PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Mistakes

caburrid
07-13-2009, 21:44
Hey all, I was wondering, what silly mistakes have you made before with regards to diving? I know I have forgotten to put my fins on once, and man o man was my face red!:smiley9: Got any good stories to make me feel a little less silly?

PTAaron
07-13-2009, 21:47
I was swimming around in the pool working on buoyancy ... ended up trading off my equipment to my father in-law and grabbed a snorkel for myself.
Dove down to look at the bottom, and forgot that I had switched to a snorkel - that was a fun experience. "Time to breathe... oh wait, that's water not air!"

petronius
07-13-2009, 22:15
Descending with snorkel in mouth, reattaching reg (on boat) without removing bungee from around tank, peeling down wetsuit legs without unzipping ankle zips, driving 80 miles without weights (rocks work!), etc etc...

John Yaskowich
07-14-2009, 08:35
First class asking if there is a left and right to the fins.

No Misses
07-14-2009, 08:47
I did a negative entry in stiff current - Oops, forgot my mask. I was at 40 fsw before I could get turned an headed back up.

Snorkel in mouth instead of reg - yep

No Fins - yea, I've done that one too.

neugierig
07-14-2009, 09:28
i did the snorkel instead of reg part. only it was in open water, not in a pool

MSilvia
07-14-2009, 09:54
I've had plenty of time to make mistakes. Here are the first handful that come to mind:
Tied a crappy knot and had my flag drift away.
Forgot to put batteries in my backup light
Forgot to connect my inflator hose
Forgot to turn on my tank valve
Forgot my weight belt
Forgot to bring a BC :smiley29:
Got my undergarment stuck in my drysuit zipper
Took all the hoses out of my DIN first stage, replaced the port plugs, left it on the post on my doubles in "storage", and couldn't figure out why I couldn't unscrew it later. (The valve got turned on and pressurized the reg with no way to relieve it)
Knocked the bezel off my compass while taking my gear off, and lost it overboard
Put the flag reel down to catch a lobster and lost my flag
Didn't clean an o-ring, and flooded a $200 light
Grabbed my snorkel hose instead of my power inflator
Measured a lobster wrong, and got caught with a "short"
Purchased a tank banger
Purchased tools and hardware that were not stainless steel or brass
Forgot to "manscape" before putting on a p-valve catheter
Didn't connect the p-valve to the catheter properly and had a "wardrobe malfunction".
Ate a convenience store sausage and egg biscuit before a diesel charter in heavy chop.
Didn't trim my dry gloves, and made my thumbs go numb from carpal pressure.
Volunteered to work as first mate on a charter boat.Obviously, these aren't all "beginner mistakes" in the "fresh out of OW" sense, but so long as you keep learning, you're always a beginner at something.

MSilvia
07-14-2009, 09:59
driving 80 miles without weights (rocks work!)
Yeah, but they don't work as well as I would have thought. I'd have figured stone was denser than that.

DMWiz
07-14-2009, 10:05
I've done the snorkel thing, attempting to dive w/o weights, forgetting my booties on a long trip, unscrew the yoke assembly trying to open/close the tank valve, no mask entry, un-secured cam band causing the tank to come off or float up, giant stride in and loosing my mask, surf entry and loosing my mask, surf exit and rolling up the beach like tumble weed... I can't remember what else I have done.

This weekend I saw someone trying to put on their wetsuit backwards and I know a guy who bought a female wetsuit with extra "buoyancy pockets" if you know what I mean :D

scubadiver888
07-14-2009, 10:26
Here is my list:

Jumped in the water without my mask.
Lost my snorkel doing a giant stride.
Forgot to connect my inflator hose.
Forgot to turn on my tank valve.
Forgot my weight belt.
Dropped my Instructor's reel in 130' of water.
Grabbed my snorkel hose instead of my power inflater.
Tried to rescue the Course Director during Rescue Diver Training.
Buddied with a guy who was ADHD and off his meds.
Took my fins off in a strong current while waiting to get on the boat.
Didn't wear enough weight first time I switched from tropical to cold water.
Wore TOO much weight second time I went cold water diving.

Inka26
07-14-2009, 10:38
driving 80 miles without weights (rocks work!), etc etc...

without air in the tank ( just 500 Lbs !!!)

CompuDude
07-14-2009, 10:41
I've made plenty of mistakes, too. Here are the first handful that come to mind, shamelessly stealing some of Matt's:

Left bungee on tank in boat rack and attached regs on top
Forgot to connect my drysuit hose
Forgot to turn on my tank valve
Forgot my wetsuit at home, drove 1.5 hrs to the divesite, paid for parking, then discovered this fact
Forgot my weight belt on the boat, wondered why I couldn't descend
Forgot my regs on a boat dive (thank goodness for spare regs from friends, I cobbled together a whole set!)
Got my glove liner's clip caught in my glove ring
Removed my drysuit hose for a long series of wet dives, forgot it at home on my next dry dive
Didn't close my camera housing all the way after a last-minute adjustment, bye-bye camera...
Backrolled off a small boat without holding my mask securely, bye-bye mask...
Done a surf entry without holding my mask securely, bye-bye mask...
Purchased tools and hardware that were not stainless steel or brass

Mistakes I've seen include divers grabbing their snorkel instead of inflator, trying to wear fins with the foot pocket inserts still inside, asking about left/right fins, the list goes on and on. No harm, no foul, we're all still learning...

I'm sure there are others I'm leaving out...

skdvr
07-14-2009, 11:04
Oh Boy... I have made my share too...

-Forgot to connect drysuit hose
-Attached my wing the wrong way and did not realize it until I tried to use the rear dump and could not find it.
-Had my BC inflator hose trapped behind me and did not realize until everyone else had descended
-Drove 4.5 hours to the lake and realized I did not have my regs. I had to go and rent some.
-Forgot to turn air on
-Sitting down on a bench to doff my gear and forget to remove the bungee from my neck and everything falls off the bench when I go to stand up.
-Forgot drysuit hose at home after doing some pool work.
-Put the wrong size ID hose on my P-Valve. The ID was to big so it did not stay attached to the barb of the valve. Not a good feeling.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. I am sure that there is more though...

Phil

scubadiver888
07-14-2009, 11:06
I almost forgot my best one...

Took a 2 week vacation to the Caribbean, brought all my own gear and left my c-card at home. Thank goodness PADI has online lookup.

Jack Hammer
07-14-2009, 12:24
Forgot to connect my drysuit hose
Forget my computer...and my backup
Brought singles reg for doubles dive
Brought doubles regs for singles dive
Forgot to open valve(s)
Didn't check dryglove o-ring for lint before jumping in
Thought I could go up a size for p-valve :smiley9:
Didn't personally make sure my rig was secure after crew "tied it down", snapped hp hose off 1st stage leaving threads stuck in reg :smiley35:
Forgot insulation, had baselayer only for drysuit dive in ~50* water, Brrrrr
Left mask at home, and backup, had to borrow one from boat Capt
Jumped in mask on boat
Jumped in hood on boat, 45* water
Jumped in gloves on boat, 45* water
Left wetsuit on dock
Left fins on dock
Left camera on dock (all separate dives on same trip:smiley11:)
Put regs on over bungee and couldn't figure out why I couldn't stand up
My personal favorite: jumped in ocean with snorkel in mouth, valve not opened, no air in bc, and bc inflator hose disconnected :smiley19:I learn from my mistakes, well mostimes :smiley13:, now I make it a point to take my time checking my gear before I leave and recheck it before I get in the water, well -- usually.:smiley5:

Jack

pafindr
07-14-2009, 13:10
Used the snorkel instead of the reg
Left the bungee cord on the tank
Jumped in without holding my mask (with student watching)
Left my gear in the car after loading all the students gear to the boat.
Took my fins off in a strong current while waiting to get on the boat.

And about 100 other things that I can't recall

MSilvia
07-14-2009, 13:20
My personal favorite: jumped in ocean with snorkel in mouth, valve not opened, no air in bc, and bc inflator hose disconnected :smiley19: Ohhh... that's a rough one Jack.

Good thread... lots of opportunities to learn from other peoples' mistakes here!

thor
07-14-2009, 13:31
*Brought a backpack on the boat on my first ocean dive during a vacation. Forgot to take the camera out of the backpack from hike the day before.

*Same trip, second day, wore my rented wetsuit right onto the boat. Left my clothes at beachside dive shop. Left backpack in room this time...with all my change of clothing. Had no change of clothes on the boat for the ride back..or for the walk back to room due to somebody stealing my clothes.

*third day. Brought backpack without camera, brought change of clothes, but forgot to bring bathing suit, so ended up diving in my underwear which is better than diving commando, almost. Got alot of stares on boat when changing into shorts with see-thru underwear that I forgot I had on.

Recon
07-14-2009, 13:43
This one just happened yesterday... can you say shocker...

Not doing a FULL functions check on your regs.

Running OOA drills SOLO with no one around at ALL using pony bottle as "buddy" air, had new hoses put on all my regs (miflex)... go to purge pony bottle reg... lol... what's this.... purge not working, and OOA in lungs... get primary get primary get primary back in MOUTH... oh NO!!! primary purge NOT WORKING... really OOA now... go to octo.... octo purge worked... had to surface after that and check my shorts... 10 feet of water.. but still scary when your gear breaths fine, but no purge.... arg.. turns out, the miflex hoses had turned the tuning down so far when they got tighten up, that purge didn't work.

~Recon

Rileybri
07-14-2009, 13:51
-waited till I was 35 to get my OW cert
-did not listen to MSilvia 10 years earlier that I should get my OW cert so I could dive with him.
-left for a two tank dive charter with only one full tank.
-jumped in without turning on my air
-snorkel in moth not reg when entreating the water.
-unbuckled my weight belt to hand up with out actually grabbing the belt.
-lent a diver some led on a dive charter (never saw that led again)

Scuba Pete
07-14-2009, 14:03
I waddled down to the dock with my double 104's with my glasses still on and no mask. I had to make the waddle back to the truck to exchange my glasses for the mask. I still have not been able to live that one down. :smiley32:

pafindr
07-14-2009, 14:20
Oh I remember one
Did a giant stride off a high ledge at a cave dive without inflating my BC and carrying doubles. I sunk to the bottom into the muck.

scubadiver888
07-14-2009, 14:26
-waited till I was 35 to get my OW cert

I can relate:

Waited until I was 37 to get my OW cert.
Also, put my mask and snorkel on deck while students doing confined water. Mask survived but the snorkel was totally crushed by someone's tank.

Diver mom Tulsa
07-14-2009, 15:14
Drove 2 hours to the lake to discover that we had left both of our BCD's at home. We decided the gas would be cheaper than renting so we drove back to get them!

I grab my snorkel about 8 out of every 10 times I try to dump air from my BC! I really think someone should make a snorkel for the right side!

Forgot weights but the dive were shallow and I was able to get down by duck diving. Not pretty but it worked!

CompuDude
07-14-2009, 15:19
I grab my snorkel about 8 out of every 10 times I try to dump air from my BC! I really think someone should make a snorkel for the right side!

Or save the snorkels for snorkeling, and leave them in your bag for scuba...

CompuDude
07-14-2009, 15:20

Running OOA drills SOLO with no one around at ALL using pony bottle as "buddy" air, had new hoses put on all my regs (miflex)... go to purge pony bottle reg... lol... what's this.... purge not working, and OOA in lungs... get primary get primary get primary back in MOUTH... oh NO!!! primary purge NOT WORKING... really OOA now... go to octo.... octo purge worked... had to surface after that and check my shorts... 10 feet of water.. but still scary when your gear breaths fine, but no purge.... arg.. turns out, the miflex hoses had turned the tuning down so far when they got tighten up, that purge didn't work.

I'm not seeing how a hose has anything to do with your reg tuning. I've swapped rubber and miflex many times and there has been no difference.

scubadiver888
07-14-2009, 15:21
Drove 2 hours to the lake to discover that we had left both of our BCD's at home. We decided the gas would be cheaper than renting so we drove back to get them!

Forgot weights but the dive were shallow and I was able to get down by duck diving. Not pretty but it worked!

There are lots of snorkels which can be reconfigured. The end is flexible tubing and the mouth piece can be replaced. You take the mouth piece off the flexible tubing, turn it around and pop it back on. Snorkel is now configured for the right side.

That snorkel I had smashed pool side was like this.

petronius
07-14-2009, 16:29
Yeah, but they don't work as well as I would have thought. I'd have figured stone was denser than that.

Very true - it turned into a bit of a geology lesson figuring out which rock type was densest and then scurrying around the shore to find a lot of smooth, evenly-sized samples. It was a hassle but it saved two great dives. And the real beauty is that the spot was a long hike down a steep trail - I got to just abandon my 'weights' on the beach... :)

Jack Hammer
07-14-2009, 16:44

Very true - it turned into a bit of a geology lesson figuring out which rock type was densest and then scurrying around the shore to find a lot of smooth, evenly-sized samples. It was a hassle but it saved two great dives. And the real beauty is that the spot was a long hike down a steep trail - I got to just abandon my 'weights' on the beach... :)
I did a quarry dive last week with a buddy who got a new drysuit, toward the end of the dive I look over and he's carrying a rock the size of a large shoebox along with him, I'd have talked smack but I recall doing the same thing last year.

Jack:smiley20:

wgt
07-14-2009, 16:52
Did a back roll while wearing my sunglasses.

Recon
07-14-2009, 17:25

I'm not seeing how a hose has anything to do with your reg tuning. I've swapped rubber and miflex many times and there has been no difference.

When you disassemble the hose from the reg body, and over tighten the hose to the reg body it can turn the hex key tuning thingy (cause I don't know the correct name for it, it is now a thingy). All that was done by the guy at the counter when I bought the hoses (at ST) was ditch old hose, put on new hose... I didn't think that could happen either... but alas it did..

~Recon

Splitlip
07-14-2009, 18:09

When you disassemble the hose from the reg body, and over tighten the hose to the reg body it can turn the hex key tuning thingy (cause I don't know the correct name for it, it is now a thingy). All that was done by the guy at the counter when I bought the hoses (at ST) was ditch old hose, put on new hose... I didn't think that could happen either... but alas it did..

~Recon

Changing hoses should have no affect on cracking pressure adjustment. In any event, you should have known something was wrong when you first breathed from it. I'd have it checked again.

Splitlip
07-14-2009, 18:11

I'd rather mistake my snorkel for a BC hose than my regulator. Snorkels are better off stowed somewhere other than attached to mask.

Recon
07-14-2009, 18:14

~Recon

Changing hoses should have no affect on cracking pressure adjustment. In any event, you should have known something was wrong when you first breathed from it. I'd have it checked again.

Yeah, I thought that there was something up with it, but ignored it, thus I will never make that mistake again. I had them fixed right there at ST.

~Recon

Jack Hammer
07-14-2009, 18:19

~Recon

Not to be mean, and based upon your comments and posted profile of 0-24 dives being close to accurate, I think you should work on a better understanding of how your equipment works and better predive checks before trying solo dives.:smiley2: Glad to hear you're ok, it'll make a funny story down the road.

Recon
07-14-2009, 18:34

~Recon

Not to be mean, and based upon your comments and posted profile of 0-24 dives being close to accurate, I think you should work on a better understanding of how your equipment works and better predive checks before trying solo dives.:smiley2: Glad to hear you're ok, it'll make a funny story down the road.

Solo in a pool... +/- 10 feet not gonna worry about that, if I can't safely surface from that... then I have no business diving... also... my profile is not entirely accurate.. I do have more then 0-24 dives... but as I have said in the past... before starting to dive again 4 months ago.. I had not dove in over 8 years... since my last dive, I have gotten fat, older, started smoking more, and have complete lost almost all of my boeuancy that I did have. I was an "ok" diver before, so I dont want to list, 50 - 100 dives until I have 50 to 100 dives under my belt, and I have started to gain more control over the basics. When I stopped diving before, I was just to the point where hovering was not a problem, now that I have a LOT more body fat... hovering / proper weighting is an issue that I am still trying to work out. Also S.A.C. rate... omg I have turned in to a MONSTER air hog... I do not think that I would even list the amount of dives to 30 feet that I have had since starting to dive again just trying to work on my boeuency and air consumption.

~Recon

Jack Hammer
07-14-2009, 18:49

~Recon

Solo in a pool... +/- 10 feet not gonna worry about that, if I can't safely surface from that... then I have no business diving... also... my profile is not entirely accurate.. I do have more then 0-24 dives... but as I have said in the past... before starting to dive again 4 months ago.. I had not dove in over 8 years... since my last dive, I have gotten fat, older, started smoking more, and have complete lost almost all of my boeuancy that I did have. I was an "ok" diver before, so I dont want to list, 50 - 100 dives until I have 50 to 100 dives under my belt, and I have started to gain more control over the basics. When I stopped diving before, I was just to the point where hovering was not a problem, now that I have a LOT more body fat... hovering / proper weighting is an issue that I am still trying to work out. Also S.A.C. rate... omg I have turned in to a MONSTER air hog... I do not think that I would even list the amount of dives to 30 feet that I have had since starting to dive again just trying to work on my boeuency and air consumption.

~Recon
Glad to hear you're back into diving. No offense was intended, I'd rather say something than to encourage through inaction someone to dive beyond their skill/training. My first few dives after the winter my sac rate was almost twice what it was at the end of last season, thankfully it came back in line after a few dives.

Jack

IndyDiver
07-14-2009, 19:13

-Attached my wing the wrong way and did not realize it until I tried to use the rear dump and could not find it.
-Had my BC inflator hose trapped behind me and did not realize until everyone else had descended
-Drove 4.5 hours to the lake and realized I did not have my regs. I had to go and rent some.
-Forgot to turn air on
-Sitting down on a bench to doff my gear and forget to remove the bungee from my neck and everything falls off the bench when I go to stand up.

Phil

I can do you one better that I just did last week.

Had my BC inflator hose trapped under my backplate and did not realize it until everyone else had descended. Couldn't get it out, so I doffed the BP/W in the water to reach it. Turns out my buoyancy was heavily dependent on my 5mm wetsuit and I didn't actually have enough air in the wing to float the BP/W. Down it went and landed on the bottom right in the middle of the three people waiting for me. NBD because we were only in 25 feet of water at the quarry, but I had a rough SI after that.

Splitlip
07-14-2009, 19:31

-Forgot to turn air on

Phil

Had my BC inflator hose trapped under my backplate and did not realize it until everyone else had descended. Couldn't get it out, so I doffed the BP/W in the water to reach it. Turns out my buoyancy was heavily dependent on my 5mm wetsuit and I didn't actually have enough air in the wing to float the BP/W. Down it went and landed on the bottom right in the middle of the three people waiting for me. NBD because we were only in 25 feet of water at the quarry, but I had a rough SI after that.
:smiley32: Love it. NYUK,NYUK, NYUK

I have trapped my (NOT) necklaced second behind my plate. DOH! I found the problem though before I splashed. I boat dive so just before I roll, stride whatever, I have a little ritual I do which puts my hands on 4 hoses and my mouth on 2 regs.

caburrid
07-14-2009, 20:03
Lol, well it looks like I am not doing too bad yet, but I am only starting my diving career. I can't wait to see what happens to me in the future.

in_cavediver
07-14-2009, 21:50
Well,

I think I have done almost everything mentioned above. The one thing new -

With a drysuit always make sure the zipper is closed all the way.

40 degree water is NOT something you want to feel coming in the bottom of a self-entry drysuit. The leak always seem to fall on a sensitive area if you know what I mean. I have to admit doing this one twice. Once as a duh moment (2" gap), the other due to gear snaggin during donning (less than 1/4" gap)

Glasses - I have had a pair do a number of dives with me. Easier than running back out to put them away.

mrmccoy
07-14-2009, 22:32

-Forgot to turn air on

Phil

I bet you did have a rough SI after that! I'm sure that will never happen to you agian either.

Recon
07-14-2009, 23:21

~Recon

~Recon
Glad to hear you're back into diving. No offense was intended, I'd rather say something than to encourage through inaction someone to dive beyond their skill/training. My first few dives after the winter my sac rate was almost twice what it was at the end of last season, thankfully it came back in line after a few dives.

Jack

No offense taken at all, it is through the experiances of others and ourselves that we learn. If it were not for other people coming before us, we would not have the knowledge we have today.

~Recon