PDA

View Full Version : Do you let others use your equipment?

Sasha_K
08-26-2007, 15:45
If you don't do it - why not?

If you do - are you crazy?? :-):smiley36: . Just kidding.:smiley36: If you do, why do you do it and when do you do it.

One of the reasons I decided to purchase my own equipment is to stop wasting money on rentals. So, I am thinking of buying 'decent' equipment and hopefully, once in a while when I am on a scuba trip, I will get to swap equipment with some other divers. This will allow me to try out different setups so I am much better off when I get my next diving setup.

What do you guys think?

Black-Gorrilla
08-26-2007, 15:52
i preefer not to... it's my stuff!!

ScubaGir1
08-26-2007, 16:00
I just bought all my gear and it cost me more than I'd like to think about! LOL So, no... I won't be sharing.
Well, I suppose if my buddy (boyfriend) ran out of air...I might.... J/K :smilie39:
(I have the air source set up instead of the normal regulator and octopus.)

greyzen
08-26-2007, 16:03
Depends on the gear really...

If my friend shows up on my doorstep and is all "hey dude, can I borrow your rig to go hit lake travis", after I finish laughing I'll say no.

If I'm out on a boat and someone is going to have to call their dive because a strap breaks or they forgot something I have an extra of (snork, weight, etc)? Sure I'll loan it.

gtjason2000
08-26-2007, 16:08
could you be liable if your stuff fails? That is a reason not to give out your own stuff in classes instead of the shops gear. I agree with greyzen about the situation thought. While doing rescue I had an o-ring blow on my spg hose and borrowed a dm candidates reg to finish up since we didn't know why it was leaking at the time.

chewyjr15
08-26-2007, 16:09
when I do get gear I would rather not loan it out as I am the one spending a grand and its mine and I take care of it

Vercingetorix
08-26-2007, 16:13
I dive a BP/W, which few recreational (non-techs) have ever tried. If I'm with a buddy who has always wanted to try BP/W to see if he/she would like it, then I'll loan it for a dive if they are diving with me right then. I won't lend the reg, mask, etc.

If you're asking will I just lend it to a friend for the weekend or a dive trip...then NO.

subsur
08-26-2007, 16:21
i do but on very rare occasions and only to trusted people who know how to take care of equipment and are good divers.

medic001918
08-26-2007, 16:52
I gerneally don't loan my gear out. I've let my fiance use some of it from time to time...but really she has all of her own gear. I've let a couple of friends do a short dive in my BP/W to try it out. But it was really just a chance for them to give it a try and see if they like it. But I don't think I'd just let them borrow my rig to go diving. I'm kind of partial to all of the gear that I have.

Shane

dmdoss
08-26-2007, 16:59
just my son

spotteddog
08-26-2007, 17:00
Depends on the person and the reason...."hey buddy can i borrow your gear for this weekend I ran mine over with my truck after my dog chewed on it"...."uhhh no":smiley21:

sidneydiver
08-26-2007, 17:08
Only to a close couple of buddies that I trust.

thesmoothdome
08-26-2007, 17:13
If a friend from out of town who is certified comes in, I'll let him/her use my wife's gear without a problem as long as he/she is taking me diving.

Black-Gorrilla
08-26-2007, 17:14
Depends on the gear really...

If I'm out on a boat and someone is going to have to call their dive because a strap breaks or they forgot something I have an extra of (snork, weight, etc)? Sure I'll loan it.

i agree on that. minor things that will keep people from calling a dive... then gladly. maybe even my BC in a situation such as "how do you like the AT system etc?" and they have a nice BC or something i'd like to try... then sure... but not REGs (ever, even to my brother)

chinacat46
08-26-2007, 17:15
I wouldn't lend my BC or Reg out but I agree if I'm on a boat and somebody needed something I have an extra of I'd probably let them use it. I have lent a mask to a friend who lost his cause he had it on his forehead and a wave knocked it off.

finflippers
08-26-2007, 17:19
I have let my dive buddy use backup gear on a few occasions so we could go diving.

terrillja
08-26-2007, 18:23
My dad just got certified, and I wanted him to try using my Apollo Bio-filter and my computer, so he used my equipment (minus the BC) when he did his OW checkout dives. If he broke it, he'd just have to give me all the new Oceanic gear he just bought.

tnfireman
08-26-2007, 18:47
I voted no, But If I have weights ,or spare parts I'll help someone out.
That being said I did swap BC's with a buddy ,I had to try his BP&W and he wanted to try my Avid.
Ray

turtle_guy
08-26-2007, 20:03
No qualms with my spare tank, but i really cant loan my reg anymore an love my bc way to much to let some else use it when i could be in it.

dludwig
08-26-2007, 20:21
I'm the only one that pees in my wetsuit :smiley11:

Flatliner
08-26-2007, 20:26
Yep,

Not to be cheesy but others have done it for me so I kinda feel like I "owe" it to share. Mind you I am careful who I loan it to, but I will.

scootermcfly
08-26-2007, 20:44
I do, I guess it just depends on the person and the situation. The person who borrows my stuff the most is probably my teenagers since they are my size and can't afford some of the equipment yet themselves.

Scooter McFly

kevinj1
08-26-2007, 21:04
this may sound bad--but never woul I let someone use my equipment. That is my life underwater, and every little measurement counts. no way folks...

the gooch
08-26-2007, 21:36
I voted yes but at this time it would only be my wife or a VERY close friend that I would allow to use my gear.

Jaymeany
08-26-2007, 21:37
certain things but not every item.

georoc01
08-26-2007, 22:04
I've loaned out my mask/fins/snorkel once..But not my rig, suits or BCD.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-26-2007, 22:51
i could ner see lending out a reg or anything like that, maybe if you have a spare mask or something.

dallasdivergirl
08-26-2007, 23:07
backup to the spare mask? sure

booties that kill my feet? no problem

my regulator? if you can exactly match the bite pattern o the sea cure I might let you

my baby size brigade? only if you are a relative.

I will say my super sweet beau let me borrow his big dive light for AOW so I didn't have to buy one.

cgvmer
08-26-2007, 23:20
i have and will for my son's and cousins that I dive with... They let me theirs so why not.

Zenagirl
08-27-2007, 07:07
If it were convenient (ie I didn't miss any diving) I have a couple of friends I'd let TRY my gear if they wanted. Actually, when we're on Maui in December one of our dive buddies is interested in trying paddle fins since he's unhappy with his splits. As much as I hate splits, I did offer to trade fins with him for one dive so he can give my fins a run.

Couldn't do the same with my regs, I have a SeaCure mouthpiece so it wouldn't be comfortable for anyone but me. :D

MelC
08-27-2007, 09:33
Depends on the situation and the equipment which seems to be basically what everyone else has said. I have leant my computer to a couple of diving friends when I knew I wouldn't be using it. I have swapped out fins when someone had forgotten theirs and there was an extra closed heel pair that I could fit into and someone else couldn't. I probably wouldn't be as blithe about my bcd or reg as I would about other gear though (or my wetsuit but for different reasons).

Mel

Capt Hook
08-27-2007, 09:37
Sure, I've let friends use gear when they are here on vacation.

willardj
08-27-2007, 09:39
That would be a NO! Most people don't take care of whats not their's. After going in and out of dive shops and see how some people bring back that stuff. I just choose not to lend mind out.

divingbuddy
08-27-2007, 09:57
I lend things quite regularly - although to people I know quite well, or people I will be diving with. My roommate took a set of my Poseidon regs diving in Tobermory this weekend (I was in the class and pool teaching an open water class).

Diving with students? Ha Ha Ha! I don't even bother trying to keep my own gear - I can't even count the number of times I have switched masks, fins, etc. to make someone's diving experience better.

Many times I have offered up a spare mask, a bottom timer, compass or even my spare set of regs (I take the Sea Cure mouthpiece off and replace it with a $2 generic mouthpiece). My drysuit or BP/W? Most likely not - my drysuit is a custom fit, and I don't carry spare BP's to a dive site. I have let others try out my BP/W for them to see if it is what they want. Everyone who tried it bought their own.

I was on a dive boat in Roatan when I noticed a lovely couple from Texas kitting up. The wife commented that she found it odd that my wife and I each had two lights. When I asked, she told me that they only used one light between them because, as she said, "I usually just swim beside him". I gave her a light of her own to use. She was very appreciative (as was her husband). New friends made by sharing some back up gear.

I enjoy diving and I try to be a socialable ambassador of our sport. Why not help out someone in need or let someone try out a piece of equipment before they buy?

Just my two cents...Cheers!

unclepooty
08-27-2007, 10:24
Yes I will loan gear. Simply paying it foward as it has been done for me.

ScaredSilly
08-27-2007, 10:58
I will let people borrow gear but like anything before it is lent a simple understanding is made - that it comes back in the same or better condition that when it was lent.

rubberduck
08-27-2007, 11:01
I haven't yet but I really haven't been aked either. I probably would as long as it was well taken care of.

Osprey
08-27-2007, 12:27
I've let people borrow things like fins or masks, but I'm a baby and don't share mouth piece-items.. it bothers me.

BSea
08-27-2007, 12:35
I would let my buddies use most of my gear. I let others use light, tanks, and masks. Nobody has asked to borrow a reg, or my BP/W. I can't think of a reason that I would say no.
The only think I've ever had go wrong was a buddy (non-diver) was using my fins while snorkeling. He lost 1 in the deep part of the lake. I tried to find it, but it was too cold, and I was using only 1 fin. But I did get a new pair of fins out of the deal.

No Misses
08-27-2007, 14:20
Yes, I will let my freinds use my gear. On several occassions I or somebody else on the boat have had an equipment problem or a brain problem (forgot some piece of gear). Since we usually alternate two divers down and two on the boat fizzing (SI), it is not a big deal. Just this last weekend I had a friend borrow my old BC for a weekend trip, since his had finally bitten the dust after many long years of service. He got the use of a BC for a weekend and I got to use the 12 pack of beer that he left on my doorstep for me :-)

wxboy911
08-27-2007, 15:13
The only people I have and would are my nephews and Brother-and it was a pair of gloves and a beanie...If I had a tank to loan them I would just to save them some cash. Most of the other gear I have not been asked for.

Charlotte Smith
08-28-2007, 10:08
If it is one of my close friends and they have forgotten something...sure otherwise no......

catalanMMVII
08-28-2007, 12:37
only my fins a couple of times.

mike_s
08-28-2007, 13:21
I had a good friend who was a Navy Seal and doesn't dive much anymore call me and ask if he could borrow my regulator. He was going to help anothe friend with a problem on their cabin cruiser in a local marina.

First off, I don't like to let folks borrow my regulator for any reason, but especially not to dive in a marina where most likely boats are still dumping sewage overboard.

I told him that I'd rather give him $30 bucks out of my pocket to let him go rent a regulator to dunk in sewage than for him to use mine. It was blunt and to the point, but it was the truth.

Let others use my gear?:

primary regulator - No 100% of the time
BC - No. again, I'd help you go rent one first.
backup regulator - maybe to a few select trusted friends. (very few).
wetsuit? - No... go PISS in your own suit.
mask - ok... you can borrow my spare mask
flippers - same as mask.
dive lights - ok. but you break them, you bought them (or buy me new ones).
most accessories - same as dive light.
tanks: I used to let friends borrow them, but not much anymore.

why no on tanks? because most of mine are o2 clean and I had a lot of tanks and didn't like keeping them all up.. I sold off most of the recently because I had so many.

Someone said because I had so many that I should rent them out. I didn't want to because of liability issues. in reality, I had the same liability issues just loaning them out. If someone had an accident on a tank they borrowed from me, even if it was self inflicted stupidity on their part, there was still the high likelyness that a family member of the deceased would sue me for something related to the tank.

There was just no sense putting myself and my family at financial liability to get sued because someone was 1.) too cheap to buy or rent their own tank and 2.) killed themself doing something stupid an self-inflicted.

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 19:38
I had a good friend who was a Navy Seal and doesn't dive much anymore call me and ask if he could borrow my regulator. He was going to help anothe friend with a problem on their cabin cruiser in a local marina.

First off, I don't like to let folks borrow my regulator for any reason, but especially not to dive in a marina where most likely boats are still dumping sewage overboard.

I told him that I'd rather give him $30 bucks out of my pocket to let him go rent a regulator to dunk in sewage than for him to use mine. It was blunt and to the point, but it was the truth.

Let others use my gear?:

primary regulator - No 100% of the time
BC - No. again, I'd help you go rent one first.
backup regulator - maybe to a few select trusted friends. (very few).
wetsuit? - No... go PISS in your own suit.
mask - ok... you can borrow my spare mask
flippers - same as mask.
dive lights - ok. but you break them, you bought them (or buy me new ones).
most accessories - same as dive light.
tanks: I used to let friends borrow them, but not much anymore.

why no on tanks? because most of mine are o2 clean and I had a lot of tanks and didn't like keeping them all up.. I sold off most of the recently because I had so many.

Someone said because I had so many that I should rent them out. I didn't want to because of liability issues. in reality, I had the same liability issues just loaning them out. If someone had an accident on a tank they borrowed from me, even if it was self inflicted stupidity on their part, there was still the high likelyness that a family member of the deceased would sue me for something related to the tank.

There was just no sense putting myself and my family at financial liability to get sued because someone was 1.) too cheap to buy or rent their own tank and 2.) killed themself doing something stupid an self-inflicted.
i have to agree pretty much with you on your points, i learn my lesson whe the gear (bc) came back and was all messed up. with my bc you set it to your style and it done, this guy just messed up my setting and the way i rigged it, never again

mike_s
08-28-2007, 21:15
i have to agree pretty much with you on your points, i learn my lesson whe the gear (bc) came back and was all messed up. with my bc you set it to your style and it done, this guy just messed up my setting and the way i rigged it, never again

The same rules go for anyone wanting to borrow my pressure-washer again also! :smilie39:

scubafreak
08-28-2007, 23:22
My regular dive buddy and that's about the only person. I am happy to help out with anything except my regs. I am not fond of sucking on someone else's spit.

kingfish
08-29-2007, 03:42
I have been able to borrow a friends gear and i appreciated it alot, so i would hope i am able to do the same.

Jas.

Subaqua
08-29-2007, 15:59
reg, BC = only to my sister.
spare mask, fins = yes, but only to someone that I know.
other than that, I keep it for myself. I might accept to let someone I know try by BC or reg to help them make a choice before purchasing their own stuff though.

cutter77
08-29-2007, 17:19
Just to family.......... ~

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-29-2007, 17:30
Like most others it would depend on who and what they wanted to borrow. Something that I don't have to put in my mouth would have a better chance of being loaned!! That is one reason I hurried to buy my own reg!! Also they would only get it with the understanding thaqt if it didn't come back working, or come back at all for that matter, that they would have to replace it.

cummings66
08-29-2007, 17:35
I wouldn't loan my gear out, unless it was on a dive trip and the buddy would have to call his dive, then I might loan him what he needs to dive. Other than that, it's my gear only.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-29-2007, 17:39
We have a whole bag of *extra's* that we will let anyone use, that needs something. (extra fin straps, mask straps, mouthpieces, extra mask, etc...) But my personal stuff, I don't know. I would probably let someone try out my zena, if they were thinking of buying one. But I probably would not loan out my stuff, just so they could go diving.

paintsnow
08-29-2007, 18:33
i would never let anyone touch it unless im there
even if im there i dont want anyone using my reg or bc.
mask or fins are fine if i dont need them
but i wouldnt let someone use them for the weekend
only if im there and i trust the person

Sasha_K
08-30-2007, 09:05
Its encouraging to see some 60% of you are willing to share, one way or another. I really hope someone will let me use their BP/W as I may want to get them some day. And I dont want to have to rent every single piece of equipment out there before I make a decision. Call me cheap, but isn't that what the community is all about - helping each other out a little bit.

Aussie
08-30-2007, 09:21
I lend out my one of my BPW if someone wanted to try it. As with most my gear. It just comes down to if you bend it you mend it. I know a few dealers that have Try gear (Zeagle dealer in Australia). Try before you buy.

Aussie

WV Diver
08-30-2007, 09:24
Only my pee soaked wetsuit. :smiley36::smiley2:

I have loaned my equipment to others on occasion. No big deal.

Travelnsj
08-30-2007, 10:03
I lend out some equipment....like lights, hood, booties....will not lend wetsuit or reg. I always carry an extra mask with me when traveling and more than once someone's mask has been broken and they have used it.

Sasha_K
08-31-2007, 19:25
ISomeone said because I had so many that I should rent them out. I didn't want to because of liability issues. in reality, I had the same liability issues just loaning them out. If someone had an accident on a tank they borrowed from me, even if it was self inflicted stupidity on their part, there was still the high likelyness that a family member of the deceased would sue me for something related to the tank.

I hear ya Mike. I do look at it from a different angle though. I would be more concerned I may cause someone harm then 'being sued'. If it is my primary equipment, I trust it, so I would be comfortable letting someone try it out. For ever since that woman got money from McDonalds for splilling coffee, the whole world wants to sue someone for $$$ :-) .

Liv7301
08-31-2007, 19:45
I have yet to lend equipment to anyone, mostly because the opportunity hasn't presented itself. I have to admit though that I would be rather hesitant.

The one time that norine62 has lent someone some things to snorkle in a shallow lake, his mask was lost. It's was odd...somehow they made it back with the slap strap in the back, but not the actual mask. He was pretty annoyed. The first time he loans something it out, it is lost. At least it was quickly replaced and they fixed it.