PDA

View Full Version : Lube required on tank valve threads?

huvrr
07-13-2009, 22:18
Why do I need to put lube on the threads of a tank valve? Does this requirement exist, and does it differ with steel vs aluminium? I know the type of lube is specific to some apps like O2, but is this a corrosion issue or what?

IndyDiver
07-13-2009, 23:44
Why do I need to put lube on the threads of a tank valve? Does this requirement exist, and does it differ with steel vs aluminium? I know the type of lube is specific to some apps like O2, but is this a corrosion issue or what?

A thin coat of grease is recommended to prevent galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals. I don't know how important this really is because the threads are under the neck o-ring and the air in the tank is dryer than Arizona in August, but it is what's recommended.

skdvr
07-14-2009, 08:35
What Indy Said....

If you get a little bit of corrosion on the threads it can make valve removal a real PIA. It just takes a very small amount. I do it anytime I remove and reinstall a valve...

Phil

CompuDude
07-14-2009, 10:17
Yup. A little Dow-Corning 111 for non-Oxygen clean applications, else a light smear of Christolube (or Tribolube) and all is well. 1/4 of a pea-size dab is all it takes, run down opposing sides of the threads, and it all evens itself out as you screw it in.

cummings66
07-15-2009, 10:47
Basically you treat it like you would or should a sparkplug. Fail to do it and one of these days when you remove the valve part of the cylinder will come with it, thus ending the service life of the cylinder.