PDA

View Full Version : Bull sharks

mrmccoy
07-13-2009, 17:47
There have been 2 bull sharks killed in Lake Maurepus in the past 2 months! The first was caught in a shrimp net and the second was speared after it took a catfish that was just speared! The first one was about 6 feet and the second was a little less than 4ft.! I have been wanting to go spear fishing in that area but now i'm thinking not! The vis. in that area is about 3ft. on a good day and thet bothers me the most! Has anyone had any encounters with bull sharks? I know that they are very territorial and have been found very far north in fresh water but Lake Maurepus is brackish. :smiley5:

Splitlip
07-13-2009, 18:23
I've seen a number of them over the years. But nice clear water.

boat iiii
07-13-2009, 23:33
Have seen them a couple of times off WPB, always make me nervous!

mrm777
07-17-2009, 16:45
Saw several big heavy ones on our first Blackbeard trip. After the dive was over, we'd encounter them in the
coral cuts around the dive site....a little unnerving, uh huh.

mrmccoy
07-17-2009, 22:38
Thats what worrries me the most is not being able to see them! They probly wouldn't mess with you but add a dead fish in the mix.......

rayaa3
07-17-2009, 23:06
I think I would be a bit worried in low vis as well. Not because I couldn't see them (well, ok that would stress me out) but because in crappy vis I'm worried about accidentally being identified as prey. I see that people dive with them around all the time, but in nice clear water where the sharks aren't getting confused about what's lunch, and what's not.

Yeah, 3 ft vis, no thanks. I'm a chicken.

navyhmc
07-18-2009, 00:19
one man's chicken is another man's wise sage, rayaa3! :smiley20:

fire diver
07-18-2009, 06:53
I've been told tht bulls and lemons love the murky water areas. This is of course problematic for us as humans.

I keep waiting to spot a bull here in Oklahoma. They've been found as far north of the gulf as the Chicago area, and over 2200 miles fom the ocean in South America.

TRiggER2117
07-29-2009, 11:48
idk about 3 ft vis. thats preeeety crappy.

where we normally dive is about 10 or more ft. viz so its not toooo bad but idk honestly I wouldnt try it. Especially if your spearfishing because a few dead fish on a stringer attached to your side mixed with 3 ft vis and bull sharks. haha no not for me

navyhmc
07-29-2009, 23:23
I've been told tht bulls and lemons love the murky water areas. This is of course problematic for us as humans.

I keep waiting to spot a bull here in Oklahoma. They've been found as far north of the gulf as the Chicago area, and over 2200 miles fom the ocean in South America.

They might have a problem going through the locks Fire diver. I know they have been as far north on the Mississippi as Baton Rouge with one unconfirmed sighting in Memphis.

PTAaron
07-29-2009, 23:51
There was a documented bull shark attack in Lake Michigan... but since that time apparently more dams have been built and they can't get that far anymore.

Splitlip
07-30-2009, 07:23
One more reason to avoid fresh water.

navyhmc
07-30-2009, 08:01

Huh???? How many shark attacks have there been in your back yard???:smiley36:

At least you can still claim no stick attacks...:smiley36:

Splitlip
07-30-2009, 08:30

Huh???? How many shark attacks have there been in your back yard???:smiley36:

At least you can still claim no stick attacks...:smiley36:

But sharks belong here. No surprise.

Sticks, on the other hand, do not belong in any body of water with humans. They seem to be prevalent in fresh water (I saw them in my one and only quarry dive).

navyhmc
07-30-2009, 09:41
"Sticks IV: Don't go in the quarry!"

captain
08-01-2009, 18:40
I have been diving Lake Ponchatrain and Lake Maurepas for 50 years. The bulls have always been there, it's just more people on the lakes now so more meeting with them. As for low vis, out of sight out of mind. Don't worry about them, you are more likely to get hit by lighting than a shark while on the lakes.

mrmccoy
08-02-2009, 05:33
I have been diving Lake Ponchatrain and Lake Maurepas for 50 years. The bulls have always been there, it's just more people on the lakes now so more meeting with them. As for low vis, out of sight out of mind. Don't worry about them, you are more likely to get hit by lighting than a shark while on the lakes.

Yes i'm sure it is more likely I would be hit by lightning but having a bloody fish on a spear might up the chances. I think even then the chances might be about the same as lightning. :smiley20:

Crimediver
08-02-2009, 07:08
I don't mind most sharks but bulls make me very uneasy. They can be a bit troublesome. Most of the folks getting chomped on around my neck of the woods in VA and NC are bull shark victims.

Splitlip
08-02-2009, 09:53
I don't mind most sharks but bulls make me very uneasy. They can be a bit troublesome. Most of the folks getting chomped on around my neck of the woods in VA and NC are bull shark victims.

Yeah. It is the Bulls that usually concern the surfers and the Jupiter hunters.

Interesting though, in the lower Keys my friends tell me they have more problems with the Reef Sharks when they hunt.

TRiggER2117
08-02-2009, 13:26
"Sticks IV: Don't go in the quarry!"

:smilie39:

you should make a movie out of it navy!

captain
08-02-2009, 20:08
In my 50 year diving career I could count the number of sharks I have encounter on one hand and I did a lot of spearfishing at the rigs and in Florida off of Destin and in the lakes. If the idea of shark attack bothers you perhaps diving and spearfishing is not your game.

rayaa3
08-02-2009, 21:06
In my 50 year diving career I could count the number of sharks I have encounter on one hand and I did a lot of spearfishing at the rigs and in Florida off of Destin and in the lakes. If the idea of shark attack bothers you perhaps diving and spearfishing is not your game.

Wow less than 5 sharks in fifty years that's terrible!

For the record if the idea of a shark attack doesn't bother you, I think you are nuts.

I love sharks, and consider myself lucky if I see one. I feel the same way about bears. However the idea of an attack by either bothers me.

captain
08-03-2009, 09:49

Wow less than 5 sharks in fifty years that's terrible!

For the record if the idea of a shark attack doesn't bother you, I think you are nuts.

I love sharks, and consider myself lucky if I see one. I feel the same way about bears. However the idea of an attack by either bothers me.

Maybe I should have said the unreasonable fear of shark attach.
The fear of a shark attaching a diver is not backed up by statistics. It's the surfers and swimmers at the beach you read about.

rayaa3
08-03-2009, 09:57
Nah admit it after 50 years the nitrogen has done perm damage - you are just nuts :)

mrmccoy
08-04-2009, 02:52
Seeing a shark doesn't bother me......I would like to see some at some point in my dive lifetime. like captian said it is a very very small chance for an attack but having a bloody fish on a spear does up your chances.

navyhmc
08-04-2009, 04:03
Nah admit it after 50 years the nitrogen has done perm damage - you are just nuts :)

ooooh man!!! I've been breathing that nitrox stuff!!!I guess I'm totally hosed!!!!:smiley36: Who said that? Who's writing this stuff???:smiley36:

I started diving when Jaws first came out. Personally, I thought the movie was funny as hell. That was one pissed off shark!

I've dive with a lot of smaller sharks-don't like hammer heads, they seem a bit neurotic, but if my eyes were 3' apart and I could ony see forward by turning my head, I'd be neurotic too. I've always looked at what the shark eats. If it's a little fish eater like a reef shark or the like, unless I have a bloody fish on me, I'm ok. I'm a little uneasy with the big boys around-if I see a tiger, that means no night dives, no matter what anyone says and that was way before Jessica Alba's friend got bit in "Into the Blue".

I am happy to say that the attitude towards sharks has gotten far better. At one time the only good shark was a dead one-period. Now at least we've gotten a better understanding of them and can co-exist at least in the eyes of most divers.

I got depressed on my last Roataan dives when I didn't see even one shark

TRiggER2117
08-05-2009, 09:59
[/quote]

It's the surfers and swimmers at the beach you read about.[/quote]

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! :smiley20::smiley20:

caburrid
08-09-2009, 18:45
I find Bull Sharks absolutely amazing. I think it is so cool that they can tolerate fresh water and have been found in the Mississippi River as far north as Illinois. http://http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sharks/FS_bullshark.htm

I would hate to run across one of these buggers while diving however...unless I had good visibility, but I know they can hang out in low viz.

navyhmc
08-09-2009, 19:15
One of the other interesting things about Male bull sharks is that they have the highest level of testosterone in a mg/Kg ratio than any other male species on the planet-talk about your 'roid rage!!!!

Smashee
08-09-2009, 21:18
Plenty of bull sharks in the rivers and estuaries around here. They rarely get out to the good diving spots. A few of my buddies have seen them, but I've not been so lucky. Avoid the poor vis sites especially around dawn/dusk and you'll be right.

snagel
08-10-2009, 05:40
Sounds like several have been watching Shark Week on Discovery. (I've been watching in the back room - sharks freak my son out and I don't want him watching some of this or I will never get him in the water)

Snagel

caburrid
08-11-2009, 20:54
One of the other interesting things about Male bull sharks is that they have the highest level of testosterone in a mg/Kg ratio than any other male species on the planet-talk about your 'roid rage!!!!

Would this explain the aggressive behavior of the bull shark then? Or is it still mostly them thinking you are food in murky water at certain points of the day?

navyhmc
08-11-2009, 21:09
That has been one explanation for bull shark attacks or at least it's been suggested. Murky water has it's merits as well. Probably somewhere in the middle of these two theories.

Splitlip
08-11-2009, 21:23
That has been one explanation for bull shark attacks or at least it's been suggested. Murky water has it's merits as well. Probably somewhere in the middle of these two theories.
My brother's girlfriend's son's 14 year old friend was bit recently in the Bahamas by a Bull. (so this is not anecdotal, lol). You might have seen it on the news.

Clear water. (I know surfers get hit by Bulls because good surf limits viz).

Anyway, the kid told me yes, they were spearfishing, but did not have any kills. Somthing about the Bulls I do know; if you slap the bands of a gun around here, they hear it and the sound brings them in. Now in the Bahamas, only Hawaiian slings and pole spears are permitted. Did the sharks hear that? I don't know. To be continued.

FTR, the kid was stabalized in a Bahamian facility before they flew him across and is fine.

The shark got the teeth of the lower jaw in the calf and never quite locked on with the uppers. So when he spit the kid out, the the muscle remained intact.

(IMO, another reason I wear a full suit. I was told about a hundred years ago, the taste of rubber and neoprene discourages the shark and it releases more quickly. It is gonna release anyway once he taste human flesh in most cases.)

Jupiter teen bitten by shark ready to 'get back in the water and diving again' (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbccentral/content/local_news/epaper/2009/08/06/0806sharkbite.html)

Edit: I just read the article above. They had an injured fish. Makes more sense now.

caburrid
08-12-2009, 20:53
My brother's girlfriend's son's 14 year old friend was bit recently in the Bahamas by a Bull. (so this is not anecdotal, lol). You might have seen it on the news.

Clear water. (I know surfers get hit by Bulls because good surf limits viz).

Anyway, the kid told me yes, they were spearfishing, but did not have any kills. Somthing about the Bulls I do know; if you slap the bands of a gun around here, they hear it and the sound brings them in. Now in the Bahamas, only Hawaiian slings and pole spears are permitted. Did the sharks hear that? I don't know. To be continued.

FTR, the kid was stabalized in a Bahamian facility before they flew him across and is fine.

The shark got the teeth of the lower jaw in the calf and never quite locked on with the uppers. So when he spit the kid out, the the muscle remained intact.

(IMO, another reason I wear a full suit. I was told about a hundred years ago, the taste of rubber and neoprene discourages the shark and it releases more quickly. It is gonna release anyway once he taste human flesh in most cases.)

Jupiter teen bitten by shark ready to 'get back in the water and diving again' (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbccentral/content/local_news/epaper/2009/08/06/0806sharkbite.html)

Edit: I just read the article above. They had an injured fish. Makes more sense now.

This entire thread is the most fascinating thing I have read on ST. We need more threads like this! :smilie40: The bull shark sure is an amazing animal, and it definitely has my respect. I love threads that encourage me to read on about a subject.

joemamma
09-12-2009, 00:20
The wife and I were lucky enough to do a shark dive with 3 bulls down in Playa Del Carmen, MX. It was an amazing experience to say the least! They would circle the group then would swim straight at you only to turn at the last minute. They probable came within in 3 feet of me 3 or 4 times. That will wake you up in the morning! With out a doubt it was my favorite dive thus far.

DMWiz
09-12-2009, 15:53
That is the one shark in the waters I usually dive that concerns me... I don't know that I would be Mr. cool if I saw what you describe.

BRsnow
09-12-2009, 18:12
That is the one shark in the waters I usually dive that concerns me... I don't know that I would be Mr. cool if I saw what you describe.

The family that we dive with in Cozumel took trips over to playa to swim with them as well. It was earlier in the year though and they were gone when we were down there. Apparently there are bunch of them and some of them are quite large. Not sure if I would do it or not, but it seems once you are in the water you fear abates to an extent...BR

joemamma
09-12-2009, 23:11
It was a very last minute type of decision. We got off the afternoon boat and decided to ask if a night dive was available (would have been our first). They said on that day of the week they didn't do a night dive but a shark dive instead. They said the boat is leaving in 5 minutes so if you want to do it, then grab your gear and get on. So it was a mad dash to get on board, and a total of about a 4 minute boat ride to the site. So the first time I had a moment to process what I was about to do was a split second before my back-roll entry. I was surprised at how serene the whole encounter was. I expected to tear through my air at a record pace, but I didn't, instead I was surprisingly calm and relaxed. Not at all what I expected. For me the scariest part was the ascent. We swam away from the site and slowly made our way up, but 2 of the bulls followed us to our exit point and circled at the bottom as we ascended. The vis was a bit limited(35 feet), so by the time we hit our stop depth, you couldn't see them anymore. But you knew they were there!! That was a LONG 3 minutes! Then once we popped the surface it took about 10 minutes for our boat to pick us up due to the rough seas. All the while you cant help but think about them circling below. What a rush!