PDA

View Full Version : Underwater maps

Silvia
08-26-2007, 16:50
Has anybody seen underwater topographic or contour maps of dive sites? I think they'd be great navigation aids, and have not been able to find any sources.

WV Diver
08-26-2007, 17:29
Normally if there are any for a particular area it would likely be found from the local Corps of Engineers facility. They often have these maps for lakes, reservoirs, navigation channels/areas and many marine environments such as bays.

You can always make your own for small areas like your local dive sites and the like, they are fun to produce and good to help you with underwater nav skills.

Many big lakes that have alot of fishing tournaments or even just alot of traffic will give these maps out at the information desk.

Buoyant1
08-26-2007, 18:16
My LDS has the DM candidates do maps of the site we use fairly often as their project. I think this years project, while similar, was to create a "tour" of the highlights of the one section of quarry with compass headings, etc.

I DO know that the map that they give you at another local site CAN'T be trusted with how they have the map arranged vs. real life...one of my dive buddies has created his own map with headings.

WV Diver
08-26-2007, 18:31
Underwater maps should have headings for both directions, distances, sizes of objects, depths, contours and definately a north arrow. You would be surprised how good an underwater map of a dive site can be both in accuracy and scale with a little patience and practice.

turtle_guy
08-26-2007, 20:04
It would be cool if they were printed on that waterproof paper then you could hold underwater orienteering matches

Jaymeany
08-26-2007, 20:11
would a good zip-lock baggy work or super think lamination?

WV Diver
08-26-2007, 20:13
Rite-in-the-rain paper works best, next to lamination, but you need a good hp laser jet printer for best results, especially with color.