PDA

View Full Version : Repairs at Mt. Storm

scubajane
07-12-2009, 08:15
Bigfishk9 and I have been talking about how to repair the platforms at Mt Storm. there is a leg off of each of the 25 ft platforms. we are hoping to fix them the day of the picnic
Bigfishk9 mentioned replacement of the steps to the water. Mt storm removed the last set of steps. I like the idea. How do we go about installing steps? what funds do we use? do we need a permit? who has the know-how to get the job done? as usual I have the questions but no answers.

bigfishK9
07-12-2009, 08:42
Anyone have a working relationship with West Virginia Department of Natural Resources? Lets see if they will even listen to the idea. If so, is there a grant out there that we could use to fund the project?

baywatch106
07-12-2009, 09:16
What about some stimulus money from the govt? Hahahahah!

Seriously steps? i didn't see any in march. It would be easier.

scubajane
07-12-2009, 11:24
steps were washed away last year sometime. they were boards for the sides and filled with gravel. they were great while they lasted,

I tie a rope to a tree part way down the hill and throw the end into the water. I use it for balance in and out of the water. I don't want to plant my face or gear on a rock.

Necklinsberg
07-12-2009, 18:50
I heard talk about trying to organize a work day sometime in August from some of the other divers when I was at storm weekend before last.

Jim from Wash Scuba was going to contact the power plant & thank them for the porta-johns and to see what procedures would be for working on the entry. Perhaps recruiting some Eagle Scout candidates.

emcbride81
07-12-2009, 20:21
I heard talk about trying to organize a work day sometime in August from some of the other divers when I was at storm weekend before last.

Jim from Wash Scuba was going to contact the power plant & thank them for the porta-johns and to see what procedures would be for working on the entry. Perhaps recruiting some Eagle Scout candidates.

OOOH yeah, free labor! Gotta love Eagle Scouts!!! :)

scubajane
07-14-2009, 18:10
Yay Eagle scouts!!! hubby is an Eagle and so is our son!!!!!! free labor is also good!!

navyhmc
07-14-2009, 23:58
Fre labor is always good!!! Good luck with the projects.

mocepts
07-15-2009, 06:20
I know one of my dive buddie's sons tried to do this exact thing as an Eagle Scout project a few years back, and for some reason it fell through. I'll see if I can get any details. He's out of town this week, but I'll see if he's coming up to the picnic when he gets back.

scubajane
07-18-2009, 18:37
We dove mt storm today. air 62 water 82. anyway.... we checked the platforms pretty well. each leg on the east platform was originally held on with 2 brackets that go around a 4 x 4 and through the platform which is less than 2 inches thick. each bracket was hels on with 2 bolts. there are holes for bolts about the size of my pinky. so bolts would need to be at least 3 inches long. brackets are so deteriorated that I can't tell what they looked like new. they were metal of some sort with holes to put a bolt through at each end. they are now less than 1/2 inch wide. and no leg has more than 1 bracket on it.(lots of brackets missing) the leg that is off, broke out of it's bracket. there is a leg still in place that has no bracket on it. I think we may have to hammer out rusted bolts so we can replace them with new bolts. so I guess we will need hammers and ice picks/screwdrivers for that.
the west platform has cinderblocks fastened under the platform to hold it down. a pair of blocks have come off and the center leg on the east side is at a jaunty angle, and pulling away from the platform.
does anyone know who put these platforms down?? I would like to thank them and find out how long they have been there.

anyway it looks like we have some work to do. any help will be greatly appreciated!!! see ya sat!!!!

bigfishK9
07-19-2009, 20:52
So there are already bolt holes there? If so, that will be helpful since I am having problems getting my hands on a hand crank drill. If so, since you were just up there, let me know how many bolts and I will pick up the hardware. From what you are saying, I take it a hammer, punch, and wrench to tighten the new bolts should take care of the problem.

scubajane
07-19-2009, 22:39
So there are already bolt holes there? If so, that will be helpful since I am having problems getting my hands on a hand crank drill. If so, since you were just up there, let me know how many bolts and I will pick up the hardware. From what you are saying, I take it a hammer, punch, and wrench to tighten the new bolts should take care of the problem.

Yes that's a good list of tools. If you have more than 1 of each we could have teams to work on more than 1 leg at a time. then again would it mess with the stability of the platform to have 2 legs off at a time?? I guess it depends on which legs are off. or since no leg has 2 brackets on them we could put new brackets all around before messing with the deteriorating brackets.

for the east platform... 8 legs, each need 2 new brackets. each bracket needs 2 bolts. so 4 bolts for each leg. 8 legs = 32 bolts. then 16 brackets. the brackets have to go around a 4 x 4 and be held in place with a bolt. the brackets need to be U shaped with a bolt hole at each end. the U needs to be big enough to hold a 4x4. I estimate the bolt hole to be 1/2 inch wide. the length should be at least 3 inches depending on the thickness of the new bracket. the wood of the platform is approximately 2 inches thick.

I'm sorry to use so many repetitive words....It's really hard to describe without using my hands to show what I mean.

the west platform is another story...

bigfishk9 I really appreciate your willingness to help. thank you

mselizann
07-20-2009, 06:57
My husband says he has a hand crank drill he can bring Saturday, but the bit isn't very good....

scubajane
07-20-2009, 15:34
I'm not sure we will need a drill but bring it anyway. the west platformmay need it. the east platform already has holes. it just needs new brackets and bolts.

bigfishK9
07-22-2009, 15:47
What I was planning on doing was drilling a hole through the 4X4 and 2X6 and just bolting the two together and eliminating the brackets all together. Maybe I will just look around on Saturday and see what all I need and do the repairs on another day. Give everyone another reason to get together. If only one leg on each platform is an issue right now, we should be ok for a little bit yet but want to get it taken care of before they get in too bad of a shape and collapse.

scubajane
07-22-2009, 17:48
good idea!! I do wonder how water-logged wood responds to a drill. and yes it need to be repaired fairly soon. thanks for your concern!!

scubajane
08-06-2009, 18:57
I got brackets today. now Hubby is going to scrounge around in his Mom's basement and look for appropriate bolts, nuts and washers. hopefully next mount storm dive will be all about fixing the east platform. :)

GFD113
08-20-2009, 23:57
I got brackets today. now Hubby is going to scrounge around in his Mom's basement and look for appropriate bolts, nuts and washers. hopefully next mount storm dive will be all about fixing the east platform. :)

Someone get a hold of me before you make any repairs. I know local diver that has worked on that before, and even bought wood for them in the past. I'll see what he can do.:smiley20:

scubajane
08-22-2009, 19:42

Someone get a hold of me before you make any repairs. I know local diver that has worked on that before, and even bought wood for them in the past. I'll see what he can do.:smiley20:

well, didn't get your post before we left.sorry. but YES any help will be appreciated!!!!!:smiley32:
we dove today. water is a 'balmy' 93 degrees at the surface and the 'thermocline' at 80 ft is 87. air temp 78. :smiley36:
the east platform now has all 8 legs off and the center post is at an angle and has the golf trophy pinned down. :smiley11: the platform has dropped down about 3 ft. it is resting on it's underbelly. we do not have the tools or know-how to lift that platform and reattach the legs. the south east corner leg is broken. I suspect that a boat got it's anchor caught on it and knocked the platform off it's legs.
we went over to the west platform and reattached the center south leg, and placed a bracket on the center east leg (which had been sitting at a jaunty angle. new bracket straightened the leg out). all the other legs on that platform need brackets. we had to put a cinderblock under the center south leg to get the post up high enough to put the bracket into solid wood. the lower horizontal board on the south side of the platform is wobbly.
I plan to be back on sat the 29 to put more brackets on the west platform.
Anything anyone can do to help is very much appreciated!!!

GFD113
08-23-2009, 20:28

well, didn't get your post before we left.sorry. but YES any help will be appreciated!!!!!:smiley32:
we dove today. water is a 'balmy' 93 degrees at the surface and the 'thermocline' at 80 ft is 87. air temp 78. :smiley36:
the east platform now has all 8 legs off and the center post is at an angle and has the golf trophy pinned down. :smiley11: the platform has dropped down about 3 ft. it is resting on it's underbelly. we do not have the tools or know-how to lift that platform and reattach the legs. the south east corner leg is broken. I suspect that a boat got it's anchor caught on it and knocked the platform off it's legs.
we went over to the west platform and reattached the center south leg, and placed a bracket on the center east leg (which had been sitting at a jaunty angle. new bracket straightened the leg out). all the other legs on that platform need brackets. we had to put a cinderblock under the center south leg to get the post up high enough to put the bracket into solid wood. the lower horizontal board on the south side of the platform is wobbly.
I plan to be back on sat the 29 to put more brackets on the west platform.
Anything anyone can do to help is very much appreciated!!!

I'll try to get a hold of him tomorrow, he stops in all the time. If I wasnt working a cover shift sat id go too. I tried to get that trophy un pinned on the 15th but i was down to about 600 psi so we left it. How bad was it stuck?

scubajane
08-26-2009, 15:23
pretty bad stuck. trophy golfer lost his club. the base of the trophy is wedged between two floorboards and the center post is on top of the base. the whole platform will have to be lifted about 3 ft and legs reattached one leg is broken. the platform is not going anywhere yet.

scubajane
08-30-2009, 19:48
We put more brackets on the north platform
If anyone is going there anytime soon please take a phillips head screwdriver and tighten the screw on the middle shore post on the north platform. I could not make that screw move. I guess my hands were waterlogged by the second dive.

Lone Wolf
09-07-2009, 15:10
I am a carpenter, and would be happy to help anyway I can. If we could get a group to lift the platform and secure it I would be happy to assist!! Just let me know. I dive here all winter, so wnt to keep things together.

scubajane
09-07-2009, 16:00
I am a carpenter, and would be happy to help anyway I can. If we could get a group to lift the platform and secure it I would be happy to assist!! Just let me know. I dive here all winter, so want to keep things together.

thanks for wanting to help. we need a bunch of people to lift the platform with lift bags or jacks. I can get more brackets and screws. and there is a broken leg. I think an anchor snagged the leg.

anyone available for the 19 of sept??

Lone wolf. I did not pay close attention to the broken leg. should a 4x4 leg be repaired or replaced? It is the leg farthest from the shore so my guess is that it is about 6 ft tall...oops it has cinderblocks around the bottom of the leg. can they be reused??? I don't know how the blocks are fastened to the bottom of the leg.

GFD113
09-07-2009, 16:25
I am a carpenter, and would be happy to help anyway I can. If we could get a group to lift the platform and secure it I would be happy to assist!! Just let me know. I dive here all winter, so want to keep things together.

thanks for wanting to help. we need a bunch of people to lift the platform with lift bags or jacks. I can get more brackets and screws. and there is a broken leg. I think an anchor snagged the leg.

anyone available for the 19 of sept??

Lone wolf. I did not pay close attention to the broken leg. should a 4x4 leg be repaired or replaced? It is the leg farthest from the shore so my guess is that it is about 6 ft tall...oops it has cinderblocks around the bottom of the leg. can they be reused??? I don't know how the blocks are fastened to the bottom of the leg.

I have 2 250lb bags, If Im of the 19th I'll be there. What time?:smiley20:

scubajane
09-07-2009, 19:08
I think around 10 - 11. I'll leave around 8am and it takes me about 2 hours to get there.

will we be able to lift 1 side of the platform with 2 250 bags???

I have never worked with lift bags. I can man the screwdrivers and the brackets though.

GFD113
09-07-2009, 21:37
I think around 10 - 11. I'll leave around 8am and it takes me about 2 hours to get there.

will we be able to lift 1 side of the platform with 2 250 bags???

I have never worked with lift bags. I can man the screwdrivers and the brackets though.

Make that a single bag, lol. I thought the Dept. had 2. Were probably going to have to rig something up. How much do you think they weigh?

scubajane
09-08-2009, 16:11
the platform in probably 15 to 20 ft square. saturated with water. it is made with 2x 6 s and the legs are 4x4's I have no idea how to estimate weight.

Necklinsberg
09-15-2009, 18:09
The leg should probably be replaced since it is cracked all of the way through.

IMHO, this needs to be planned out well in advance and not be done ad-hoc by whoever shows up. Also IMHO, this is complex enough that no one should be involved who does not have very good control and lots of experience.

Jim Gazica from Washington (PA) Scuba (724-255-7255) is planning a Project Aware for that day so there will be at least 2, perhaps 3 instructor level divers there with his shop. Jim has a long time interest in Storm and has done work there before, I believe that he would almost certainly be interested in helping out

scubajane
09-16-2009, 21:08
The leg should probably be replaced since it is cracked all of the way through.

IMHO, this needs to be planned out well in advance and not be done ad-hoc by whoever shows up. Also IMHO, this is complex enough that no one should be involved who does not have very good control and lots of experience.

Jim Gazica from Washington (PA) Scuba (724-255-7255) is planning a Project Aware for that day so there will be at least 2, perhaps 3 instructor level divers there with his shop. Jim has a long time interest in Storm and has done work there before, I believe that he would almost certainly be interested in helping out

I agree!!! i have been sounding the alarm trying to find someone truly qualified to take on this project. I know I am NOT qualified to repair the platform. I have never used a lift bag and I have discovered that underwater work is quite difficult. I/we have placed some new brackets on the north platform and that was a fairly easy task compared to what needs to be done on the other platform.
thanks for your input!!!

mocepts
09-17-2009, 06:32
I think the perfect thing would be if anyone know someone with a pontoon boat that could be used to lift and steady the platform. That would be sweet.

scubajane
09-17-2009, 17:04
any idea how much that waterlogged platform weighs??? I bet it weighs enough to sink a pontoon. :)

Oh where oh where is the engineer with marvelous diving skills, unlimited money and 20 friends with excellent buoyancy to quickly repair our beloved computer platform??????