PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Locations?

Cichlid
07-12-2007, 00:07
I read where there is a company that does certification dives in Lake
Pleasant, is there good diving there? I never really thought I'd be
diving in the lakes out here, but it is a close option. Where
have you had the best experiences out here?

przeor
07-12-2007, 23:53
Lake Pleasant is the best of the arizona lakes for diving- most of the local shops will do certifications in lake pleasant, San Carlos Mexico, or California. Lake pleasant is currently around 80 degrees on the surface and under 70 around 30 feet. Vis varies, but is currenty 15-20 (depending on boat activity.) The other lakes aren't worth much of a look, you could also try Lake Mohave by Laughlin- it's not too bad. If you're ever looking for dive buddies in the Phoenix area, you'll almost always find someone heading up to Pleasant to join you.

Cichlid
07-13-2007, 00:28
Awesome info, thanks. What makes Pleasant better? What should I be looking for?

przeor
07-13-2007, 00:58
Vis mostly. The other lakes are like pea soup. We'll probably be up at the lake tomorrow afternoon for a dive if you want to join (we're still deciding if we'll go) us for a few dives.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>There are a few spots most folks dive at the lake- Scorpion Bay, which is closing soon to make way for a new marina, and Desert Tortoise which is ok and used by almost all of the classes for checkout dives. Both of those spots are on the west side of the lake- accessed from Castle Hot Springs Road. On the East side, a few guys have been heading over to Vista Point.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>At scorpion bay, there have been lots of fish lately- some playful bass (that'll nip at your fingers) good size bass too! Big catfish, perch, bluegill, etc. etc. In the evening crawfish come out to play- lots of the too, although I'll hopefully be catching and cooking some soon! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Forgive the pictures, i just bought my camera when I took these (literally the first day) and I was goofing around learining all the modes, but it gives you an idea...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.mpsaz.org/wilson/staff/msenloe/scuba/pleasant.htm (http://www.mpsaz.org/wils&#111;n/staff/msenloe/scuba/pleasant.htm)</DIV>

Cichlid
07-13-2007, 20:15
Wow, that helps me out a lot. It is more clear than I thought. I can see how pea soup isn't ideal. Great pics though, thanks!

Queen
07-13-2007, 20:47
Small world - I dove Lake Pleasant last summer when I was in Tucson for a few months, last week I dove the local quarry here in IL...the "sealife" and "features" are about the same. smileys/smiley36.gif

przeor
07-14-2007, 02:48
Lake Pleasant was 81 degrees tonight for our two night dives, thermocline around 25ish feet where it dropped to 70-something degrees. Vis around 15-20 feet. And 24 crayfish in our bag!

Cichlid
07-14-2007, 14:36
Did you eat them yet? Did you find out about freezing them?

przeor
07-14-2007, 21:22
We did, and they were good! I read online yes and no about freezing them. We threw them in the feezer overnight and they were fine when we cooked them up in the morning! Might just have to go and get some more next weekend!

Cichlid
07-14-2007, 22:33
Nice. After you perfect your technique, let me know. That way I can steal it and claim it as my own.smileys/smiley2.gif

msprzeor
07-15-2007, 22:12
The only problem with the crawfish is that you need LOTS to get a meal out of them ... the 24 we had provided a handful of meat. Next time we know to get a lot more ... they look much bigger underwater smileys/smiley4.gif

Dive-aholic
07-20-2007, 07:29
Cichlid, if you want more information on diving in AZ and other areas of the southwest, check out the Dive Sites drop down menu on the site in my sig line. There are a few photos and info there. Also check out the dive reports for those sites.