PDA

View Full Version : Going to Phi Phi Island, November 2009. Need some dive advice.

KojakDM
07-07-2009, 15:03
I am off to Phi Phi Island Thailand mid Nov 2009. My non diving wife will be sunning it up whilst I get some diving in. Can anyone help with advice re sites and dive centres. Do any of the centres do any discounts for DM's. :smiley20:

CompuDude
07-07-2009, 16:18
Enjoy!

Koh Bida Nai and Koh Bida Nok are amazing.

Shoot a PM to Quero, she should be able to give you the straight scoop on local dive ops.

Desert_Diver
07-07-2009, 20:24
I am off to Phi Phi Island Thailand mid Nov 2009. My non diving wife will be sunning it up whilst I get some diving in. Can anyone help with advice re sites and dive centres. Do any of the centres do any discounts for DM's. :smiley20:

I dove with Moskito Divers in Phi Phi. This was in April. The DMs in our group got a discount.

I can not speak for any other dive ops on Phi Phi.

Quero operates out of Phuket but her advice to us about Thailand was spot on. I would also recommend you ask her.

Dive safe. Have fun.

Art

gbrdiver
07-08-2009, 02:53
In the 6 times I've been to Phuket, I've dived with a different company each time, done day trips, overnight trips and liveaboards...wet season and dry. I've only ever had a relaxing time with great diving.

Quero
07-10-2009, 02:49
I'll get back to you via your PM, but some of the decision will rest on where you will be staying. If you are at a resort that is not in the tourist centre of Ton Sai village, it would be a pain to get there by boat in order to get to the dive boat proper. Some resorts have resident dive ops. If you can tell us which resort you'll be at, I can let you know whether the op there is serious about safety, etc.

Are you considering taking your own gear? On Phi Phi (as opposed to Phuket) prices are quoted with gear included, so you will get some "discount" for having your own rather than using the rental gear supplied. If you ask, it's likely that you will receive a discount for your DM status; 5% is about the usual... the same as for multi-day diving and repeat customers. If you don't ask, you won't get it, so make sure to inquire.

Tiptopperoo
07-10-2009, 12:40
I worked last year on Phi Phi as an instructor. I would recommend staying in Ton Sai village, but most people stay there unless you are staying at some of the more expensive resorts around the other side of the island. Quero is correct in that it's difficult to get back to the main dock to go out on a diveboat in time if you stay elsewhere on the island. That said, the first shop I worked for 'Barakuda' did have an arrangement with 'Relax beach resort' where we would look after their customers and wait for them to make the trip around in the morning.

Some notes on the diving on Phi Phi. Prices are fixed across all shops on the island. When I left in Dec 08 it was ~3500B for a 2 dive trip inc lunch and gear hire. DM's get a 10% disc across the board and you get more off again with your own equip (for a full set I remember it being about 500b off)

In terms of dive sites, most days they try to head out to Bida Nok and Bida Nai, these are 2 smaller islands south of Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Ley. There are still some nice sites around Phi Phi Ley, however the nicest stuff is at the Bida's. Other trips run include Koh Haa, which has some minor cave diving stuff, but its fine for recreational divers, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang where you can see whale sharks and mantas in high season (you may be a little early however)

Staff turnover is quite high on the island for obvious reasons. I would go around and chat to shops and try to work out exactly who will be taking you out and how well they are going to be able to cater to your needs. The better outfits on the island (in no particular order) would be Island Divers, Barakuda, Viking Divers, Moskito divers & Phi Phi Scuba. There plenty of others but I don't want to list them all! Main thing I would reccomend, is go and have a chat with the staff, see who you feel comfortable with etc.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any further questions on diving accomodation or anything really in regards to Phi Phi.

Cheers
Dave

Quero
07-14-2009, 00:58
Quero operates out of Phuket but her advice to us about Thailand was spot on. I would also recommend you ask her.

Dive safe. Have fun.

Art

Art, I recall you were happy with your Bangkok hotel. Where did you stay again ?

rogerp
09-29-2009, 03:10
Hi

I signed up with Calypso divers who has a boat trip to Phi Phi and will stay there for a night before you head back to Phuket. Not bad if you dun want to stay too many nights at Phi Phi

Diving Thailand - Phi-Phi overnight special (http://www.calypsophuket.com/phiphiovernight.php)

Roger Pak

Quero
09-30-2009, 04:09
Hi

I signed up with Calypso divers who has a boat trip to Phi Phi and will stay there for a night before you head back to Phuket. Not bad if you dun want to stay too many nights at Phi Phi

Diving Thailand - Phi-Phi overnight special (http://www.calypsophuket.com/phiphiovernight.php)

Roger Pak

The Calypso trip is a good one, but you have to be based on Phuket to take advantage of it. Some people don't like it because they have to check out of their Phuket hotel (or pay the night's stay anyway) for one night, and then check back in in the evening when the boat returns from Phi Phi. This trip obviously isn't designed for people already staying on Phi Phi, which is where I believe the OP is booked to stay.