PDA

View Full Version : Good vis in Oklahoma?

setesh
07-05-2009, 02:18
Hello fellow Oklahomans, I have an opinion question for you. Here's the deal. I'm working so much that I can't take off for a blue water trip for a while so I've been trying lakes. The problem I've been having is that I don't like diving in black tea, but that's all I've found so far. I tried Murray (by the damn) and Tenkiller (crappie point, the scuba park, and skunk island) and the vis was terrible (about 5' at all of them). Tenkiller we tried over 3 days the same weekend and most of the time you couldn't even see stumps or the bottom till they were <6" from your light/face. We did find a small area at crappie point with about 10' vis, and had the whole area been that way it wouldn't have been bad at all. I just don't like diving in in vis so bad that things seem to materialize right before you're about to hit them.

So here's my question: Can I find anything in OK where vis is similar to, say, clear springs scuba park in TX? Honestly anything with vis around 15' would be great? Any ideas on where I should try next? I don't want to stop diving just cause I can't fly to the ocean, but diving in <5 vis just isn't enjoyable to me.

I sure wish Table Rock was closer :smiley13:

jwdizney
07-05-2009, 09:54
i'm thinking, good luck! Disneymom and I dove Tenkiller friday and we could barely see each other while touching! Tim at Nautical Adventures said the lake turned over a couple of weeks ago and is actually starting to settle from a major algae bloom, but even then, we can probably only hope for 5-10' at best, and that may be wishful thinking! supposedly the water around the islands is better, but we didn't have a boat to get there. Beaver Lake, over in NW Arkansas, on the other hand has been reporting some great vis (anywhere from 20-40'!) and it's just a couple more hours from tenkiller. if you can make the drive, i'd recommend it! check out C&J sports on the south side of the dam. they're a full blown LDS with accomodations too! great folks and they can give you directions to some good sites.

fire diver
07-05-2009, 10:10
I recommend Beaver and Tablerock lakes!

PS, wassup JW! long time no see. We need to dive at TK again when the vis improves (anybody got any zebra mussels?)

DOWNDEEP73
07-05-2009, 10:30
Pretty sad when Eufuala Lake lake might have better viz. I went to Damn Site South swimming area and it had 6'-8' viz.

setesh
07-05-2009, 13:38
i'm thinking, good luck! Disneymom and I dove Tenkiller friday and we could barely see each other while touching! Tim at Nautical Adventures said the lake turned over a couple of weeks ago and is actually starting to settle from a major algae bloom, but even then, we can probably only hope for 5-10' at best, and that may be wishful thinking! supposedly the water around the islands is better, but we didn't have a boat to get there. Beaver Lake, over in NW Arkansas, on the other hand has been reporting some great vis (anywhere from 20-40'!) and it's just a couple more hours from tenkiller. if you can make the drive, i'd recommend it! check out C&J sports on the south side of the dam. they're a full blown LDS with accomodations too! great folks and they can give you directions to some good sites.

We were there Fri-Sun so we might have seen you and not known it...assuming of course we passed you above water. Underwater, as you said, you couldn't see anything. The islands weren't very good either, we rented a boat and hit skunk island at Tim's advice, but it was just as bad there. Stupid Oklahoma.....I need to move.

setesh
07-05-2009, 13:44
I recommend Beaver and Tablerock lakes!

PS, wassup JW! long time no see. We need to dive at TK again when the vis improves (anybody got any zebra mussels?)

I would love to dive Beaver or Table Rock (I have done Table Rock a few times and it's great) but they are sufficiently far away to make it no longer a 'day trip'. After working all week the wives get pretty jealous with us being gone all weekend too, and Tenkiller is close enough to make a Saturday of it. When you have to take the wife and kids along a 5 hour trip (Beaver) or a 6 hour trip (Table Rock) can take all day. But with that being said, Tenkiller isn't worth driving to, so that has to count for something.

BTW, we did find quite a few muscles even in the poo soup vis.

setesh
07-05-2009, 13:48
Thanks for the replies gents, I guess I'm just gonna have to wait until my blue water options return. Wife wants to go to Atlantis really bad, and it looks like the Bahamas are good diving (never been before), but it's gonna be late fall/early winter before that becomes an option I think :smiley13:

jwdizney
07-05-2009, 16:48
Hey FD from both of us! definitely need to get together! oh, and A LOT of zebra mussels! how is it that Arkansas lakes are so clear, yet that's where all the chicken farms are?:smiley29:

Nemrod
07-05-2009, 17:01
There is no viz in those mud holes. You can either go to Table Rock or similar in Missouri and Arkansas or drive south to the Gulf and get a ride out to the rigs or Stetson Banks or the FGs or take an airplane or put in a swimming pool which is about as interesting as most lakes. N

texdiveguy
07-05-2009, 17:50
I strongly recommend Broken Bow in SE Ok.. It was full a few weeks back so top was sorta strong I was informed. It has some great shear walls that my buddy was working about 20-40 foot off shore and getting fishing finder pinging 160-175ft. deep. I have hit 165ft. just walking in and dropping down the tree line into some chilly water. Generally great vis for a lake. Fun lake.

BubblesMcCoy
07-05-2009, 19:48
I dove Beaver then Clear Springs and the vis was much better at clear springs. Clear springs isn't much of a challenge, but it's a nice place to get wet and enjoy some shallower dives.

Okc_diver
07-12-2009, 16:09
Elmer Thomas in Lawton has decent vis at the dam at least it did when I was there last year

emsego
07-13-2009, 21:48
I've been told, by several people, that if you go early on a weekend that Elmer Thomas has good vis. I have not been personaly yet.