PDA

View Full Version : Planning Dives in Grand Caymans

thor
07-15-2009, 16:48
So I am not going to be there that long, and have two diving days. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am only doing one dive the day before we fly, which will be to Stingray City, on Friday. On Thursday I have the option of doing a two tank in the morning, a two tank in the afternoon, and/or a night dive. I will be diving nitrox. The Mrs. thinks I should limit the diving to 3 dives; the morning and the night. I'm thinking about adding the afternoon two tank dive also (5 dives total). I know it depends upon how deep I'm going but is this too much diving for one day? If I'm questioning it, I guess it probably is, but I'll leave it up to discussion.

mselizann
07-15-2009, 17:14
I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with multiple dives. To me- 6 tanks in 24 hours, with one being Stingray City (easy, shallow, fluff dive), is not too much.
By the way- what time is your flight the next day? What dive op are you using?

ianr33
07-15-2009, 19:19
You should be fine with 5 dives. The first dive on each trip will almost certainly be guided and will be within air NDL's which gives you a lot of padding diving nitrox. Just do the normal stuff.Stay hydrated,ascend slowly and do long safety stops

Who are you diving with and where will you do the night dive ?

thesmoothdome
07-15-2009, 19:25
you should be fine doing 5 dives on nitrox one day and then 1 dive to 12 feet the next then flying the following day. Enjoy it. There's some great diving there. Stingray City is a blast.

thor
07-15-2009, 20:47
Ok, that makes me feel better.
I'm diving with Ocean Frontiers on the east end.

mselizann
07-15-2009, 21:44
yay! I'm an owner at Morritt's (next door)...............where are you staying?

Damselfish
07-16-2009, 06:10
5 dives a day is not uncommon in a major dive destination and I've done it plenty of times. I don't usually keep that up for a whole week (not because it's unsafe, but simply because I'd like a little more hammock time.) But if I had only one full dive day in Cayman I'd definitely be trying to get in 5.

thor
07-17-2009, 13:43

Reef Resort.

I just booked my dives. Not as strenuous as I thought (at least not on paper). The second dives are reef dives and are around 60 feet. The night dive site is about 30 feet. Who knows, maybe I'll want some extra hammock time instead of bottom time.

mselizann
07-17-2009, 20:02

Reef Resort.

I just booked my dives. Not as strenuous as I thought (at least not on paper). The second dives are reef dives and are around 60 feet. The night dive site is about 30 feet. Who knows, maybe I'll want some extra hammock time instead of bottom time.

sounds good! I think you should be fine. I do like the Reef's pool set up- they are small, but so pretty. Have fun! snorkeling is good around there- we usually walk way up past Morritt's and drift down to the Reef.

thor
07-20-2009, 10:50

Reef Resort.

sounds good! I think you should be fine. I do like the Reef's pool set up- they are small, but so pretty. Have fun! snorkeling is good around there- we usually walk way up past Morritt's and drift down to the Reef.

You'll have to give me some recommendations for some good places to eat. We plan on renting a car.

Skinsfan1311
07-20-2009, 11:44
Ok, that makes me feel better.
I'm diving with Ocean Frontiers on the east end.

Great choice! You will love diving with OF.

The Morritt's is one of our favorite places to stay. We stayed at the Seaside Bldg last summer and hope to do so again in the near future. I think that the food is much better now, since Mike took over as food & beverage manager. Is he still there?

Reef Resort.

I would dive as much as possible. The reefs, and swimthroughs on the East End are spectacular. One of the things that I like about diving with OF is that they let you dive your computers. If you're diving with them for more than a day, they will also rinse and store your gear. They are a top-notch outfit.

Have fun!

mselizann
07-20-2009, 13:19
I love Morritt's too- I think our F&B manager is the same.........

thor
07-28-2009, 14:10
Can anyone recommend a good rental car company in Grand Cayman, and approx how much per day it should cost?

ianr33
07-28-2009, 19:41
I've always used Andys
Grand Cayman Car Rental - Andy's Car Rental Cayman Islands (http://www.andys.ky/)
Book it on the web before you go. The little 2 seater jeeps are great shore diving vehices.

jpep
07-30-2009, 11:04
Since you are staying at the Reef Resort, you will definitely need a car, as it is approximately 45 minutes from the airport, cabs would be prohibitively expensive and puiblic transportation not much of an option onhe East End.

Some good restaurants on the East End would include Portofino's and the Lighthouse. For something quite casual, consider Over The Edge. On the Northside, try the Kaibo Yacht Club. You may want to avoid Rum Point and the Wreck Bar when several cruise ships are in and on Sundays, as it tends to get crowded.

As for car rentals, as suggested, if you book with Andy's online 2 weeks prior to departure and use "CAG20" as a discount code, you will get a 20% discount. Economy is also a good rental car option.

Check out Grand Cayman and Cayman Islands Complete Vacation Holiday Information and Savings Guide (http://www.caymanactivityguide.com) for dining and activity tips, maps, discounts and coupons.

Have a great trip and safe diving. :smiley20:

gee
07-30-2009, 22:20
You made an excellent choice of a dive Op in GC. You obviously did your homework! I usually get a dive package with Ocean Frontier & Compass Point that includes a rental car. Have a great time!

thor
08-11-2009, 00:04
So I just came back, and first, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I stayed at The Reef resort and was very happy. Beautiful place. Great rooms. Very nice beach. Loved the east end. I felt like I was really staying on the island instead of just a resort.

Dived with Ocean Frontiers. Best dive op I have ever dived with. Friendly, fun, and knowledgeable. Nice boats. Small number of divers, and they are right down the road from The Resort. Rinsed my gear and set it up. (although I did have to make some minor adjustments. Next time I'll just tell them to hold my gear for me overnight, but not to set it up.)

Thursday we dived Black Rock, and then Dragon's Lair. Then a Night Dive at Sunset Reef, which was phenomenal. Rays, Lobsters, Octopus, Squid, Turtles, etc. Learned a cool trick to use your light to feed bloodworms to the anemones. Awesome.

Friday we had a choice of either Stingray city or doing a two tank dive at the North Wall. We opted for the North Wall and dived Eagle Ray pass, and came across three Eagle Rays and a giant turtle. No hammerheads unfortunately.
Then we dived the Queen's Throne. Brilliant dive.

All in all, a great trip. I miss it already.

navyhmc
08-11-2009, 04:26
Glad to know you had fun Thor!!!

mselizann
08-11-2009, 07:40
awesome! I'm so jealous!!! Only 4 months until our next trip down there......

thor
08-11-2009, 10:51
Since you are staying at the Reef Resort, you will definitely need a car, as it is approximately 45 minutes from the airport, cabs would be prohibitively expensive and puiblic transportation not much of an option onhe East End.

Some good restaurants on the East End would include Portofino's and the Lighthouse. For something quite casual, consider Over The Edge. On the Northside, try the Kaibo Yacht Club. You may want to avoid Rum Point and the Wreck Bar when several cruise ships are in and on Sundays, as it tends to get crowded.

As for car rentals, as suggested, if you book with Andy's online 2 weeks prior to departure and use "CAG20" as a discount code, you will get a 20% discount. Economy is also a good rental car option.

Check out Grand Cayman and Cayman Islands Complete Vacation Holiday Information and Savings Guide (http://www.caymanactivityguide.com) for dining and activity tips, maps, discounts and coupons.

Have a great trip and safe diving. :smiley20:

These were all great suggestions. Rented from Andy's, although it ended up cheaper on the internet somehow without putting in the code.

All good restaurants. We ate at Casanova in G-town, Over the Edge (I enjoyed the most for lunch) and Kaibo Yacht club for lunch. Portifino, the restaurant at the Reef, and the Lighthouse for dinner. All were excellent. The Lighthouse was by far the most memerable. We ate at table #50 ( or was it 15), which is the only outdoor table. It basically sits on it's own private deck. You are literally eating over the water, listening to the waves crash just a few feet below you. During most of dessert we had the pleasure of watching a reef shark swim about 50 feet away from us. I will never forget that.

jpep
08-18-2009, 06:26
Glad to hear you had a great time and that you enjoyed the restaurants! :smiley20:

I know which table you are referring to at the Lighthouse... probably the best seat in the house. During peak season you have to reserve it far in advance.

Eagle Ray Pass is indeed an awesome dive. Although I have never dived with Ocean Frontiers, as we stay on SMB, I have heard nothing but great things about them. As I have dived the west, south and north sides, one of these days I'd like to dive the east end with OF.

Looking forward to our return in December.... and getting wet. Can't come soon enough!

mselizann
08-18-2009, 07:13
Glad to hear you had a great time and that you enjoyed the restaurants! :smiley20:

I know which table you are referring to at the Lighthouse... probably the best seat in the house. During peak season you have to reserve it far in advance.

Eagle Ray Pass is indeed an awesome dive. Although I have never dived with Ocean Frontiers, as we stay on SMB, I have heard nothing but great things about them. As I have dived the west, south and north sides, one of these days I'd like to dive the east end with OF.

Looking forward to our return in December.... and getting wet. Can't come soon enough!

We'll be there Dec 11-18, when will you be there?:biggrinbounce2:

jpep
08-18-2009, 15:44

We'll be there Dec 11-19 and staying on SMB.

mselizann
08-18-2009, 16:24

cool! Who are you diving with? We are staying at Morritt's....

jpep
08-18-2009, 16:53

cool! Who are you diving with? We are staying at Morritt's....

I have been diving with Keith & Casey from Neptune's Divers for several years. Great dive op with no more than 8 divers max. Professional and safe, but also genuinely good people. They have 2 boats... one for West & South dives and the other for the North wall, depending on weather/water conditions.

Since you are staying at Morritt's, guess you'll be diving with Ocean Frontiers?

If you plan to head over to SMB, I'd highly recommend them. If I get a chance to get to the East End, I'd go with OF. :smiley20:

mselizann
08-19-2009, 05:52
We actually dive with Don Foster's 3 out of 8 days- that way we can do some shopping/dining in the evening in town before heading back to the East End