PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Tec 3 LED Attitude Light

PTAaron
07-05-2009, 19:00
I was looking for an inexpensive light to use for peeking into cracks and other under water things that can also be used as a backup for night dives.

I thought this would be a decent one - what do you guys think? Princeton Tec 3 LED Attitude Light reviews and discounts, Princeton Tec (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?Product_id=PrincetonTecAttitude)

mike_s
07-05-2009, 22:51
According to the Princeton Tec website (http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/80), this light puts off only 30 lumens.

I've got the Tec40 from them and it only puts off about 29 or 30 lumens also. I've found it to be frustrating to use to look in nooks and crannies like what you're wanting to do, especially when someone else near me shines in a light that is 5 times brighter and you realize what you're missing.

the light you're asking about is "ok", but you're just gonna want a better light pretty soon. so why spend money twice. get what you need the first time.

PTAaron
07-05-2009, 22:57
Thanks for the feedback. What would you suggest as a better option?

mike_s
07-06-2009, 09:21
I just tested the Dorcy dive light this past weekend that I got last fall. (first night dive since then).

it puts out 180 lumens of light. You can pick them up for in the $49-$51 range from Dorcy Direct (http://www.dorcydirect.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=163&SEName=41-0467-180-lumen-submersible-led-light) or Piranaha Manufacturing (http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=43983&cat=68). It's a couple bucks cheaper from Piranaha, but the free shipping on the Dorcy site makes theirs cheaper in the long run. When you check out, put in the coupon code SCUBA and you'll get an extra 20% off the final price on Dorcy Direct and free shipping.

There is a pretty detailed thread about the Dory light here. http://forum.scubatoys.com/lights/17936-new-dorcy-dive-light.html

If you're wanting to stay Princeton Tec, they have a couple lights that might do what you want. for a larger light, their Shockwave II LED 2009 model is 400 Lumens. (beware that a lot of shops are still selling the older 200 Lumen Shockwave II. Look for a sticker on it that says it's the higher output one.)

The Torent LED puts out 95 Lumens, which isn't bad for a AA light. The Torent xenon puts out 115 Lumens.

I went on a search for a compact light with more output after diving a wreck in September and wanting to use the light to look in nooks/crannies and the Tec 40 just wasn't powerful enough and I didn't want to always carry a huge "pistol grip" light the sice of the Shockwave.

BTW... I've got the 200 Lumen Shockwave II (non LED). the Dorcy is brighter than the Shockwave II and penetrates farther and has a brighter illumination of what it hits, but the Shockwave "flood" illuminates a little better at shorter distances.

openhelix
07-06-2009, 16:03
I have the Dorcy as well and second the recommendation. I picked up 2 from Pirhanna for <$100.

PTAaron
07-06-2009, 21:19
Thanks for the suggestion guys!

buddhasummer
07-08-2009, 06:57
own the OMS Vega silver 80 lumen nice light, also own the new K2 vega black 180 lumen great light also. The 80 lumen Silver vega can be had pretty cheap Id highly recommend the cheaper 80 lumen Vega of course for just a little extra you could get the K2. Very rugged and awesomely bright given their small size. Good luck.

PTAaron
07-08-2009, 07:51
Thanks, I will look into those as well.

The only down side to having my wife equally interested in diving is that whatever I buy, I have to buy 2! The less expensive the better, as long as quality is still good!

DivingCRNA
07-08-2009, 11:56
Can light. Might as well just get one now. They rock the house!

gNats
07-08-2009, 12:06
OP:

Welcome to Michigan scuba diving. I haven't read enough of your posts to determine if you are strictly a vacation diver in the warmer waters or if you plan to dive the Great Lakes and Ohio / IL quarries also.

I am also located in Michigan and will offer you this advice:

Don't go inexpensive on a dive light. I followed the post you made regarding Tec light. Personally, I would not make this purchase unless you are thinking warm water with great visability.

I bought a hand-held grip Princeton light from ST not too long ago. I love it for it's brightness, but hate it when doing the colder / deeper water dives. As soon as I can afford it, I will probably buy a low-end can light, which is still pretty expensive.

Here is the reason: I did a dive this weekend in water with less than 10' visability and was murky and cloudy within the 10'. I had to hold my light so I could see where I was going and check my computer and fiddle with my camera.

Can lights are two pieces. The battery pack attaches to your BCD or BP/W and the light head itself is attached to your wrist. So, you only need to move your hand/arm to illuminate where you are going or what you want to see, leaving your hand itself free to do other things.

If you are going to start wreck diving, you will need a much brighter light than the one you are looking at. The brighter the light, the heavier and bulkier. The heavier and bulkier you are carrying....

That's my advice. I am starting to look for a used can light or at ways to get into a lower end light.

Take this from a gal who has bought two of everything. What I could afford (first) and what I need. Wish I would have bought what I need first, less stuff to try and offload. :smiley2:

mike_s
07-08-2009, 12:29

I've been holding off because with new LED technology, it's only a matter of another year or two before you see some KICK ASS can lights that are LED and put out 20watt plus equivalent.

I don't want to buy a can light now only to wish I had the "new one" in another year or two.

DevilDiver
07-08-2009, 12:48
I will also suggest the Dorcey light, good light at a great price.

If cost is the big factor check out this one as well. Not the best but good at this price.
UK Q 40 Dive Light reviews and discounts, UK Lights (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40)

PTAaron
07-08-2009, 13:44
Waaaaaaaay out of my price range...
At this point I don't have any intentions of going into any caves or inside any wrecks (idea scares the crap out of me) - I assumed these were more geared for that type of diving?

OP:

Welcome to Michigan scuba diving. I haven't read enough of your posts to determine if you are strictly a vacation diver in the warmer waters or if you plan to dive the Great Lakes and Ohio / IL quarries also.

I am also located in Michigan and will offer you this advice:

Don't go inexpensive on a dive light. I followed the post you made regarding Tec light. Personally, I would not make this purchase unless you are thinking warm water with great visability.

I bought a hand-held grip Princeton light from ST not too long ago. I love it for it's brightness, but hate it when doing the colder / deeper water dives. As soon as I can afford it, I will probably buy a low-end can light, which is still pretty expensive.

Here is the reason: I did a dive this weekend in water with less than 10' visability and was murky and cloudy within the 10'. I had to hold my light so I could see where I was going and check my computer and fiddle with my camera.

Can lights are two pieces. The battery pack attaches to your BCD or BP/W and the light head itself is attached to your wrist. So, you only need to move your hand/arm to illuminate where you are going or what you want to see, leaving your hand itself free to do other things.

If you are going to start wreck diving, you will need a much brighter light than the one you are looking at. The brighter the light, the heavier and bulkier. The heavier and bulkier you are carrying....

That's my advice. I am starting to look for a used can light or at ways to get into a lower end light.

Take this from a gal who has bought two of everything. What I could afford (first) and what I need. Wish I would have bought what I need first, less stuff to try and offload. :smiley2:
I appreciate all of the input!
I certainly have no intention of being a "vacation only" diver ;) I plan to be in the water as much as possible - and around here (I live in Macomb Twp) that means either Great Lakes, St. Clair River, or Quarries... We just need to get some practice with some divers experienced with the locations.
Actually I am looking at doing a charter to some lower Lake Huron wrecks in August ... to the Strong and (brain fart) the other relatively shallow one that is right near it.
We've got some quarry dives coming up on the 18/19th and 25th - I was just hoping to find something affordable to get into my hands by then to make peeking into the "attractions" at Portage a little more fun.
Can light is definitely out... since I would need one for me and one for my wife... I don't have a spare $1000-1400 to drop on lights.

If cost is the big factor check out this one as well. Not the best but good at this price.
UK Q 40 Dive Light reviews and discounts, UK Lights (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40)
Thanks for the suggestion.
I was also looking at something like the SL4 or SL6 from UK. We had those as our backup lights in Jamaica on the night dive and it was pretty bright in clear Carribean water ;)

mike_s
07-08-2009, 14:42

I dove with someone the other night that had one of those and compared to the Dorcy light, it looked very DIM.

the UK Q 40 is only a 2.1watt light. It was no where as bright as my 8watt Princeton Tec "Surge" which PT claims to be 8 watts.

Not that the UK Q 40 is a bad light. It's just not bright enough for a good primary in my opinion. (but them again I'm tired of wimpy lights)

IndyDiver
07-08-2009, 15:49
OK, a can light is a much better light than a small handheld flashlight. I agree. But it is also $600 - $1200 compared to $30 - $70. These do not seem to be competing options (at least not in my budget universe) Also, if you choose a good handheld light first, there is no loss in investment, because anyplace you would use a can light you will still need to bring a backup light.

My personal picks for price/value/lumens in the backup/handheld light arena:

First choice - Dorcey 180 lumen, AAA batteries, tight focused beam, $50
2nd choice - UK SL4, 115 lumen, AA batteries, tight focused beam, $30

Lights like the Salvo Rat and Oxycheq Raider have just been blown out of the water by the Dorcey, IMHO.

Smaller lights in the 30-40 lumen range are just worthless, also IMHO.

Full disclosure info - I have SL4 for sale because I am using Dorseys as backups.

CompuDude
07-08-2009, 16:02
OK, a can light is a much better light than a small handheld flashlight. I agree. But it is also $600 - $1200 compared to $30 - $70. These do not seem to be competing options (at least not in my budget universe) Also, if you choose a good handheld light first, there is no loss in investment, because anyplace you would use a can light you will still need to bring a backup light.

My personal picks for price/value/lumens in the backup/handheld light arena:

First choice - Dorcey 180 lumen, AAA batteries, tight focused beam, $50
2nd choice - UK SL4, 115 lumen, AA batteries, tight focused beam, $30

Lights like the Salvo Rat and Oxycheq Raider have just been blown out of the water by the Dorcey, IMHO.

Smaller lights in the 30-40 lumen range are just worthless, also IMHO.

Full disclosure info - I have SL4 for sale because I am using Dorseys as backups.

Used 10w HID can lights can be had for around $300 without too much trouble, as long as you don't need it NOW.

I thought the UK SL4 use 4x C batteries, not AA's. That would be the UK mini Q40 that uses AA, IIRC.

With that out of the way, I agree, I really like the Dorcy. The Intova's are pretty good as well, and similarly priced, but I'm less of a fan of the cr123 batteries they require, compared to readily-available and cheap AAAs in the Dorcy.

DevilDiver
07-08-2009, 16:05
Not that the UK Q 40 is a bad light. It's just not bright enough for a good primary in my opinion. (but them again I'm tired of wimpy lights)

:smiley36: Wimpy lights? For my primary in blue water for night dives I use the Fisheye Mini Focus Light attached to the top of my camera housing.

Lamp type: Super bright LED x 8 bulbs
Brightness: 20 lumens
Battery type: AA size x 4

It's like a small night light, just enough to see but doesn't screw up your night vision. I stay away from the people with the giant light canons. I have watched Barracuda trail divers hunting just over their shoulders they never saw because their eyes were adjusted to a big light. Not that I think they were in danger but it's just freaky.

I do carry my Dorsey clipped off at my shoulder D ring for emergencies though.

The OP wanted a small but good light at a low price, that is why I suggested the Q 40.

PTAaron
07-08-2009, 16:39
Thanks once again for the great input everyone.

IndyDiver has a really nice deal on a set of SL4 lights that I am going to go with for now.

I will keep the Dorcey lights in mind as an upgrade as my wife and I progress and gain more dive experience.

DevilDiver - good point about the night vision and bright lights... something to thing about for night dives for sure!

CompuDude
07-08-2009, 17:01
:smiley36: Wimpy lights? For my primary in blue water for night dives I use the Fisheye Mini Focus Light attached to the top of my camera housing.

Actually, it's AAA x 4, not AA. The manuf website (and consequently, almost every seller's site) is wrong.

Great little focus light, though... I love mine.

IndyDiver
07-08-2009, 22:35
I thought the UK SL4 use 4x C batteries, not AA's. That would be the UK mini Q40 that uses AA, IIRC.

You think correctly. Slight brain spasm on my part there - especially since there were two SL4s sitting on the table behind me as I typed that post. :smiley5:

mike_s
07-08-2009, 23:20
just found that you can get the Dorcy light we were talking about above on Amazon for $44 and free shipping. (thanks to another post in the Dorcy thread).

Amazon.com: Dorcy 41-1467 6AAA-Battery 180-Lumen LED Super Flux Dive Light: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0023RSXSO/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

DevilDiver
07-08-2009, 23:33

Actually, it's AAA x 4, not AA. The manuf website (and consequently, almost every seller's site) is wrong.

Great little focus light, though... I love mine.

Good catch! You are correct, so much for cut and paste... :smiley5: