PDA

View Full Version : Luxfer 6351?

robanna
08-26-2007, 12:59
OK, so there's a problem with the Luxfer 6351 aluminum form 72-87.

What does the original hydro stamp look like? Should it look something like 5A87 where the 'A' is not really an A but looks like one (if that makes sense)?

Is it only Luxfer tanks? and is it all sizes?

The reason I ask is because one of my tanks is a Luxfer AL100 and it looks like the original hydro was 5/87 but that's the one that was hydroed in 12/06. I'd think they wouldn't let that go if it was a problem. I have 2 others that are AL80's but not Luxfer (i don't know the brand but I'm pretty sure not Luxfer) with orginally dates of 4/87 (not currently hydroed).

ScubaToys Larry
08-26-2007, 13:09
Yes, the A should look kind of like an A with an extra line down the middle making it look sorta' like an arrow. That is one of the bad ones.

As far as hydro... it's not their call. Since there never was an official DOT recall - just an OSHA safety warning - the hydro place is free to do it and charge you - but virtually no shops, in our area at least, or dive sites will fill them.

On your other tanks - you need to find some kind of marking.. that same A in the hydro, or maybe a stamped WK (Walter Kiddie - bad!)

But over all - I'd say they are over 20 years old... don't bother with them.

Here is another thread that addressed a lot of these issues... complete with photos: http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1326&highlight=6351

robanna
08-26-2007, 14:59
Thanks Larry,

Like I've got 3 bad tanks. My LDS here has been filling the current one so I'm not worried about it yet.
I heard Luxfer gives you some deal on new ones with trade of the old so I may have to do that.

ScubaToys Larry
08-26-2007, 15:29
Thanks Larry,

Like I've got 3 bad tanks. My LDS here has been filling the current one so I'm not worried about it yet.
I heard Luxfer gives you some deal on new ones with trade of the old so I may have to do that.

That deal ended about 2 and a half years ago... so now the best thing for them is recycling them... about 20 bucks worth of aluminum.

So far, most have blown up when filling. I've only heard of 2 blowing up when not being filled... so if your lucky... It won't be when on your back!

ScaredSilly
08-28-2007, 10:07
Catalina cylinders were never made using the 6351 Alloy. If they are Catalina then those cylinders are fine no matter how old as they are made from 6063 which is what is being used today.

Here is a list of all affected cylinders.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/reports/cylinder/3al_advisory.pdf