View Full Version : Flat Vs Sharp tip

Cichlid
07-11-2007, 23:50
I'm thinking of getting a flat tip for my first knife. Any reason for
getting a sharp tip? I dont plan on stabbing anything...but you never
know I guess.smileys/smiley2.gif

NewDaScuba13
07-12-2007, 00:30
I was pondering this exact same question, actually.

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 01:35
They're safer. It all depends on what you're going to use your knife for.

I prefer a traditional knife, but that's pure preference.

A blunt tip knife is better for prying, and less likely to accidentally cut yourself or your gear. It's just as effective at sawing though whatever. It's far more effective as a makeshift screwdriver. ;-) But it's less effective at, err, poking things with a sharp tip.

So get whichever you like. :-)

DDGator
07-12-2007, 08:36
I opted for a blunt tip, thinking that prying was more likely than stabbing. I also like the additional safety of not stabbing myself when trying to work with a knife with limited peripheral vision, etc. in all my gear.

Plus, the blunt tip "diving tool" looks a lot less scary to people who are afraid of sharp pointy objects.

Sawatdee
07-12-2007, 08:47
....A blunt tip knife is better for prying, and less likely to accidentally cut yourself or your gear. It's just as effective at sawing though whatever. It's far more effective as a makeshift screwdriver. ....
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I used to have an Ocean Master titanium drop point knife. I once used it as a makeshift screwdriver and it becomes a blunt tip knife now. smileys/smiley19.gif</DIV>

Judestudio
07-12-2007, 09:11
Another vote for blunt tip. Handling anything underwater is fiddly esp. with gloves on. Didn't want to risk poking myself (bleedsmileys/smiley18.gif --&gt; shark comes smileys/smiley3.gif). There shouldn't be any circumstance that you need a sharp pointy knife. If anything is threatening you, you should "run" instead of fencing with them.

HoosierDaddy
07-12-2007, 11:47
I have always had/used blunt tip. The main reason less likely to harm myself.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That being said, I just ordered two point tip knives from scubatoys.com. Iwill let you know if a few weeks if I have hurt myself or not.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I went with the point tip due to price and useage change. I have had more need to poke and puncture lately than pry. Not sure I have every needed to pry anything under water.</DIV>

the gooch
07-12-2007, 12:17
Another vote for blunt tip. I always had a fear of stabbing the bladder in my BC, probably very unlikely but knowing my luck.

Cichlid
07-12-2007, 21:26
Actually apointy tip can be handy for things such as undoing knots.

A tanto is a good compromise IMO. For fighting giant squid and such, a tanto is not as effective as a drop point, but it is close. OTOH, using a blunt tip on a giant squid is like trying to use a fly swatter to bring down a B-52.
<DIV>my $0.02</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That made me think of Jim McMahon, the ex QB for the Bears. He was trying to untie a knot on a rope with a fork. It slippedand the fork stuck in his eye...ouch. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I will go with the blunt tip. Less chance of blood in the water is a good enough reason for me.</DIV>

frankc420
07-13-2007, 07:48
Sharp tip, because I wanna! What kind of man uses a blunt tip!?

dutch552
07-13-2007, 10:25
Blunt tip for 90% of my diving where the utilitarian nature of the dive too proves useful and tanto or sharp point for spearfishing where stabbing is of concern.

Venio
07-13-2007, 10:31

A tanto is a good compromise IMO. For fighting giant squid and such, a tanto is not as effective as a drop point, but it is close. OTOH, using a blunt tip on a giant squid is like trying to use a fly swatter to bring down a B-52.
<div>my $0.02</div>

Tell me more about the giant squid. Sounds interesting smileys/smiley1.gif.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 11:03

<div>my $0.02</div>

http://www.squiddiving.com

Skinsfan1311
07-13-2007, 11:36

<DIV>my $0.02</DIV>

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>OMG! I thought you were joking in your earlier post! Pretty impressive!</DIV>

Venio
07-13-2007, 12:31

<div>my $0.02</div>

<div>
</div>
<div>OMG! I thought you were joking in your earlier post! Pretty impressive!</div>

No joking there!smileys/smiley36.gif
That's (http://www.neptunic.com/sharksuits_csuit.htm) part of the standard equipment according to the link above.

plot
07-14-2007, 18:13
My knife rarely gets used, so I see no point for a pointy tip that I can stab my bladder with while resheathing it...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How often do you guys use your knives underwater anyways?</DIV>

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 18:43
Rarely, but often enough to justify carrying it, because it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I've used mine 5 or 6 times in the past hundred dives.

Apekscor
07-15-2007, 05:53
Ive decided that i will go for point tip with my next knife. I found it somehow more useful in emergency situations (getting out of entanglement etc.)

guggie
07-15-2007, 15:19
Does anyone know if the scubatoys Fusilier knife is a 2006 or newer version? A competing on-line shop says beware of earlier models because the knife material has been upgraded with a stronger rust free blade.

guggie
07-15-2007, 15:31
Does anyone know if the scubatoys Fusilier knife is a 2006 or newer version? A competing on-line shop says beware of earlier models because the knife material has been upgraded with a stronger rust free blade.

OOPS. How'd the duplicate happen?

cb101
07-15-2007, 16:08
i would go with a knife like this one file:///Users/carter/Desktop/softwrap.jpg the ../store/knives/pics/fogcutterrec&#111;n.jpg (../store/detail.asp?product_id=FogCutterRec&#111;n)

<h3>XS Scuba Fog Recon</font></h3>file:///Users/carter/Desktop/softwrap.jpg

techgnostic
07-15-2007, 23:07
Most pointy knives end up being blunt tipped ones after the second or third attemp to pry something open...so might as well jump right ahead and get a blunter.

EuphoriaII
07-16-2007, 11:52
Another vote for blunt tip. I always had a fear of stabbing the bladder in my BC, probably very unlikely but knowing my luck.
<DIV>Same reason here. I went with a blunt tip because I was concerned about potentially stabbing my BC where the the case is mounted.</DIV>
<DIV>I always get a silent chuckle from the guys on a dive boar with the 2 foot long 'sea hunt' style knife strapped to the leg. Are they fighting sharks or what?http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>
<DIV>ALthough the BIG knives look cool, I justs don't need one.</DIV>
<DIV>It's not the size of your tool, it's how you use it. Or at least thats what my wife keeps telling me.</DIV>

TommyB
07-16-2007, 14:08
Big fan of Coldsteel.
Just wish they made dive knives.

I have the 13BN
http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-tanto-series.html
They say the 13BN's will hold 100+ lbs without breaking.
Now just make a dive knife :)

and the gunsite folder
http://www.coldsteel.com/folding-knives-gunsite-series.html

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 08:47
Agreed, a blunt tip is safer and more funtionanal

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 09:09
I use a blunt tip, though I'm more concerned about puncturing my drysuit accidentally than my BC bladder! ;)

BSea
08-02-2007, 09:20
Blount tip here too. But those thinking of titanium might think otherwise. Titanium is very brittle, and is useful as a cutting tool. Not so much as a prybar.

gunnarman
08-02-2007, 21:45
a man that doesnt need a patch kit for his bc because he thinks he's rambo!

thesmoothdome
08-03-2007, 00:25
Blunt tip here too, pretty much for the reasons others have stated. Although, now that I'm 40 and slowing down, I may consider a pointed tip in case I have to stab my buddy to get away from a shark. Remember, you don't have to outswim the shark, just your buddy! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

tbush
08-03-2007, 10:06
If youve ever poked uour abdomen its no question

Phestr
08-07-2007, 09:58
Blunt tip here too, pretty much for the reasons others have stated. Although, now that I'm 40 and slowing down, I may consider a pointed tip in case I have to stab my buddy to get away from a shark. Remember, you don't have to outswim the shark, just your buddy! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

I though about this, but I still carry a blunt and a hook. And I thought my signature was more original!

3rdEye
08-07-2007, 10:33
i'm going to buy myself a titanium Remora (blunt tip) i think for the knife that I always have on me, and attach it to my BC. I already have a Blue Tang that I can strap on my leg, but I think i'll only have that one for dives when I feel I really need it.

wxboy911
08-08-2007, 09:47
My main knife is the Aeris SilverJack-came with the accessory kit-and its got a blunt tip. I am thinking of getting another knife to put on my leg and that will also be blunt...I am too new and too nervous of putting a hole in something that I need-BC, Reg hose, Me to get a sharp tip.

thor
08-08-2007, 09:54
I like a tanto tip because you never know when you might run into a dive boat mutiny or those famous Pirates of the Carribean, although I could take out Johnny Depp with my safety sausage (That just didn't sound right)

BSea
08-08-2007, 10:31
although I could take out Johnny Depp with my safety sausage (That just didn't sound right)
I gotta agree with the part about it not sounding right.:smiley36:

But back to the point (or rather the lack of it). I also like the tanto tip. I have a small titanium squeeze knife that is tanto tipped. I wish the stainless was available that style when I bought my knife. It may be now, I haven't looked at knives in a while.

thor
08-08-2007, 10:34
I have the same knife. But why stainless instead of titanium? Is it the weight?

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 12:54

Can't speak for him, but for prying, SS is better than Titanium, because it will bend before it snaps. For all it's strength, Titanium is a very brittle metal, so you have to be really careful using it to pry anything.

TxHockeyGuy
08-08-2007, 14:18

Can't speak for him, but for prying, SS is better than Titanium, because it will bend before it snaps. For all it's strength, Titanium is a very brittle metal, so you have to be really careful using it to pry anything.

It also costs a lot more and if you take care of SS it will last for as long as you do anyway. I bought something called hydralloy if I recall which is some new SS and have forgot to rinse it after salt dives and it did not rust. Oh and to stay on topic here I have blunt tip and I chose it so I don't accidentally put a hole in my BCD bladder.

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 15:14
i just use one of my 10'' SS chef knifes... works well for me.. :)

i actually use my dad's old ass SS knife, it is pointed. im looking at a Ti knife... possibly blunt.

BSea
08-08-2007, 15:30

When I bought it, I didn't know that titanium was so brittle. But it's a small knife, so it isn't very useful for prying anyway. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy it even though I like the tanto style tip.

letsgodiving
08-10-2007, 15:13
I like a sharp tipped blade in SS.....no real reasoning, just what I have now.

Splitlip
08-10-2007, 18:00
I Like the drop point (tanto also works) as it permitsworking the tip under loops/knots. I wear my knife centerd on the waist strap and a back inflate wing wing. No chance of puncture.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-10-2007, 20:56
i got a sharp one because i like sharp pointy things, but i think next time i buy a knife it will be blunt, at the end of the day the sharp one will become blunt sometime in the future.

nferra2
08-10-2007, 21:49
I think the blunt knives look kind of cool, and people say they are better for prying, I am just curious what you would be prying while diving?

dmdoss
08-10-2007, 22:26
blunt tip for me.

nferra2
08-10-2007, 23:43
So do you have a recomendation of a good, small blunt, reasonably priced blunt tip knife.

cogrwy
04-22-2008, 12:56
Primary Knife is blunt tip. Backup is small drop point attached to a strap on my BC

cmburch
04-22-2008, 13:37
I currently have a blunt tip strapped to my pressure gauge hose. Good for cleaning scallops, but an old butter knife would also work.

In 15 years, the only time I really needed it was when a Cabezon swam into the rocks and jammed my entire spear. I had to cut the line or lose the gun too.

I want to get a smaller knife to strap to my forearm when freediving to brain/degill fish, emergency, and utility.

EuphoriaII
04-22-2008, 14:02
Blunt tip foe me. I don't want to take any chances on accidentially stabbing my BC or something else

terrillja
04-22-2008, 15:02
Blunt tips on the BC, since I can't see as well what I'm doing when I'm putting them in their sheaths, and pointed for the leg, since I can see then what I'm doing, and then I have both blunt and pointed, so I can deal with more situations.

Bill1979
04-22-2008, 17:41
I'd go with blunt tip myself. I have poked myself on dry land doing fiddly stuff before, I will take the hint.

Crimediver
04-22-2008, 18:57
I use my knife on about every dive. I've used both blunt and pointed. They each have their place but I have never once stabbed myself or my gear. When I need something to pry with I take along a crowbar.

frogman159
04-22-2008, 21:32
I use a flat..handy to use as a screwdriver too.

mobeeno
04-22-2008, 23:03
I use a blunt tip. I would have a sharp tip if I am into spearfishing.

BuzzGA
04-23-2008, 00:09
I'm a big fan of the blunt tip knives because I'm less likely to stab myself or my gear and all the other functions of the knife work the same way. Plus it works better as a screwdriver the first time

LCFrigon
04-23-2008, 00:39
My vote is to strap a claymore(sword, not mine..well either I guess) to the back of your tank...sure people may look at you funny, but they sure as well don't lip ya off while on the boat ;)

r1cook
04-28-2008, 20:48
I double every vote for blunt tip. Less danger.

pyre24
04-28-2008, 21:40
i dont know. i like the sword idea. i have a blunt and i just ordered a drop point. probally wont need either one, but as it was said earlier: better off to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

FreedomPC
04-30-2008, 19:43
I think the blunt knives look kind of cool, and people say they are better for prying, I am just curious what you would be prying while diving?

I use mine to pry on fresh water clams. Where I dive they are plentyful and the catfish love them. They will swarm you until your tired of feeding them.

Shortyman801
04-30-2008, 19:50
My vote is to strap a claymore(sword, not mine..well either I guess) to the back of your tank...sure people may look at you funny, but they sure as well don't lip ya off while on the boat ;)

Takes away the need for weights...

Duckydiver
04-30-2008, 20:41
I prefer the oxymoronical " Blunt Tip"

elijahb
04-30-2008, 21:26
blunt tip is my vote
all my dive buddies use a conventional knife.
If you are concerned about safety go with a bunt tip (it works better to harvest scallops underwater in my opinion)

longtailbda
05-31-2008, 20:21
blunt tip for safety also better for prying.

rawalker
05-31-2008, 21:03
I prefer pointed. I think it's a matter of how confortable you are handling a knife in general. If you aren't used to using a knife go with the blunt for added safety. I on the other hand have handled knives since I was 9 years old. I kept knives for camping a nd fishing. I knew how to filet a fish before I was a teen. I was taught it was a tool and to respect it as such. I have always been a DIYer and can always be found building or repairing something. THis just make me more aware or what my hands are doing and less likely to have an accident with a tool whether it be a knife, gun, hammer, pliers or wrench. In many instances it's a matter of had my share or accident with tool and learn the handling lesson.

cuestick
06-09-2008, 21:09
I've got one with a point. When I buy my next one it will probably be blunt tipped. I've never had a problem with what I have but will probably go smaller and blunt tipped just because I like them.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 21:13
I was given a blunt tip. I would not mind having a sharp tip.

Wetnurse28
06-10-2008, 02:42
I am glad that this discussion came up. I am a new diver and plan to get a dive knife soon. I never knew what type to get. Blunt tip seems the safest and most useful way to go. Most of my diving will be wreck diving in Lake Michigan.

scootermcfly
06-10-2008, 07:32
Mine is a blunt tip-safer in my hands. Both my sons have blunt tip as well...I am safer with those in their hands.

diver 85
07-07-2008, 11:18
Get a pointed one----if you don't like it, flattened that sucker down......