PDA

View Full Version : pressure and headaches after diving

TRiggER2117
07-05-2009, 12:23
ok so i did my checkout dives to 60 ft. 2 days ago and everytime I ascend my ears KILL me. it hurts so bad and im ascending slowly with my instructor, whenever we did my decompression stop for 3 min. my ears are throbbing and then whenever I go up to the surface and get on the boat I have a headache for a few mins and then I guess my sinuses equalize and I'm fine. Will the ears throbbing go away after time? and my instructor said that it was normal for the first few dives and it would go away and im just makins sure. he said it was my sinuses and they might have clogged or something, Is there any way to prevent it?

and 1 more thing. whenever we were on the boat after my last NAUI certification dive whenever my ears equalized there was a little bit of blood coming out of my nose. he also said that was normal and would go away after time too.

so basically three questions

will my ears hurting go away after a few dives?
any way to prevent my sinuses from bleeding and clogging?
will the nose bleeding go away too?

sorry to ask so much but im just making sure cause I love diving butmy headaches are soo bad. plz help

comet24
07-05-2009, 12:34
No need to post a in few sections.

No this is not normal. Pain on assent is called a reverse block. The pressure has equalized in you sinuses during decent but can't escape during assent. This is often accompanied by vertigo or dizziness.

Blood after a dives is not a good thing. For your instructor to tell you it's normal is just plan scary and I will leave it at that.

Have you ever heard of DAN. DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/)
Good info and the people to do to for diving related medical questions. They can also find doctors experienced in diving related medical issue in your area.

I am not a doctor and you should be talking to one about this.

fire diver
07-05-2009, 12:47
Yes, you had a reverse block. this is VERY bad in diving, not deadly bad, but still bad.

The cuase could be as simple as sinus congestion that day, or you could have a physical (medical) problem.

I would call DAN, and maybe setup an appointment with an ENT doc. before you do any more diving.

TRiggER2117
07-05-2009, 13:04
okay thanks you guys. and the reason i posted it in another section is because after i posted it in that section i realized it was in the wrong 1 so i just moved it over to this 1

TRiggER2117
07-05-2009, 13:10
just 1 more question. how could I have gotten a reverse block if I ascended very slowly. the second time I ascended it was about 20 ft. per min.

fire diver
07-05-2009, 13:53
A block is a block. It doesnt matter how slow you ascend. My daughter had the exact thing after only going down to about 12 feet. It took several hours on the surface for her very minor pain/blockage to clear.

TRiggER2117
07-29-2009, 10:55
A block is a block. It doesnt matter how slow you ascend. My daughter had the exact thing after only going down to about 12 feet. It took several hours on the surface for her very minor pain/blockage to clear.

yea thats how it was for me. I was sitting on the boat talking to my dad and then suddenly my sinus on my left side cleared and a little blood came out of my nose

fisheater
07-29-2009, 22:31
I agree with everything above. Your instructor is scary-wrong. You should call DAN (and join, too).

I write to explain that a reverse squeeze is purely anatomical and not a matter of poor technique. It happens because something is not allowing the expanding air to escape. Get checked out by a medical professional who knows about diving barotraumas. (Hint: most doctors don't)

I know of a full-time instructor/divemaster in Hawaii who had a reverse sqeeze so bad that it required sinus surgery. Her technique was flawless: super slow ascent, as much as her air would allow. She just had a calcified deposit that blocked a pocket of pressurized air.

scubastud
07-30-2009, 06:00
Yes please see your doctor.

Grin
07-30-2009, 08:04
Clearing on the way down has nothing to do with the pressure clearing on the way up.
Usually people have issues clearing on the way down and few issues on the way up.
But it is possible you screwed your ears up on the way down, unknowingly, then realized you had soem issues when you started up.
There are way to many possibilities, so a decent ear doc, that is dive oriented, is a good idea to try to figure it out. You might be suprised to go to a non dive related ear doc and get little help. Designate your ear doc search as dive related for a much better experience is my recomendation.
I have had issues on the way up, but not like your issues. I have had vertigo upon accent a few times. I decided my issue was due to my sinuses at the beginning of the dive being warm and happy and everything working great. Then, toward the end if the dive my sinuses have thouroughly been chilled by the water. The estation tubes (the tube that eqalization has to use to eqalize) runs right up the side of your neck and, exposed to cold water, can turn the sinuses from warm and loose to cold and clogged is my theory. After much experimentation and testing, and docs, many years ago; I decided my fix was to use a wetsuit with a hood attached to keep my neck, and head, warm and my sinuses warm and happy.
Either my problem went away majically, or my little hood idea works, as I have had no issues since I implemted my little fix.
It's an idea for you anyway. If the water your diving is cold you might give the hood idea a try.
Blood is not a good thing and not normal. I think your instructor made alot of comments that are dangerous to your ears. Be careful with your ears and diving!

TRiggER2117
07-30-2009, 09:07
thanks every1 I will definitely do that. calling DAN now

snagel
07-31-2009, 05:50
It's good that you are talking to DAN and I won't get into all the things the instructor said.

My wife had the reverse sinus squeeze while doing a Discover Scuba class. She was in a bad shape for about 4 hours following the dive and has never had any "want to" to try it again. (sucks for me)

As stated over and over, blood from the nose and ears while diving is never a good thing. Hopefully, the blood is nothing more than a simple sinus thing, but it warrents checking out.....especially, since you had other issues.

Snagel

Lj82
07-31-2009, 09:18
Though not exactly related to your incident, I still suggest you take a look at the video 'A diver's ear'. This video will help you understand more about how your ear is affected when you dive.
Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page (http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/)

TRiggER2117
08-02-2009, 09:33
Though not exactly related to your incident, I still suggest you take a look at the video 'A diver's ear'. This video will help you understand more about how your ear is affected when you dive.
Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page (http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/)

thanks lj I'll check it out :smilie40:

tnrescuediver
08-23-2009, 20:45
call dan and go 2 the doc

cummings66
08-25-2009, 21:59
I would hope his problem was gone as he posted because if not he sure does need to see a doc ASAP.

I had a reverse block once, not fun.

The cure, well not really, just don't dive when you're congested, just getting over a cold, or you just recently had one. Only dive when you can breathe well, or you know your body well enough to know when it's saying yes or no.

Coming up, not much you can do except suck in or stay at the depth it doesn't hurt until it clears on it's own. It's similar to going down where you stop descending if it hurts and go up, except here you go down instead and then wait and see if it clears. Sometimes it can help.

caburrid
09-03-2009, 20:50

What'd ya find out?

TRiggER2117
06-09-2010, 07:51

What'd ya find out?

They basically said the same thing that everyone on here said that I had a reverse squeeze and they asked me some questions and such

navyhmc
06-09-2010, 18:22
If you're not diving nitrox, I would suggect taking 30 mg of Sudafed (Psuedephedrine HCl) about 30 min prior to diving and then every 4 hours after that. There is some talk that sudafed can increase the risk of O2 Tox if yuo're using Nitrox. But for regualr diving, Sudafed is your friend.

Largo
06-09-2010, 18:47

What'd ya find out?

They basically said the same thing that everyone on here said that I had a reverse squeeze and they asked me some questions and such

Welcome back!

alpha
06-09-2010, 19:57
If you're not diving nitrox, I would suggect taking 30 mg of Sudafed (Psuedephedrine HCl) about 30 min prior to diving and then every 4 hours after that. There is some talk that sudafed can increase the risk of O2 Tox if yuo're using Nitrox. But for regualr diving, Sudafed is your friend.
I don't think you will ever find a manufacturer recommending this with diving due to lawsuits with increased risk of everything from heart attack to high blood pressure to strokes.......... However, I swallow way more mg than that if I start having excess nasal drainage or sinus pressure that does not rapidly equalize. Then again, I'm a 8 cup of coffee a day kind of guy with normal blood pressure & no known cardiovascular problems ; life's a risk, choose and take your risks to rewards accordingly....Just make sure you read all the warnings to know the risks.

Chilly
06-09-2010, 21:25
I don't think you will ever find a manufacturer recommending this with diving due to lawsuits with increased risk of everything from heart attack to high blood pressure to strokes.......... However, I swallow way more mg than that if I start having excess nasal drainage or sinus pressure that does not rapidly equalize. Then again, I'm a 8 cup of coffee a day kind of guy with normal blood pressure & no known cardiovascular problems ; life's a risk, choose and take your risks to rewards accordingly....Just make sure you read all the warnings to know the risks.

I thought I'd add the link to the DAN article Pseudoephedrine and Enriched Air Diving (http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dandoc/pdfdoc/Pseudoephedrine%20and%20diving.pdf) since the Chief mentioned it. The author indicates that the occasional use of Pseudoephedrine at the recommended dose is probably safe. However, he cautions that chronic use should be avoided and suggests avoiding the drug entirely while using EAN where the PO2 during the dive might exceed 1.4 ata.

Gimp Diver
07-08-2010, 08:19
I am not a Dr but it could be possible you had a sinus infection and didn't know it which from what I have heard will trigger a reverse block.
I got into the habit of clearing my ears continually during my dive during descent, at depth and ascent.
never dive with a cold or any kinds of sinus congestion or allergy's
If you just have to go to the water limit your self to snorkeling and no free diving either.