PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Jaymeany
07-14-2009, 22:07
Any words to the wise on dive insurance? also with instructor insurance do I need an independent personal dive insurance like DAN? I'm just trying to make sure I am doing the right thing with insurance. Thanks!

ReefHound
07-14-2009, 22:54
They are totally different kinds of insurance. Your instructor insurance is "professional liability" that covers incidents where others may file a claim against you. DAN is accident insurance where you file the claim.

CompuDude
07-14-2009, 23:25
They are totally different kinds of insurance. Your instructor insurance is "professional liability" that covers incidents where others may file a claim against you. DAN is accident insurance where you file the claim.

Yup.

Bummer, but yup.

Jaymeany
07-15-2009, 06:33
I figured but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

scubadiver888
07-15-2009, 07:36
Any words to the wise on dive insurance? also with instructor insurance do I need an independent personal dive insurance like DAN? I'm just trying to make sure I am doing the right thing with insurance. Thanks!

If your instructor hasn't started talking about this you should ask them about insurance and liability. My instructor started talking about this before I signed up for my DM. She wanted to be sure I understand how going pro will change things for me before I went pro.

Jaymeany
07-15-2009, 07:56
He has a bunch but I wanted to check for other opinions from the wealth of knowledge from this board. I also wanted to double check to make sure of the double coverage (personal liability and personal dive accident) just to make sure what I heard and read was correct.

scubastud
07-15-2009, 08:54
Not sure how it works, but a few instructors here are insured through a LDS. They have an arraingement, the instructors have use of the classroms and the rental equipment for free. The store figures the students will purchase gear and vacation packages there.
The instructors pay a modest charge for being included on the shop's liability insurance.

scubadiver888
07-15-2009, 10:10
He has a bunch but I wanted to check for other opinions from the wealth of knowledge from this board. I also wanted to double check to make sure of the double coverage (personal liability and personal dive accident) just to make sure what I heard and read was correct.

The reason I mention talking to your instructor is because when I talked about this stuff with my instructor I started to wonder if I wanted to go pro. In my country, if someone is in trouble and you do nothing you are protected, if you are just an individual scuba diver (even with Rescue Diver training). Travelling to other countries for dive vacations, there are similar laws so you don't have to worry too much.

As a dive professional you have to start thinking about liability. I'm getting my DM (and more) because I like teaching and helping others. It is just in my nature to help. In some locations, I could be considered acting as a DM. A dive op might appreciate the help but if something goes wrong, I'm on my own. The insurance at my dive shop won't cover me while I'm on vacation.

My instructor has told me a few stories of dive ops trying to convince her to 'help' a individual diver who needs a buddy. Last story she told me, she walked away for a bad situation at the Spiegal Grove (diver was not qualified to dive the site; had the right cards but was obviously pushing his limits. I.e. vacation diver). Younger DM acted as 'buddy' to the other diver. Other diver died, DM hasn't been diving since the accident.

So there is more than having the right insurance. If it comes down to insurance and lawyers, you might give up on diving altogether.

Now that your pro, protect yourself first. You don't need to be paranoid but you need to be informed and make sound legal decisions. In other words, have good coverage but do everything you can to make sure you never need to use it.