have the 13, use it. If you need to purchase a pony , go 19.
The 13 cu ft pony may not work for you if you dive deep and are an air hog. But like posted earlier here, 13 cu ft of air when needed is alot better than no air at all.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Rileybri
07-03-2009, 21:58
Hay all thanks for the replies. I already have a 13 cf Pony so its a matter of to sling or not to sling. I see no reason from reading this thread not to go sling rout. Thanks for the input everyone.

acamato
07-03-2009, 22:49
After reading this thread. I may have to ditch my x-bracket and try to sling my 13.

Recon
07-03-2009, 23:52
Well, those photos helped a little, similar to what I did, I just tried to be more fancy with it, soo... :( I just do not like the way it sits right now, I think that I am gonna have to figure something else out.

~Recon

Nemrod
07-04-2009, 00:11
The 13 is to short and stubby to sling with good balance, the 19 cf is far and away a better choice and I know this from personal experience.

N

baywatch106
07-04-2009, 00:18
So what's the difference between tank mounting a 19 or mounting to a bp? or slinging it?
Pros? Cons? I'm looking to get a pony and I 'm curious about this. I have A BP/W.

Jack Hammer
07-04-2009, 00:35
So what's the difference between tank mounting a 19 or mounting to a bp? or slinging it?
Pros? Cons? I'm looking to get a pony and I 'm curious about this. I have A BP/W.
Some is personal preference, some is conditions it will be used in, some is functionality. Tank mounting can add more drag in the water and be difficult to reach or hand off. Plus there are some entanglement concerns in certain environments. Attaching to the bp can cause it to push up against you, between your suit and the wing being uncomfortable. slinging it can make it difficult for some to access their pocket. All of this is based on environment and how it is setup. I know people who do all and have no issues. And depending on what type of bottle or what type of diving they're doing will use all or a combo of these methods. Slinging generally keeps it where you can see it and makes it easy to pass off, plus it stays in your slipstream.

Jack

Darthwader
07-04-2009, 09:09
Some is personal preference, some is conditions it will be used in, some is functionality. Tank mounting can add more drag in the water and be difficult to reach or hand off. Plus there are some entanglement concerns in certain environments. Attaching to the bp can cause it to push up against you, between your suit and the wing being uncomfortable. slinging it can make it difficult for some to access their pocket. All of this is based on environment and how it is setup. I know people who do all and have no issues. And depending on what type of bottle or what type of diving they're doing will use all or a combo of these methods. Slinging generally keeps it where you can see it and makes it easy to pass off, plus it stays in your slipstream.

Jack

I keep mine attached to my cylinder with an x bracket. it's a bit of a pain to swap tanks between dives, but no big deal really. I've often worried about the entanglement issue though.

I'm curious about slinging. I think I'd like to try it this season.

Rileybri
07-04-2009, 09:14

Jack

I keep mine attached to my cylinder with an x bracket. it's a bit of a pain to swap tanks between dives, but no big deal really. I've often worried about the entanglement issue though.

I'm curious about slinging. I think I'd like to try it this season.

Having use my 13 cf for tank mounting using an "Ultimate Pony Bracket" and having slung my 40 cf for longer deeper dives I can say that slinging is very comfortable and out of the way ish when in the water. Even "easy" tank mounts are a PIA to swap IMHO on a pitching boat on the water. So long as I was not told by the masses that a 13 cf pony was to small to sling I was going to go the sling rout. at $40 ish to set it up is is by far the lessor priced option for BP/W users. I have only looked into plate mounting however and If Slinging does not work out for any reason I will go this rout.....

awap
07-04-2009, 09:59

I used a tank mount with a conventional BCD that only used one tank strap. Once I went to a BP/w with 2 tank straps, I found it more difficult to set up and change from one tank to another. Plus it had problems fitting into some boat tank racks. Sling mounting cured that and alloed me to control the pony tank valve during the dive.

Some may see the tank hanging down at your front side to be interfering. But after a couple dives it just seems to almost disappear. It may make seeing your SPG a little more difficult. When I don't carry the pony, I can usually just glance down and see it. With the pony I unsnap it and bring it up to see. Again, with a little practice, muscle memory allows you to do this without even thinking about it. And re-snapping it becomes surprisingly easy (but you will not think that the first few times).

Splitlip
07-04-2009, 10:13
I sling both a 13 and a 19 from my BP/W set up.
The 13 is for dives less than 50' and the 19 is for everything else.
My set ups are home made, and came from the Dir Diver site.
DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging (http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html)
I got the parts from my local Lowes hardware store , pepboys auto parts and REI outfitters.
The 13 is great for vacation dives where I need to take a flight, but I try to pack the 19 if I have any extra space.
If you have the 13, use it. If you need to purchase a pony , go 19.
The 13 cu ft pony may not work for you if you dive deep and are an air hog. But like posted earlier here, 13 cu ft of air when needed is alot better than no air at all.

Hope this helps,
Jim

I have a 13 I sling, rigged as above. An aluminum 80 at 500 psi ~13cf.
Most of my dives are < 100 ft. In a pinch, 13cf is fine for me.

While the buoyancy characteristis of a 19 and 13 are about the same, the 13 is a couple pounds lighter at the surface, which makes a difference to me when exiting the water and getting back on the boat. In addition the smaller size of the 13, allows me to easily keep it packed away on the boat if I don't use it.

Rileybri
07-04-2009, 12:20
Split once again you come through with the deciding post. I present to the masses my 13 cf pony btl. slung and ready for some water time tomorrow. I may need to adjust the long clip a bit shorter but that I will not know till tomorrow. For $40 and about 5 min of time is what it took.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/4/8/8/0/getattachment_6_aspx.jpeg

awap
07-04-2009, 13:06
Split once again you come through with the deciding post. I present to the masses my 13 cf pony btl. slung and ready for some water time tomorrow. I may need to adjust the long clip a bit shorter but that I will not know till tomorrow. For $40 and about 5 min of time is what it took.

$40 sounds way high especially using brass snaps. You will want to shorten that waist snap but try it first and make a loop or 2 around the handle (or tie some knots) to see if it feels better. And you will want to add another piece of tire tube over the SS ring so nothing will snag on the adjuster. Then cut 3 or 4 more thinner pieces of tube that you should go ahead and stick on the tank when you adjust the rope length. I use at least 2 to secure the hose and 2nd stage and the others are there if you want another or break one. I prefer tire tube to bungee as it holds the hose/regulator more securely.

Splitlip
07-04-2009, 13:07
A cave diving buddy and I re-rigged mine over a couple of beers. It was helpful having him make the adjustments while I wore the rig. It was a bit of a challenge for him because the bottle is so small. The smallest bottle he slings is a 30cf O2 bottle. (see Comet's comments in post 5)

But fact is, it is perfect! Sweet indeed. I can wear it and still use my camera.

Rileybri
07-04-2009, 13:30

$40 sounds way high especially using brass snaps. You will want to shorten that waist snap but try it first and make a loop or 2 around the handle (or tie some knots) to see if it feels better. And you will want to add another piece of tire tube over the SS ring so nothing will snag on the adjuster. Then cut 3 or 4 more thinner pieces of tube that you should go ahead and stick on the tank when you adjust the rope length. I use at least 2 to secure the hose and 2nd stage and the others are there if you want another or break one. I prefer tire tube to bungee as it holds the hose/regulator more securely.

$40 is what it would cost you to go into the LDS and pick up and "H" stage kit. mine came off of a 40 I had staged and was not using.

jupitertreasures
09-28-2009, 11:16
I sling a 13 cf across my chest horizontally making use of two of the "D" rings.
I feel it helps my trim stay better than slinging it along side.
Especially diving steel 120's with no lead to offset.

tmorg
09-28-2009, 12:46
I use a 30ci pony slung on my left side.Homemade rigging,works for me.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/tmorg/scubapics026.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/tmorg/scubapics027.jpg

it_mike
09-29-2009, 13:59
Beautiful rig tmorg! I like the use of the nylon strapping.

tmorg
09-29-2009, 20:46
Mike, thanks. I got the idea off You Tube. :smiley20:

wmspdi
10-01-2009, 23:18
I sling a 19 cf like a stage bottle... no problems. Big enough to get the job done yet not get in my way. I went with an Atomic Z1, and a 1" dial face pressure gauge (screwed into the first stage HP port) instead of a brass-n-glass SPG on a 6" hose.