PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used???

SkItZo
07-15-2009, 10:23
So I'm looking at purchasing a LP safe second and I know the warranty wont transfer to me after I purchase It used. How likely is an atomic regulator to fail and cost me yet another unexpected bill?? Also I hate purchasing off the internet unless it's from a highly rated seller!!! Are there any guarantees that if I purchase from an independent seller off this site and get screwed ST will refund part or give me some compensation?? :help:

awap
07-15-2009, 10:32
Regulators are quite reliable so warranties are probably worth much more to the dive shop than to the diver. The warranty allows them to charge higher prices initially and to continue collecting the annual "rent" as you pay for the usual service to keep your warranty in effect.

That said, there is always a small risk when you buy used scuba gear. I find that the savings far, far, far outweighs the risk.

ReefHound
07-15-2009, 10:59
ST is not running an auction site here and receives no commission from members selling gear to other members so there is no way ST is going to back or guarantee any such transaction. That should be common sense.

MSilvia
07-15-2009, 11:01
Never had a problem with a used reg that's been serviced.

If there is a problem though, I doubt scubatoys will back a sale from a private seller. They might though... they do a lot of other awesome customer service things I can't believe.

rayaa3
07-15-2009, 12:05
Scubatoys runs a retail store, an online retail site "scubatoys.com" - and they stand behind all of their sales, whether new, demo, or used equipments. The FORUM that scubatoys runs (where we are now) is quite a different matter. This is like shopping in the classified ads, in your paper. If you bought a car in the classifieds from your local paper, would you have any expectation that the newspaper would help you out with any car trouble later?

I don't mean to sound harsh. I think you have the wrong idea about what the forums are...this is a community site for trading thoughts, ideas, jokes, ask questions, etc. There are areas of the forum for buyers and sellers to get together, however scubatoys is not selling those products, or managing the transaction.

So yes, all sales are buy beware.

fire diver
07-15-2009, 12:31
Anytime you are looking at used regulators, you have to factor in a few things.

Is the model still serviceable (some older regs can't be serviced any more)?

Factor in shipping costs into the reg price.

Factor in the cost of an annual service of the reg into the costs.

After looking at all theses, is the price still good or are you close to the cost of a new one? Perosnally, I don't typically buy used gear unless the total cost is about half of the new one.

SkItZo
07-15-2009, 12:42

After looking at all theses, is the price still good or are you close to the cost of a new one? Perosnally, I don't typically buy used gear unless the total cost is about half of the new one.

The Atomic SS1 goes for $249 if I'm not mistaking and the guy is selling it for less than half that including shipping so it seems like a steal he said he purchased it in 05 and last had it serviced in march of 08 so it's still within recommended service interval. Also that it still breaths effortlessly?!?!?!?

SkItZo
07-15-2009, 12:46
Scubatoys runs a retail store, an online retail site "scubatoys.com" - and they stand behind all of their sales, whether new, demo, or used equipments. The FORUM that scubatoys runs (where we are now) is quite a different matter. This is like shopping in the classified ads, in your paper. If you bought a car in the classifieds from your local paper, would you have any expectation that the newspaper would help you out with any car trouble later?

I don't mean to sound harsh. I think you have the wrong idea about what the forums are...this is a community site for trading thoughts, ideas, jokes, ask questions, etc. There are areas of the forum for buyers and sellers to get together, however scubatoys is not selling those products, or managing the transaction.

So yes, all sales are buy beware.

I know the last part of that question as far as ST giving any guarantee was pretty redundant but hey....... it was worth asking so what the hell!!!
I've just been skrewd before and HATE BUYING FROM INDEPENDENT SELLERS off the internet!!! Especially when you have nothing to show a back rating like on E-Bay........

MSilvia
07-15-2009, 12:48
I ... HATE BUYING FROM INDEPENDENT SELLERS off the internet!!!
There's a really easy solution. Don't do it if it bothers you.

There are plenty of factory authorized regulator retailers... like scubatoys. Some of them will even give you a discount... like scubatoys.

CompuDude
07-15-2009, 13:09
You're buying from an individual, not ScubaToys. ST has nothing to do with a private sale.

That said, Atomics are great regs and probably just fine. Don't sweat the warranty, as there is little that the warranty would cover short of a manufacturer's defect, which would already have been apparent if the original owner has been using the reg.

Atomic warranty doesn't cover service/parts anyway, so no harm there. Just have the regs serviced by a qualified Atomic tech (like ScubaToys) before using them and you should be good to go.

The good news is if you are buying from someone HERE, on the forum, even though we don't have eBay-style rating systems, we do have online reputations to worry about. If it's from someone newly registered with very few posts, view them with suspicion, because they have no vested interest in their reputation here. If you're buying from someone who has been registered for a long time, and very active in threads with lots of posts, then you can feel much safer knowing they have some actual reputation around here. There may even be other members here who know them in real life and can vouch for them. In the end, though, it's up to you, and it's your money.

Jack Hammer
07-15-2009, 14:17

The Atomic SS1 goes for $249 if I'm not mistaking and the guy is selling it for less than half that including shipping so it seems like a steal he said he purchased it in 05 and last had it serviced in march of 08 so it's still within recommended service interval. Also that it still breaths effortlessly?!?!?!?
This means little. I'd still have it checked out before I used it. About the only people I would trust a used Reg from to be fine are a shop where I know it's been fully checked out or people I dive with and personally know (so I'm aware of how they treat their gear). If you get it, pay the extra and have it fully serviced, then you know it's fine.

Jack