PDA

View Full Version : weight removal for OW

middy diver
07-14-2009, 02:20
I seem to have found an odd problem. At the dive centre where we are, we get quite a lot of (no offense to anyone) really fat blokes, who are too big for our weight belts. Therefore we have been giving these students a weight harness to wear. The problem is that I don't have a weight harness so demonstrating weight removal becomes very difficult. The closest I can come to it is using the weight intergrated pockets on my bcd. Any advice on this?

PTAaron
07-14-2009, 07:49
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just get some longer weight belts so everyone can learn the skill the same way?

chilly willy
07-14-2009, 08:12
Odd that a dive center has harnesses but no long belts. I guess it might have to do with the location, giving the benefit of doubt, but if long belts are not available you might try putting two belts together for the drill or use one of the harnesses yourself for instruction.

wheelman
07-14-2009, 08:53
Or spend a few $ on some 2" webbing and make some longer ones.

in_cavediver
07-14-2009, 21:52
There isn't an excuse for not having longer wieght belts. Its just a buckle on 2" webbing. Its maybe maybe $3-$4 dollars worth.

Simply make longer wieght belts so everyone has the same gear.

fisheater
07-15-2009, 12:52
Or you could hook one weight belt onto another to make a double lenght belt.

Zeagle Eagle
07-20-2009, 12:20
For those of us that don't have defined hips (read that fat bellies) a normal weight belt won't stay on. You need a harness/suspenders to keep it on. Not that I would know anything about having a large tummy.

bigman241
08-16-2009, 23:44
I guest you might not like having me in your class. I am fat 6'5'' 470 pounds. But i walk hike hunt fish as good or better then most 200 pound guys. I hiked a 5800 foot mountain 3 mile trip. Got to the top and three guys we talked with at the bottom got to the top and asked how we got up before them. I said well we went around the back. The guy laughed and said that the hard way extra mile. extra 500 feet jump in hieght over the mountain. Plus a trail that was not for tourist. It is on the appalation trail. That runs from NY to georgia. The guy asked how i made it. Sure i was out of breath. About to fall over and die but i made it. They would not even walk down the back way. The guy told me he had been hiking the mountain for 10 years and know alot of people that hike it. And he said he has never seen a 450 pound guy at the bottom wanting to walk it. Besides see one at the top. I went home which was just down the road. Took the picture of me at the top printed it wrote i am 450 pounds and went the long hard way what about you. Left one on the board at the bottom and the top. Maybe i inspired the next 450 pound guy to walk it.
Now i understand us big people suck to have do something you small guys corner the market on. There are no 5x scuba gear stuff out there. Sure we might need two seats on the plane. We might break your chair at your resturant. But we can do most stuff you can. I would recommend buy some webbing make a few oversize belts. My plan i figured it out in 20 minutes today when looking at the weight belts. And i ant even cert yet. :smiley13:
Now sorry if i came off rude. you comment though total wrong and dumb did not upset me or offend me in any way. I learnt when i was young to deal with those small people who could not look past a persons weight to find a answer to a proplem. Also i do understand there are medical proplems for fat people when it comes to scuba. But one of the fat people in your class might need scuba to give them that extra push to loss there weight. Good luck with your proplem with not having the correct weight belt hope you fix it without lossing to much business.
PS us fat people out weigh you in pop. so might watch what you say about the fat folks never know when one will read your post and not walk into your shop. Not that i would not but i understand i am fat. I am not in a dream thinking i am just big boned. Though if you told me what you posted when i was doing my cert i would properly walk out. Might be alittle more caring next time :smiley20: Good diving hope i did not flame you to much sorry if i did it is all good here.
I seem to have found an odd problem. At the dive centre where we are, we get quite a lot of (no offense to anyone) really fat blokes, who are too big for our weight belts. Therefore we have been giving these students a weight harness to wear. The problem is that I don't have a weight harness so demonstrating weight removal becomes very difficult. The closest I can come to it is using the weight intergrated pockets on my bcd. Any advice on this?